Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound Headphones

• 24-04-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Payday has come again and the credit card has been cleared.

Looking for a pair of headphones and I know next to nothing about the workd of quality headphones.
    What I do know is that I want them to sit around my ear and be comfortable to for up to maybe 4 hours at a time.

I have an X-Fi sound card or an Asus P67 Sabretooth to drive the sound with.

Will use for a lot of gaming, so surround sound is a plus. I would only want wireless if they were easy to charge and the sound quality was still good.
    (Again know nothign about this.)

I don't need a mic, have a desktop one but it won't be a mark against the headphones if they have one.

If they could not leak sound that would be great too, Girlfriend just doesn't understand that I need to hear "FIRE IN THE HOLE" every time someone throws a grenade in Counter Strike.

Budget is maybe €150, you'll have to really sell it to me to go over 100 though :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Will you be using them in a loud or quiet environment?

If it's loud you'd want "closed" headphones such as Audio Technica ATH-M50's or Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

"Open" headphones are good for quiet ambient environments. I have Audio Technica ATH AD700's which I quite like but I'm sure someone else could recommend others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I think closed would be better.
    Thanks!

I think closed would be better.
    Thanks!

Those two models are generally the most recommended closed headphones in that price range. I have the Audio Technica ATH M50s which I like a lot but I've heard very good reports about the Sennheisers although they are a bit more expensive. Depending where you get them they could be €150+.

I would beware of buying online. There are lots of dodgy sites selling headphones at prices that look very good. Make sure to google any site you're looking at to see if there are complaints.

I've used hifiheadphones.co.uk and would recommend them although you'll pay best part of €15-20 on postage for a big pair of headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Morf wrote: »
    Will you be using them in a loud or quiet environment?

If it's loud you'd want "closed" headphones such as Audio Technica ATH-M50's or Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

"Open" headphones are good for quiet ambient environments. I have Audio Technica ATH AD700's which I quite like but I'm sure someone else could recommend others.

Actually, is there any advantages/disadvantages to closed vs open headphones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Closed: stronger bass and isolation of background
    Open: wider soundstage but sound leakage - the amount of leakage depends on the headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭platinums

UPDATED: Great Review of a few of these Beauty's from the Eurogamer lot.

Head on over.

From the cheapish "Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital" to the Lunatic priced "Astro A50"

Antone got any personal experience with the Astro's?
    Also will i need a 71/5.1 sound card ( risking Darwin Award here )?

I just need to find moola for them astro's baby.
    Anyone want to purchase a liver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Avoid Astros or any other "gaming" / headphones. They're generally pants.

If you don't mind putting in some reading here's a fantastic break down of information.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-4-2012-headzone-added-revised-layout-links

Yeah, none of the headsets in that Eurogamer article are worth buying.

must have been all the pretty pictures that made me think it would be good. gonna read up Marko's other link tonight.
    Thanks

Edit - out of interest Brian, what do you use?

• Advertisement

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Antlion Audio Modmic

for an easy life, I might just get a pair of the AD700 from Amazon, around £100-130.

Now the question still stands: i take it i need a 7.1 sound card to drive these beauties, or indeed an external 7.1 processor ( Mixamp)?

I have a laptop, and it doesnt say Dolby anywhere. So external might be the best route. Thinking about it, theres no Optical out either. I might be stuffeD?

Antlion is a rather eloquent solution too!

Brian wrote: »
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Antlion Audio Modmic

Are these the open ones? I have them too I think.

I've gone off the M-50s pinching my temples where my glasses are and I'm listening to the ATH AD700s a lot lately.

Advertisement