Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do for the over 50s in Waterford

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi. I am just looking for suggestions for things to do outside work that doesnt involve alcohol for over 50s in Waterford. Im a female widow but not looking for any type of singles event. At the moment its work and home as the kids are moved out. Ive never had any particular hobbies as it was always work to earn for the kids. All suggestions welcome, thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

maybe look at getting involved in a voluntary organisation where you get to interact with folks but not in a relationship focused kind of way? Best of luck with working something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

What kind of stuff are you into,,,are you sporty,outgoing ,lazy ,introvert..looking to meet people or just looking to pass the time away.
    A gym would be my first choice if your not already in one..if money is not a question then crossfit waterford is a good choice,,savage workouts, bit severe but gaurenteed results + great bunch of ppl up there and would be sure to make friends fast..people of all ages so dont be worried(not that u should be)
    if its just a gym then Goldstone by all accounts is the place to be,,lot of great reviews on here for that place..im sure others will tell you all about it.
    +any ercercise is better than sittin on your ass

Golf,,number of clubs around,,heafty membership and clubs aint cheap ..can be as expensive as you want but im sure you would meet people and with summer comeing in theres gonna be a lot of people playing.,

other than that u got samba, spinning ,salsa,kettlebell, weightlifting ,chess, choir, u could even go to mass every day if you like...plenty to do,,hardest part is getting up and doing it,,,,hope you find what u want out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Stay the fcuk away from Canada square.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Take up raving, will give you a whole new lease of life :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fair play to you for looking for something to do. I know a few 50+ people who make no effort - just sit in and stew, and then complain about having nothing to do.

If you want to try the volunteer idea above, here's a thread that might help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77866664

Keep an eye out for community notice boards in supermarkets/shopping centres as well - they always seem to have leaflets and flyers about stuff happening.

Good luck!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Another idea would be to volunteer with a group like the Imagine Arts Festival. You can help out in the running of the event, attend the meetings, pitch some ideas as well as enjoying free tickets to the events when the festival comes around. PM me if you would like more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Few tennis clubs and squash clubs around if you are into that kinda stuff.
    I think I remember mentioning before about a dog walking group, that would be cool. There's loads of photography classes going on all the time which you might enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Nypd wrote: »
    Take up raving, will give you a whole new lease of life :D

worked for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Join your local camera club:

http://www.waterfordcameraclub.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

You can get a really good used SLR for around 200 euros these days and you'll get great use out of it, if only photographing the kids.

What's this about photographing kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

The goats in Bilberry - why what did you think I was talking about :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

the OP's kids i'd imagine....haha

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

Try tennis.
    Good exercise. Will meet new people. Very little chance of injury.
    Easy to play.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Take up poker as there are lots a texas holdem games all over the town with small buy ins.

Advertisement