Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Surround System - Internal Component Question.

• 24-04-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I've a problem with a Sony STR-DB940.

I think that IC1207 is shot. It's one of these BA05T, a voltage regulator that's at fault. The IC is discontinued with Radionics and I'm not sure which of the Maplins alternatives is best suited.

Can anyone advise?

I can't seem to find an electronics forum where this post would probably be more suited.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

This looks to be the closest from Maplin but there's no data sheet there to look at.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/1a-low-dropout-fixed-positive-voltage-regulator-46321

Looks similar to a 7805.

One thing about the 7805 is that's it's only 100mV load regulation against 150mV on the BA05T. I don't know if this is important here.

I wouldn't want to give bad advice but if it were my amp, i would probably try a 7805 in place. I doubt it could do any damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks Fuzzy Clam.

I took this amp from a friend just for the speaker set but decided to have a stab at repairing the amp.

I'll give your suggestion a shot and report back.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I replaced the component as suggested. It's getting very hot again so obviously something else is causing this. Still no sound from any speaker output or headphones. I do have line signal via audio outs but something is going wrong on the amplifier side of things.

I've resoldered all relay joints although the relays did sound like they were working normally. I also tested the power amp ICs and they seem to have the correct voltages at all pins as per the service manual.

Next I'd like to trace the input signal through to the amplifier to see where it's getting 'lost'. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Advertisement