Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance - any recomendations

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I think i've finally decided I'm getting the Sony Xperia S. I've never bothered with insurance before, but the thought of being in a 2yr contract and something happening to the phone is a bit worrying. I'm careful with phones, never lost, damaged or had one stolen, but guess there's always a first time!
    So any recomendations or better still who to stay away from:D
    I'm on the 3 network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you're not careful with phones then get it, or maybe consider putting the monthly cost of the insurance away into a savings account and use it when you need to or use it towards an upgrade. I personally think mobile insurance is a rip off. Just my opinion mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭boardtc

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I've never bothered with insurance before, but the thought of being in a 2yr contract and something happening to the phone is a bit worrying. I'm careful with phones, never lost, damaged or had one stolen, but guess there's always a first time!
    I'm on the 3 network.

I did get insurance for my htc legend previously, 7.99 a month with cpp. They did replace the handset when it got water damaged but it was a little cumbersome process. Meteor pushed a droid update out and the handset has never been the same since with it just recently becoming unusable, not responding on the touchscreen. Seemingly no insurance will cover software faults like this but defer to the manufacturer, so for the last six month I have felt the insurance has been a waste. I have not chased htc yet, if they replace it I will try and sell on the replacement handset.

As much as I have liked my out of contract bill lite monthly price recently, I want to get a newer handset, so am looking to move to 3 as well with a 2 year contract. The handset is expensive so I am worried like yourself, the 3 insurance deal with fonsure/pier is 12.99 pm, so I was also looking for a more reasonable recommended alternative.

Does anyone have experience with gadgetinsurance.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Ok, I think i've finally decided I'm getting the Sony Xperia S. I've never bothered with insurance before, but the thought of being in a 2yr contract and something happening to the phone is a bit worrying. I'm careful with phones, never lost, damaged or had one stolen, but guess there's always a first time!
    I'm on the 3 network.

Do u have an ulster bank ufirst a/c, they give u free phone insurance.or carphone warehouse offer cheap enough phone insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Do u have an ulster bank ufirst a/c, they give u free phone insurance.or carphone warehouse offer cheap enough phone insurance.

Its not cheaper but it does cover more things. Though you wont have to deal with stuff over the phone either as you can just walk into the shop. You have to buy the phone from them too in order to be able to sign up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My suggestion? Buy a phone you can afford to lose and don't waste money on insurance that'll fight tooth and nail not to pay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

My suggestion? Buy a phone you can afford to lose and don't waste money on insurance that'll fight tooth and nail not to pay out.

Not everyone can afford to lose a 600 euro phone. Your suggestion is like saying to buy a car that you can afford to crash.

Every insurance company will always look for ins and outs not to pay. Its a gamble. You can win it if your smart enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭boardtc

Gadgetinsurance.ie is 79 per year plus 12 to add loss cover. This is a decent price compared to most insurance policies I have seen plus it not only covers your phone but other gadgets too.

But does anyone have experience with claiming them, are they to be recommend?

Advertisement