Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold callers? Door to door? ENOUGH!?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Ok, im living in Offaly at the moment and over this months have been receiving A LOT door to door callers. But this weeks... Im getting TEN'S OF THEM PER DAY! :eek:

Today i even had children coming asking for money. A broadband seller who told me that im a stupid f*** ... told her that im happy with my provider and have no intention to change over no matter how cheap they are...

And they are coming at me and callin and calling and calling.. and they are angry that i say NO.. if i dont go to open the door they keep calling and knocking... what a f***!??? I want some piece...

Anyone knows the solution? I even wanted to pick up a phone and call the gards :( getting depressed over this :mad:

anyone else gets this trouble? has solutions!? I saw some other threads with this, but no solutions there, and different regions.. and less call volumes there... this is getting ridiculous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Nothing really useful to offer,I had a lot recently but not more than 2/3 a day. All I did was disable my bell and add a "no cold callers" line over my "no junk mail" sign. Only did it yesterday so cant say how successful it is yet.....
    Good luck with it,Im hoping to save a fortune cos I wont hear the local kids looking for sponsorship!!( of which there are many )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Get a big Alsation and an electric gate. Secure your boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

A little sign on your door "No Cold Callers or Junk Mail"...simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Same here, 3 to 4 calling most days. What annoys me is that they are from the same companies and charities repeatedly.
    Put a sign on the door saying "no sales, no charities, no muzzle on dog"

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I just say 'Sorry, I'm in the process of moving house, won't be changing anything right now'...leaves them with no answer, and then I shut door. Or answer door with a phone to your ear.....................just say 'sorry, not today'... and close door before they can even talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 trish53

Im so sick and tired of people knocking on my door,selling tools,bedding,insurance,sky tv,broadband,home security,shall I go on. Nobody has time or money for this nonsense any more. Now I just take my Doberman to the door any time someone knocks,living rural with no neighbors he is an asset to me. LONG LIVE THE DOBERMANS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

I've had issues with this as well. Jehovas Witnesses, Eircom Phonewatch, Charities etc. Eircom pisses me off the most as I have repeatedly asked that they remove me from their list and am told that's not possible. I bitched about them on Twitter and they contacted me and said I was now on their "no call" list. We shall see, they're due back around any day now I would think.

I think it's unacceptable that we have the option to opt-out of phone call marketing but can still be harassed in our own home. There should be legal implications here.

As for the charities... if they can afford to pay someone to go door to door they are clearly not putting donations to a good use. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bycikas

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    I think it's unacceptable that we have the option to opt-out of phone call marketing but can still be harassed in our own home. There should be legal implications here.

I was thinking to get one of those 'home' crocodiles that i seen on tv , and grow them outside, next to my door-bell :D cause nothing helps me to get rid of them :(
    Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    As for the charities... if they can afford to pay someone to go door to door they are clearly not putting donations to a good use. Grrr.

Good point.. If they pay 400-500 per week (seen this numbers on FAS) they don't really put money into where they should...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LALUNE

It looks like the midlands are getting its fair share of cold callers. I am also based in the midlands . I posted an item here earlier today about being targeted . It was by no means the first time ive had a caller to the door like this. Usually I just say NO to whatever it is they are hawking but today I was caught off guard and I even asked the woman into my house. She was doing a survey for An Post and wanted to ask a few questions on a questionnaire. I felt sorry for her as she looked like a tired little woman struggling for a living... but I soon regretted it because her questions became very intrusive and personal until I had to show her the door. The incident shook me up. Beware the ones who look least threatening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Just a reminder to be careful re: cold callers. My aunt lives in the durrow area and had two callers last week, wanting to read her passages from some religious things. She had stepped outside and closed the door behind her to talk to them. she told them she wasn't interested in their religious speech that she had her own religion but they kept pushing at her to listen and she told them if they wouldn't leave her property she was calling the guards. Upon hearing this, they ran. They ran past their car which was parked outside her gate and disappeared. My aunt went and took the number of the car and did report it to the gardai and it turns out the car was stolen from a convent somewhere in Dublin. There were two squad cars out around durrow looking for the two men, didn't find them. About 45 mins later, the car (and them) were gone, heading back the kilbeggan direction. have no idea whether or not the guards caught them. So, just be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

Polloloca wrote: »
    Just a reminder to be careful re: cold callers. My aunt lives in the durrow area and had two callers last week, wanting to read her passages from some religious things. She had stepped outside and closed the door behind her to talk to them. she told them she wasn't interested in their religious speech that she had her own religion but they kept pushing at her to listen and she told them if they wouldn't leave her property she was calling the guards. Upon hearing this, they ran. They ran past their car which was parked outside her gate and disappeared. My aunt went and took the number of the car and did report it to the gardai and it turns out the car was stolen from a convent somewhere in Dublin. There were two squad cars out around durrow looking for the two men, didn't find them. About 45 mins later, the car (and them) were gone, heading back the kilbeggan direction. have no idea whether or not the guards caught them. So, just be careful.

Wow thats just crazy, guess im just lucky to never get cold callers lol. or it might be the noisy dogs and the sign saying "Dogs Bite" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

bycikas wrote: »
    Ok, im living in Offaly at the moment and over this months have been receiving A LOT door to door callers. But this weeks... Im getting TEN'S OF THEM PER DAY! :eek:

Today i even had children coming asking for money. A broadband seller who told me that im a stupid f*** ... told her that im happy with my provider and have no intention to change over no matter how cheap they are...

And they are coming at me and callin and calling and calling.. and they are angry that i say NO.. if i dont go to open the door they keep calling and knocking... what a f***!??? I want some piece...

Anyone knows the solution? I even wanted to pick up a phone and call the gards :( getting depressed over this :mad:

anyone else gets this trouble? has solutions!? I saw some other threads with this, but no solutions there, and different regions.. and less call volumes there... this is getting ridiculous

I hear you. I answered one a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of cooking dinner, when I told him I was busy coolking dinner he said "Well so am I" and "aren't we all busy" - I slammed the door in his face.

It makes me into a rude person. I don't even bother answering anymore, simply go to the door (which has a glass piece to see outside) and wave them away.

I have found in the past couple of years that they are like "chuggers", when you answer and they tell you what they are selling (or in many cases they say firstly, I am not selling you anything??), I say no thank you and they moved on, now they simply don't. They try andget as much information as they can and do not accept no.

So my advice, open door, recognise seller, close door.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

daltonmd wrote: »

I hear you. I answered one a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of cooking dinner, when I told him I was busy coolking dinner he said "Well so am I" and "aren't we all busy" - I slammed the door in his face.

It makes me into a rude person. I don't even bother answering anymore, simply go to the door (which has a glass piece to see outside) and wave them away.

I have found in the past couple of years that they are like "chuggers", when you answer and they tell you what they are selling (or in many cases they say firstly, I am not selling you anything??), I say no thank you and they moved on, now they simply don't. They try andget as much information as they can and do not accept no.

So my advice, open door, recognise seller, close door.

I just got a great idea, get a big ass water gun.... (you know where this is going) ... open a window or something and open fire. that'll get them going :)

Edit: If you're worried about getting in trouble, get your kids todo it, all good then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

During the last recession in the mid 80s, the only work that I could find was door-to-door selling, selling for a fundraising company. It was the worst job in the world but it was better than nothing. One plus side was that I got to see a bit of the country. Spent a few weeks in Offaly as well. Offaly had a reputation for being the tightest county in Ireland though and I found that out to be true. I was also assaulted and attacked by a dog there, just for trying to make a small income. Pity things haven't changed in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Deman - people have the right to not be harrassed in their own homes and on their own doorstep. I don't care how any person earns their living as long as it doesn't involve them trespassing on my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

deman wrote: »
    During the last recession in the mid 80s, the only work that I could find was door-to-door selling, selling for a fundraising company. It was the worst job in the world but it was better than nothing. One plus side was that I got to see a bit of the country. Spent a few weeks in Offaly as well. Offaly had a reputation for being the tightest county in Ireland though and I found that out to be true. I was also assaulted and attacked by a dog there, just for trying to make a small income. Pity things haven't changed in the county.
    It's not about the seller making the money,otherwise you might aswell just go out and beg.its about rude people trying to forcefeed you junk that you don't want and mostly telling barefaced lies to try and sell you their junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Release the hounds.. :-)

Advertisement