Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extend WiFi network from UPC router

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have UPC broadband (which is great) in my home but I'd like to extend the WiFi network with some form of a wireless extender so that the signal can be picked up upstairs where its quite weak (have played around with moving the router).
    Is there a form of WiFi router I can buy which I can plug into a network cable connected to one of the ports of my existing router which can provide a stronger WiFi service? I'd be interested in a router which could also give me a couple of extra network ports as well as the WiFi signal
    I'd be curious how this would work - hopefully both the UPC router and this extender router would both have the same SSID but just different channels so that WiFI capable gear could switch from one to the other easily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Not sure about your home layout but sometime Wireless extenders are based on GIGO (Garbage In - Garbage Out -=> noise in noise out ) i meant that is the incoming to be amplified WiFi signal is in low quality and with high noise is not doing you any favors.

Try to run a physical cable from 'now' location to 'desired' or 'possible to reach' location and instal a separate Wireless Router,anything that your hands can get it... then,use same SSID,same WAP2 key,different channel,different IP address range on LAN with WAN on dynamic address (obtained from UPC router) and ... have fun !

Always change the default login password (and username if possible) on the new purchased router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Advertisement