Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did Lisbon Treaty affect the Commission?

• 24-04-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi i studying a business and law degree and there is a module on EU law. The exams are just a few weeks away so im trying my best to prepare myself. Im trying to understand the areas which the Lisbon Treaty impacted on most significantly. From what i read, the EU parliament has more power and influence now as can now pass more legislation by Co- decison with the EU council. I have also read how this means that the Commission has less influence but im not sure how this is the case as does all legislation not have to be initiated firstly by the Commission as was the case prior to the Lisbon treaty? If im not mistaken there will most likely be a reduced number of Commissioners from 31st October 2014, but this can be changed should the EU Council choose to retain the one member per state approach.
    So what has changed and how exactly if any has the Commission lost any influence since the Lisbon treaty?

Thanks,Regards
    Andrew

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I can recommend Chalmers on EU Law. This question is well covered off and your library should have a copy, if they don't, tell them to order one. It's €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TalkToEU John

You should be able to find some good information on the Referendum Commission’s website, www.lisbontreaty2009.ie, and on the EU’s website for the Lisbon treaty - http://europa.eu/lisbon_treaty/index_en.htm.

The Government’s “White Paper”, especially chapter five (page 49-52) which looks at the changes made to the EU institutions, does a good job breaking down the changes to the Commission.
    You can download the White Paper here (PDF)

Advertisement