Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One X or 4S

Options
  • 24-04-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

as above
    going phone shop tomorow to get one on the 3 bill pay deal

i want to be able to tether also

pros and cons of each please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The two do not compare. The One X is better in every possible way surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDPhotography

The two do not compare. The One X is better in every possible way surely.

but how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You won't be doing any tethering on the 4s anyway, it's forbidden by Three. I'm not going into it here because I got a warning in the Three forum the last time I helped someone. Needless to say, things are easier on Android. The One X beats the 4s in every other way as well

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You won't be doing any tethering on the 4s anyway, it's forbidden by Three. I'm not going into it here because I got a warning in the Three forum the last time I helped someone. Needless to say, things are easier on Android. The One X beats the 4s in every other way as well

havent seen a one X on display in any shops :(
    only seen them on reviews on youtube, the look kinda flimsy though? or are they a well built phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have one, it feels very solid and nice in the hand. The screen is second-to-none. It wipes the floor with everything available right now, from the iPhone to other Android phones to Windows Phone 7.

As for the specs, again the One X has the upper hand. Particularly in RAM where it has double that of the iPhone 4S.

• Advertisement

I have one, it feels very solid and nice in the hand. The screen is second-to-none. It wipes the floor with everything available right now, from the iPhone to other Android phones to Windows Phone 7.

As for the specs, again the One X has the upper hand. Particularly in RAM where it has double that of the iPhone 4S.

can cases be got for it? have searched but nothing came up
    whats the battery life? id class myself as a heavy user :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

This is a good site for cases and accessories

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/One-X-Cases.htm

As for One X v 4s, has to be the One X, more flexible, better Ram, quad core, and ohh it'll have flash ;)

can cases be got for it? have searched but nothing came up
    whats the battery life? id class myself as a heavy user :eek:
    I'm using this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-WAVE-S-LINE-GRIP-GEL-CASE-SILICONE-CASE-COVER-STYLUS-FOR-HTC-ONE-X?item=160782567124&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7933552869966651503

Battery life is pretty good. You'd easily get a day or more out of it with use. It can last multiple days on standby thanks to the fifth companion core though.

From the One X thread:
    2012-04-25_13-06-38.png

I'm using this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-WAVE-S-LINE-GRIP-GEL-CASE-SILICONE-CASE-COVER-STYLUS-FOR-HTC-ONE-X?item=160782567124&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7933552869966651503

Battery life is pretty good. You'd easily get a day or more out of it with use. It can last multiple days on standby thanks to the fifth companion core though.

From the One X thread:
    2012-04-25_13-06-38.png

cool :cool:
    cheers lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

check the oneX thread in the android forum, there's loads of info on battery life and available cases (iirc pamg has a link to an available gel case among others)

as for your concerns of build quality, HTC are possibly the best in the business imo. with regards to battery life, you should get a day, if not there are plenty of changes that can be made to improve it

the only, ONLY thing that the 4s has over the oneX is the size - i just cannot see myself ever having a phone that big

• Advertisement

And I can't see myself having a phone as small as the 4S :p

When put side to side, the 4S looks like a toy in comparison.

i dont know what to do haha
    i just think the one X will be too big?

i work outdoors with horses so fitting it in pockets without damage could be a prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

There is a big difference between the one X and an iPhone. I've read some comments on screen size and memory size.

The One X has a bigger screen but this means bigger phone. I prefer a smaller phone.

The One X has twice the memory of the iPhone, but only because Android doesn't control memory usage as well iOS. An iPhone will give you an identical or better experience even with a slower processor and less ram because it is better optimised. ICS still suffers from slowdowns on the fastest hardware, iOS is much smoother.

It really is a battle between iOS and Android iOS. I for one can see the appeal of "OMG it has a faster processor and more ramz!!111" but i also realise that the iPhone is more polished and optimised.

WP7 runs super smooth on my 1GHz HTC Trophy. Android does not run smoothly on this hardware.

Always be weary of people who say "OMG this is the best EVAR! iPhone is FA1L!" (or similar) because it is very biased and these people aren't giving good factual information or comparisons.

Lastly, my iPhone 3GS has (for better or worse) been updated to the latest version of iOS. Not many Android phones released that year are updated to any recent Android releases (without being hacked).

EDIT: Meteor do tethering. You should check them out.

TBi wrote: »
    There is a big difference between the one X and an iPhone. I've read some comments on screen size and memory size.

The One X has a bigger screen but this means bigger phone. I prefer a smaller phone.

The One X has twice the memory of the iPhone, but only because Android doesn't control memory usage as well iOS. An iPhone will give you an identical or better experience even with a slower processor and less ram because it is better optimised. ICS still suffers from slowdowns on the fastest hardware, iOS is much smoother.

It really is a battle between iOS and Android iOS. I for one can see the appeal of "OMG it has a faster processor and more ramz!!111" but i also realise that the iPhone is more polished and optimised.

WP7 runs super smooth on my 1GHz HTC Trophy. Android does not run smoothly on this hardware.

Always be weary of people who say "OMG this is the best EVAR! iPhone is FA1L!" (or similar) because it is very biased and these people aren't giving good factual information or comparisons.

Lastly, my iPhone 3GS has (for better or worse) been updated to the latest version of iOS. Not many Android phones released that year are updated to any recent Android releases (without being hacked).

EDIT: Meteor do tethering. You should check them out.

great post :)
    i like a smaller phone too but the iphone is a good size :)
    have used androids before and got bored of them? i dont modify the home screens to suit me, i always leave as is

as for the meteor tethering, i dont like there price of 45 odd for 200 texts,mins and only 5gb internet :(

It's not just bigger but better too. Higher resolution, truer color reproduction and slightly better viewing angles.
    Have you even used the One X or are you just guessing?
    Sense 4 / ICS is no less polished than iOS. In fact, it's even more "polished" than what Apple has to offer. As for optimisation, that is just you assuming things.
    And people who haven't actually used both of the phones in question but think they can say one is better than the other aren't biased? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why wouldn't you modify the home screen to suit yourself, that's an absolute daft reason to put the 4s on the same pegging as the OneX.

Have a read of this http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/1330463/htc_one_x_vs_iphone_5_revisited.html I don't agree with some of the reasons they gave a draw especially when it comes to memory but you'll get the idea.

Admit it you want an iPhone like 95% of people because it is an iPhone. I work in the phone business and it's become so lame when it comes to peoples choice of phone, the one x could give you blow jobs on demand and people would still pick an iphone over it for no other reason than it's an iphone, most of them haven't a bean what an iphone is. Tell them about android and they think you've 2 heads.

If you want the best phone on the market right now it's the One X.

Remember when the EVO launched. :rolleyes: This Vid is 100% bang on.

great post :)
    i like a smaller phone too but the iphone is a good size :)
    have used androids before and got bored of them? i dont modify the home screens to suit me, i always leave as is

as for the meteor tethering, i dont like there price of 45 odd for 200 texts,mins and only 5gb internet :(

5GB is loads unless you watch LOADS of online video. I never use more than 300MB a month since i use my WiFi at home.

I've used android before, i never got bored with it just massively frustrated. Random slowdowns that i couldn't explain, battery life would be fine one day and the next it would last 3 hours. (Plus the fact that the radio app would crash. Why would the radio crash?) It was fun to tinker around with and it's probably one of the reasons i went with a WP7 phone when i moved from my 3GS.

iOS might be boring but it's stable and consistent, WP7 is a fresh look on things and works really well on (compared to android phones) snail like processors.

I've used all three OSs and I prefer iOS and WP7 far above android. For me they aren't in the same league. That is however my personal preference, although a lot of people hate iOS because it's apple and hate WP7 because it's Windows. I don't like android because i found it buggy.

BTW check out satisfaction ratings for WP7, it has some of the highest satisfaction levels of any phone OS. Compare that to android...

iOS might be boring but it's stable and consistent, WP7 is a fresh look on things and works really well on (compared to android phones) snail like processors.

Have you used Ice Cream Sandwich?
    WP7 is a fresh look but but by no means better than ICS and IOS, and right now ICS is better than IOS. ICS is stable.

It's not just bigger but better too. Higher resolution, truer color reproduction and slightly better viewing angles.
    I prefer a smaller phone.
    Have you even used the One X or are you just guessing?
    From reading users opinions and reviews of ICS.
    Sense 4 / ICS is no less polished than iOS. In fact, it's even more "polished" than what Apple has to offer. As for optimisation, that is just you assuming things.

Apple has 3 devices to optimise for, all three are made in house thus it makes sense that it can optimise these easily.

Android has multiple devices with multiple hardware and CPU's. I may be wrong but it is a lot harder to optimise across all these different variations. Maybe google is spending their time optimising... or maybe they are throwing uber powerful CPU's at the problem. A phone which needs a quad core processor to run smooth? My WP7 has a single 1GHz core and is smooth, i haven't seen an android phone yet that runs smooth on a 1GHz processor.
    And people who haven't actually used both of the phones in question but think they can say one is better than the other aren't biased? :confused:

I was talking about my experience of android. I wasn't comparing phones.

Have you used Ice Cream Sandwich?
    WP7 is a fresh look but but by no means better than ICS and IOS, and right now ICS is better than IOS. ICS is stable.

If WP7 does what I want better than iOS or ICS then (in my humble opinion) it is better.

I have stated over and over again that this is my personal preference and gave arguments to justify how i feel.

I was just trying to offset the comments that ICS is definately better. It is a personal preference.

In your opinion ICS is better, but that doesn't make it better for everyone. It also doesn't automatically make iOS or WP7 bad.

Also that video was a bit insulting. I bought an iPhone because it was better than anything on the market at the time i bought it. If the ONE X becomes so popular that people buy it for no reason other than it's a one X will you say it's because android is good or will you edit the video to show the person asking for a "One X"?

• Advertisement

looks like i'll be going for the one x as from what iv been reading three are still havings problems with imessage and facetime
    need to find a cpw that has a white one now lol

looks like i'll be going for the one x as from what iv been reading three are still havings problems with imessage and facetime
    need to find a cpw that has a white one now lol

Well wear. I'd avoid CPW though.

Well wear. I'd avoid CPW though.

i dont usually like dealing with them but iv been credit scored and accepted by them only last week :rolleyes: so i think i need to buy from them?

because i rang 3 last friday and got declined because i got accepted in cpw

I'd call 3 again, explain the situation, ask if you can decline CPW and go with them.

(EDIT: and get an iPhone :D )

I'd call 3 again, explain the situation, ask if you can decline CPW and go with them.

(EDIT: and get an iPhone :D )

why :pac:

iv been put off by the issues with imessage

Go withe a store before Telesales but go with any other store before carphone. Seen as you have the deal done with carphone you may as well go with them now.
    Carphone have a different returns policy to 3 stores and Independent phone stores as they don't use official handsets sometimes there stuff from the UK brought over and unlocked.
    If you want fresh official stock go with a different shop 9 out of 10 times. That's not saying your one x isn't something from the UK it's probably proper Irish stock as it's new so it'll probably be fine. Just make sure your in agreement that if there is a fault in the first 30 days you can return it for a new one the same as if you bought it in a 3 shop or Independent. It's a HTC it shouldn't have a fault anyway.

why :pac:

iv been put off by the issues with imessage

That's just the start of it. Keep away from the iphone, it's only got a 12mt warranty. Every other phone has 2 years. Says a lot when apple won't even stand over it for 24mts.

That's just the start of it. Keep away from the iphone, it's only got a 12mt warranty. Every other phone has 2 years. Says a lot when apple won't even stand over it for 24mts.

following on from the HTC one thread, the battery wont even last a day? id be using viber and alot of internet and 3 wont release the update :confused:

and other companies dont come close to 3's deal :(

I can't get until 6'O clock in the evening with a 4 or 4s yet I can get 2 days out of an xperia play. It all depends on the user. There's a lot you can do with a droid and even iphone to seriously reduce your battery.

I said it to you at the start i'd be waiting until the 2nd of May before buying right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

i dont know what to do haha
    i just think the one X will be too big?

i work outdoors with horses so fitting it in pockets without damage could be a prob?
    To be honest if you work outdoors with horses...
    you probably should not have any phone in your pocket!! :-)
    but if you had to... has to be the one X

Advertisement