Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cotton harvest

Options
  • 24-04-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

has anyone done there regional work ona cotton farm?whats it like and would you recomend?
    im 80% sure me and the girlfriend have jobs on a cotton farm south of brisbane...place called bourke i think!anyone been there or know of anyone that was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Mate, Bourke is just over 900k SW of Brisbane about 11hrs drive.
    It's the last settlement before you hit the outback and gives rise to the expession "back o' Bourke". Basically beyond it north and west is all bush. Small town known for sheep and cotton farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sorry OP for going a bit off topic as I can't answer your question myself.
    However, can anyone tell me is the land beyond Burke and those type of places fertile or just red earth or what? How far in before the decent land ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Around Bourke, the Darling river provides irrigation to grow crops like cotton. Land fertility is higher closer to the water source. It's amazing to think that this one of the driest countries in the world, can produce such an amount of food. And a lot of that is down to clever irrigation. I'm not sure exactly but it's probably around 100k out when you run out of easily accessible irrigation. So there's sheep grazing, not on lush green fields but scrubby looking wheaten coloured grass. Generally the soil beneath all of this is that orange red colour. The outback has a lot of scrubby looking vegetation, low to the ground and in clumps as groundcover and depending on where you go, there can sometimes be quite a few trees. You'll notice farmers tend to keep trees in their paddocks, this is to preserve the soil and avoid erosion, loss of moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

Smac! wrote: »
    has anyone done there regional work ona cotton farm?whats it like and would you recomend?
    im 80% sure me and the girlfriend have jobs on a cotton farm south of brisbane...place called bourke i think!anyone been there or know of anyone that was?

did you ever get to do your cotton farming in bourke or what happened?
    looking for farming work in 2013 and i would prefer cotton if you could tell me about your experience i would appreciate it :)

Advertisement