Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rent Allowance rates for Carlow is a Joke

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

1st of all i'm going to say i didn't choose to be on the dole so don't label just so we're clear
    This thread is for those of us (& anyone else who cares) who are unfortunate enough to find ourselves out of work & looking for rent allowance :'(

In Our case Couple with 1 child or one-parent with 1 child
    The new rates for Carlow is €550 Maximum.
    Now where the hell are we meant to get somewhere Half decent that's not a S#it hole & is €550 or less per month . . ? Our landlord is refusing to lower our rent so don't know what to do :(

Here is link with NEW rates http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

SIX PACK wrote: »
    1st of all i'm going to say i didn't choose to be a dole bum so don't dare label just so we're clear
    This thread is for those of us (& anyone else who cares) who are unfortunate enough to find ourselves out of work & looking for rent allowance :'(

Now where the hell are we meant to get somewhere Half decent that's not a S#it hole & is €550 or less per month . . ? Our landlord is refusing to lower our rent so don't know what to do :(

Here is link with NEW rates http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

i know about this for months, as i kinda wrok in the area, for a single person it's €350 absolutely disgraceful.

Carlow now has the lowest rates for single people in Ireland.
    i know of many complaints made to the department by welfare officers and their superiors, we all have a theory as to what happened but cannot say it on here.

I am finding that many landlords are lowering rent due to the imminent possibility of their property being empty.

are you in receipt of rent allowance for more than 18 months continuously, you may be entitled to the RAS scheme if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Only Rent allowance since Sept 2011 when i lost my Job. I know the country is broke & they have to make savings where possible.
    I think their is no future in this Country for many of us.
    So its Dubai or Canada if the right opportunity arises.
    I have to say Dubai looks more appealing warmer weather cheaper fuel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Only Rent allowance since Sept 2011 when i lost my Job. I know the country is broke & they have to make savings where possible.
    I think their is no future in this Country for many of us.
    So its Dubai or Canada if the right opportunity arises.
    I have to say Dubai looks more appealing warmer weather cheaper fuel etc

Its such a shame its come to that though for u and everyone alike

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

[SIZE="4"]1st of all i'm going to say i didn't choose to be a dole bum so don't dare label just so we're clear [/SIZE]

Em this isn't low at all? It would be low in Dublin, but not in Carlow. Be grateful you get anything, social welfare in this country is far more generous than in other countries. Hop over to the UK and see how much you'd get there.

(posted by 'a dole bum')

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Andy!! wrote: »
    Em this isn't low at all? It would be low in Dublin, but not in Carlow. Be grateful you get anything, social welfare in this country is far more generous than in other countries. Hop over to the UK and see how much you'd get there.

(posted by 'a dole bum')

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought social welfare rates were calculated based on what the EU regulators think is enough to get by in a certain country.

Therefore what you get in Ireland is no better than what you get anywhere else in the European Union because they are all determined on the same criteria.

I'm not at all certain on this though,I'm just going on what I was told by a local councilor.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Are you for real?

Suggesting that €550 per month in paid rent is too little, and patrickC complaining that €350 for a single person isn't enough.

Here is a link to daft, for places to rent in Carlow that's are minimum 2 bed, maximum bed priced below €550pm, and there are 35 properties.

Fair enough, you didn't choose to be on the dole, but suggesting that only having 35 properties to choose from and whining about it is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

7BEmY

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

1st of all i'm going to say i didn't choose to be on the dole so don't label just so we're clear

He will drop.
    But if he is broke himself he may play Deperado and you may move.
    There are many empty properties and the only way is down,
    They have to let rents float.
    They are broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

If I was in the UK I would have a council house within 6 months , The average wait in Ireland is 5+ years. Which is ridiculous considering the amount of vacant properties in Ireland , Carlow having the highest proportion of vacant properties in Ireland.

Hop over to the UK and see how much you'd get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

(posted by 'a dole bum')

2,000 thousand pounds a month....is not unusual in the uk....although there are plans afloat to lower that in a lot of places.....

the average is 700 pounds a month....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

godwin wrote: »
    If I was in the UK I would have a council house within 6 months , The average wait in Ireland is 5+ years. Which is ridiculous considering the amount of vacant properties in Ireland , Carlow having the highest proportion of vacant properties in Ireland.

Council houses in the UK are few and far between. The vast majority are owned & run by Housing Associations(Trusts). And with Uk in recession again and bordering on it for the past 12 months, then the waiting period for new tenants is growing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Council houses in the UK are few and far between. The vast majority are owned & run by Housing Associations(Trusts). And with Uk in recession again and bordering on it for the past 12 months, then the waiting period for new tenants is growing all the time.

housing trusts in the uk...are run along the line of council housing....they get the same government grants as the councils......if you have children, you are on avererage waiting about 6 months for social housing....that varies from area to area.....but you can rent a suitable house and you will get housing benifit to cover that amount, if you are not working....if you are you can get housing benifit depending on your earnings....

godwin wrote: »

Unless empty properties are taken quickly the will be uninhabitable.There are Three estates that I know that have been looted and will be burnt out by September.
    Carlow UDC will not provide another new house for the next 15 years,You need a miracle ,I wish you and yours the very best,but be prepared for some drastic cuts over the next five years.
    A place with a good size garden rather than stuck in an apartment , a water butt and a hen coop with 3 birds.
    You get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

It will only going lower as far as I can see it for the next 2- 3 years. Rent Allowance Supplement will be cut and the Dole will be cut. Best thing is to tighten your budget and apply for Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS).

GL

From memory there was a 7 year gap between Dereen Heights 1978? to Staplestown Road 1985 to John Sweeney Park late 1985?..Fr Byrne Park to Zilch for almost ten years.

This downturn is much worse,all money will be kept to pay the bureaucracy to collect taxes for the Banksters.

Many will revert to home agriculture as in the fifties and sixties to avoid the levys and to provide a little extra outside government tax extortion net.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think its plenty. You could easily find a place for that without even counting you have the dole and child benefit on top of that. At worst you might have to move somewhere you don't love but beggars cant be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Poor you

There shouldn't even be rent allowance, dole and that's it

550 a month is plenty.

71 results on.

http://www.daft.ie

Fine house here 550

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1183342

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

GarIT wrote: »
    I think its plenty. You could easily find a place for that without even counting you have the dole and child benefit on top of that. At worst you might have to move somewhere you don't love but beggars cant be choosers.

It's a joke alright.

Dole, child benefit, rent allowance 550e and probably FIS as well and still complaining.

No wonder the ECB hates ous.

We want everything for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

RealistSpy wrote: »
    It will only going lower as far as I can see it for the next 2- 3 years. Rent Allowance Supplement will be cut and the Dole will be cut. Best thing is to tighten your budget and apply for Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS).

GL

from what i know about the Rental Accomodation Scheme it is not available to many of the people who are currently on rent supplement due to them being involved in anti social behavioiur or other criminal behaviour, the vetting is very strict with a Garda check being done. also the landlord can object to any candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

RoverZT wrote: »
    It's a joke alright.

Dole, child benefit, rent allowance 550e and probably FIS as well and still complaining.

Maybe get your facts straight before pontificating - someone on the 'dole' can't get FIS.
    Everyone with children - including Michael O Leary - get's child benefit.

RoverZT wrote: »
    It's a joke alright.

Don't forget fuel allowence :P

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Maybe get your facts straight before pontificating - someone on the 'dole' can't get FIS.
    Everyone with children - including Michael O Leary - get's child benefit.

Just because everyone gets it that doesn't mean you can't use it for your rent.

This isn't about who gets what. This is about if people can afford accommodation on the new rates and yes they can without much bother.

The Old people used to call you Tuppence Half Penny Looking down on Tuppence.

I have not read posters names but can see Wage slaves two months from the ditch attacking another unfortunate one month from the ditch.

The hats are still being tipped furiously in the hope of a pat from your owners.
    Grow a pair,

When your kid asks what did you do during the Great Bank War when Ireland escaped from the Rothschilds.What will your answer be?
    I insulted and persecuted those worse off than me,but Mr Sutherland allowed me to use his private toilet.

Ask any FG member where was his grandfather in the War of Independence?
    The answer is similar to this,"He used to empty Lord Opiums potty and after three years Lord Opium allowed him to put the contents in his pocket and bring it home.
    And everyone of them says Lord Givemeyourdaughter was a decent man every Christmas He gave a half crown before he took anyones daughter.

That is what the landless FG supporters repeated for sixty years.and the hated their own kind.

People joined FG out of embarrassment of their useless collaborator families.

Don't make a show of your kids.

sean-FitzPatrick_1044145c.jpg

Poor Seanie ,They let him out for an hour to attend the sons wedding in Ballymun community centre.

He has three years served in an eighty year sentence,

He is looking shook.

I suppose I should respect my betters and pretend I have amnesia like the rest of you.

35a_03_Sutherland_415x275.jpg

This master is so far above most of you mangy peasants that I will not tell you who he is.
    No hat tipping here..all out boot licking expected.

This Lord of the Skies has been honoured by His Holy PAPLYness Benedidt the Buggerer LXXXX! and by Her most Majestic inbreds Elisabeth Queen of the sacred turds.
    Just handover the money Paddy.

And Remember if you meet a fellow Irishman in Distress.pretend that you are a British Royal Lackey ,insult ,torture and break him and then fire him and his useless bairns out in to the ditch.and laugh.

Do you feel better now?
    Empty my commode Mick or I will make you eat it again..
    Yes Lordbabyslaughter,Yes,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sinsin, I don't know what you are trying to say but you can stop saying it. You're posts don't make sense and are not contributing to the discussion. Thanks

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Sinsin, I don't know what you are trying to say but you can stop saying it. You're posts don't make sense and are not contributing to the discussion. Thanks

That's putting it mildly. Why not remove the posts? They read like the ramblings of a mental case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's putting it mildly. Why not remove the posts? They read like the ramblings of a mental case.

We've been advised not to delete or edit posts unless necessary as to show people what behavior is not acceptable.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement