Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time-frame between occurrence of attacks and dates they appear on Crimecall.

• 24-04-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Watching Crimecall tonight and previous episodes I still can't believe the time frame it takes for them to show certain crimes from the time they happened to the time it takes for them to appear on the show. Tonight they featured two different attacks that occurred in 2010 and were looking for evidence or to jog people's memories. I feel this is a joke to be honest. In fairness how are people mean't to remember what happened two years ago and on a specific date ? For all the Gardai know the attackers could be either dead or have left the country. I feel that attacks or crimes that occur should be featured within the month in order to give the public a better chance of catching or identifying the culprits as it will be fresh in their minds. Asking people to try and remember if a guy or girl had blood or a scratch on them from an attack they might have been involved in two years ago is a bit of a joke. Just wondering whats people's opinions on this? I for one know that if I was one of the victims of a crime I'd want to the best opportunity possible for the criminal to be caught and I feel showing cctv footage or making appeals two years after a crime is virtually no use to bringing any criminal to justice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Are you disappointed they didn't feature you before this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

efficiency is not part of our public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

FFS it's used when other avenues have been exhausted - I presume it takes time to realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You do realise that they only feature a tiny fraction of the total amount of crimes that actually occur in this country, don't you?

It's probably seen as a last resort of sorts when tradition investigation methods have borne little or no fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I wonder how many crimes have been solved with information garnered from Crimecall phone ins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think that attack from 2010 was shown before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

OP - surely you know it takes the Gardai quite awhile, to work through their backlog of doughnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They should have a crimecall channel and broadcast stuff 24/7. Any cctv footage, wanted persons, missing persons, suspect vehicles, crime locations, emergency broadcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MagicSean wrote: »
    They should have a crimecall channel and broadcast stuff 24/7. Any cctv footage, wanted persons, missing persons, suspect vehicles, crime locations, emergency broadcasts.

What we really want is cctv footage of people ridin' down alleys and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

clearodara wrote: »
    Watching Crimecall tonight and previous episodes I still can't believe the time frame it takes for them to show certain crimes from the time they happened to the time it takes for them to appear on the show. Tonight they featured two different attacks that occurred in 2010 and were looking for evidence or to jog people's memories. I feel this is a joke to be honest. In fairness how are people mean't to remember what happened two years ago and on a specific date ? For all the Gardai know the attackers could be either dead or have left the country. I feel that attacks or crimes that occur should be featured within the month in order to give the public a better chance of catching or identifying the culprits as it will be fresh in their minds. Asking people to try and remember if a guy or girl had blood or a scratch on them from an attack they might have been involved in two years ago is a bit of a joke. Just wondering whats people's opinions on this? I for one know that if I was one of the victims of a crime I'd want to the best opportunity possible for the criminal to be caught and I feel showing cctv footage or making appeals two years after a crime is virtually no use to bringing any criminal to justice.

1 - I hate to be a grammar Nazi, but ffs PARAGRAPHS!

2 - I assume possibly beacuse they've already explored the more obvious possibilities and that takes time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My eyes hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

good luck reading that with dyslexia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

hondasam wrote: »
    I think that attack from 2010 was shown before.

Nothing but repeats on RTE these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

It's because they're looking for new leads in the case, and it has been known to work on Crimewatch UK (which is effectively what Crimecall copies) because it jogs people's memories. For example, straight after a crime the person who committed the crime is likely to flee the country and will perhaps return a few weeks afterwards not expecting any attention to be on them anymore. Again, this also applies to Crimewatch UK.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there is a reason behind why Crimecall are showing old cases, but it's still shite in comparison to Crimewatch UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's because they're looking for new leads in the case, and it has been known to work on Crimewatch UK (which is effectively what Crimecall copies) because it jogs people's memories. For example, straight after a crime the person who committed the crime is likely to flee the country and will perhaps return a few weeks afterwards not expecting any attention to be on them anymore. Again, this also applies to Crimewatch UK.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there is a reason behind why Crimecall are showing old cases, but it's still shite in comparison to Crimewatch UK.

i reckon the best source of new leads is often pissed off ex-girlfriends

Advertisement