Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One X or 4S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDPhotography

fatalll wrote: »
    To be honest if you work outdoors with horses...
    you probably should not have any phone in your pocket!! :-)
    but if you had to... has to be the one X

haha i know but its needed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't see why working outdoors would be a problem providing your phone was in your pocket. Just face the screen to your body.

I can't get until 6'O clock in the evening with a 4 or 4s yet I can get 2 days out of an xperia play. It all depends on the user. There's a lot you can do with a droid and even iphone to seriously reduce your battery.

I said it to you at the start i'd be waiting until the 2nd of May before buying right now.

do the apps like viber and others like that, are the heavy on the battery? i just think the one x is too big for what i need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

That's just the start of it. Keep away from the iphone, it's only got a 12mt warranty. Every other phone has 2 years. Says a lot when apple won't even stand over it for 24mts.

That's FUD. You get a 2 year warranty (or was it a guarantee) with everything bought in the EU. No matter what apple says they can't argue with the law.
    why :pac:

iv been put off by the issues with imessage

I'm sure 3 will fix this issue, although personally i'd stay off 3. It's not even on the One X so if you are considering that why are you worried about iMessage? You might never use it? It works fine on meteor :)

Also remember that you are paying for either phone over your contract period. An iPhone is 45 euro per month on meteor for 24 months, while the sim only plan is 20 per month. 25 euro (the difference) * 24 months is 600 euro... which is the initial cost of the iPhone if you buy direct from apple. Same applies for the One X.

do the apps like viber and others like that, are the heavy on the battery? i just think the one x is too big for what i need
    Best thing about iPhone is only the app you are using will be really running (this is a pro or con depending on user) so viber in the background won't use nearly as much battery as viber in the background on an android. Android has true multitasking, which means apps run fully in the background. iOS has a special multitasking setup where only the bare essentials (low power usage) run in the back ground which leads to better battery life.

That's an issue i found with android. At the start you get good battery life, after a few weeks of installing apps there are a few running in the background using all your battery. You have to go in and fiddle around with settings to save battery life. On iPhone it was consistent all the time, no need to worry about what may or may not be running.

One big one for me was GPS. On iPhone and WP7 i leave GPS on all the time, i never worry about it. Same with bluetooth and WiFi. My friends who have android phones (not ICS i grant you) are constantly switching these features on and off to save battery life. I prefer living my life than worrying if i left GPS on or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TBi wrote: »
    That's FUD. You get a 2 year warranty (or was it a guarantee) with everything bought in the EU. No matter what apple says they can't argue with the law.

Once you activate the iPhone your agreeing to apples 12mt warranty. It's a **** warranty and takes a court case to get your rights.

• Advertisement

Once you activate the iPhone your agreeing to apples 12mt warranty. It's a **** warranty and takes a court case to get your rights.

Citation please? They can't make you agree to something that affects your statutory rights.

Here is what apple says, with kind thanks to Sad Professor.

worried about it on 3 as it was the iphone i originally wanted as never had an iphone before
    and seems to be a good size with good screen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

worried about it on 3 as it was the iphone i originally wanted as never had an iphone before

If it's an iPhone that you want, then get an iPhone. You've heard the pro's and con's of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

If your looking for a phone the size of iphone 4s (HTC desire s, Htc one v, Lumia 800, are the ones coming to mind) they are becoming a rare species, all phones are getting bigger, even apple who have stuck to 3.5 inch since day one look set to move to 4.6 (one x is 4.7 but not much bigger in case size than a 4.3 sammy 2) There is always the option of going for a HTC one s, which is a little smaller than the x. and probably better battery life too.

imo unless you really really want a smaller screen id just make the jump to bigger now as your prob going to have to in the future anyway.

also only today i was lookin at drop tests on a good few phones, (dropping them to see how the screen fares) And as far as i could see the Iphone doesn't come out the best.

If your looking for a phone the size of iphone 4s (HTC desire s, Htc one v, Lumia 800, are the ones coming to mind) they are becoming a rare species, all phones are getting bigger, even apple who have stuck to 3.5 inch since day one look set to move to 4.6 (one x is 4.7 but not much bigger in case size than a 4.3 sammy 2) There is always the option of going for a HTC one s, which is a little smaller than the x. and probably better battery life too.

imo unless you really really want a smaller screen id just make the jump to bigger now as your prob going to have to in the future anyway.

also only today i was lookin at drop tests on a good few phones, (dropping them to see how the screen fares) And as far as i could see the Iphone doesn't come out the best.

true, maybe the one x is the way to go....if i can finda white one

• Advertisement

If your looking for a phone the size of iphone 4s (HTC desire s, Htc one v, Lumia 800, are the ones coming to mind) they are becoming a rare species, all phones are getting bigger, even apple who have stuck to 3.5 inch since day one look set to move to 4.6 (one x is 4.7 but not much bigger in case size than a 4.3 sammy 2)

Rare species? There is a demand for these phones plus there is no evidence (only hearsay and rumors) that apple will be releasing a phone with a bigger screen. No one will know until it's released.

I personally hate this trend for bigger phones. If i want a bigger screen i'll use a tablet or laptop. I want something that fits easily into my pocket and doesn't take up too much space. Also i find it hard to reach the upper left corner of a 4"+ screen with my thumb without repositioning my hand. Why would i buy a phone that's uncomfortable to use?

(One could also make a point about 'compensating' but that would be rude :) )

EDIT: Some nice reading: HTC One X bugs and HTC One X Screen flicker.

Rare species? There is a demand for these phones plus there is no evidence (only hearsay and rumors) that apple will be releasing a phone with a bigger screen. No one will know until it's released.

I personally hate this trend for bigger phones. If i want a bigger screen i'll use a tablet or laptop. I want something that fits easily into my pocket and doesn't take up too much space. Also i find it hard to reach the upper left corner of a 4"+ screen with my thumb without repositioning my hand. Why would i buy a phone that's uncomfortable to use?

(One could also make a point about 'compensating' but that would be rude :) )

EDIT: Some nice reading: HTC One X bugs and HTC One X Screen flicker.

Never said i liked it either, Your obvious bias for iphones aside though, Thats the way trends are going phones are getting bigger and the larger formats are soaking up the sales. you cant argue their becoming a rare thing the smaller screens, look at all the current and future announced releases of smart phones, id say atleast 70% are above 4" and the ones below are lower specs going forward, Htc one v, Xperia p (even though i think that just on the 4" mark)

Im pretty neutral when i comes to platforms people can read and decide for themselves, there's as many threads about issues with Iphones, Sammys, Htcs, etc etc. so there's no point in me posting links to issues with Iphones inparticular.

It is only rumours and no direct line from apple that their next phone will be bigger (there never is), but your hangin onto a thin thread if you are hopin for apple's next flagship phone to be 3.5" thats for sure.

Never said i liked it either, Your obvious bias for iphones aside though,
    An iPhone lover with a HTC Trophy and no iPhone. Does that mean all WP7 owners have an iPhone bias?

It is only rumours and no direct line from apple that their next phone will be bigger (there never is), but your hangin onto a thin thread if you are hopin for apple's next flagship phone to be 3.5" thats for sure.
    Not hanging onto any thread, but if it's bigger than 4" then i won't buy one.

With Steve gone it could be...

An iPhone lover with a HTC Trophy and no iPhone. Does that mean all WP7 owners have an iPhone bias?
    Fair enough, i just read your "buy an iphone" and "htc problems" thread as bias i see you compared your personal preference earlier on.

Im using Android at the moment, have been for about 8 months now on a htc desire s, Never had one crash, doesn't slow down or lag that i notice and i like the ability to customise it so much. I had a 3gs for a while, and had several crashes on iOS, (not enough to turn me off it) just enough to make me feel android was more stable. I never have tried WP7 heard good reports, i reckon it would need more of an app base in order for me to buy one ( i realise thats a catch 22) But what it comes down to is personal experience.
    Whether that be handset or os based its mostly personal.

Not hanging onto any thread, but if it's bigger than 4" then i won't buy one.

With Steve gone it could be...

That too, All bets are off without jobsies "thats sh!t" QC inspection.

If they brought out a phone as powerful as the One S but the size of a One V (or a desire) i might actually buy one to try out ICS. ICS is tempting, my main issue is the phones are WAY too big for me. Plus i love WP7 and iOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If they brought out a phone as powerful as the One S but the size of a One V (or a desire) i might actually buy one to try out ICS. ICS is tempting, my main issue is the phones are WAY too big for me. Plus i love WP7 and iOS :)

it really is this simple, pack all that tech into something resembling my desire S and I'd be sold.

In case you haven't noticed or weren't aware.

The HTC One X and Galaxy SII are two different phones. Samsung's Galaxy phones have always been plagued by weird software problems like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Never said i liked it either, Your obvious bias for iphones aside though, Thats the way trends are going phones are getting bigger and the larger formats are soaking up the sales. you cant argue their becoming a rare thing the smaller screens, look at all the current and future announced releases of smart phones, id say atleast 70% are above 4" and the ones below are lower specs going forward, Htc one v, Xperia p (even though i think that just on the 4" mark)

Apple has 56% of the American market as of this last quarter. This is probably the brand, rather than the size of the phone. However, it does seem that Android phones have to do something to distinguish themselves against the competitors with the same OS, and big trick at the moment is bigger screen sizes. If Apple do do that I think that the 4, or 4S could remain their cash cow, after the launch frenzy dies down.

In case you haven't noticed or weren't aware.

The HTC One X and Galaxy SII are two different phones. Samsung's Galaxy phones have always been plagued by weird software problems like that.

But i thought ICS was amazeballs?

Are you saying now that only certain versions of ICS are good? Therefore it's wrong to say that all ICS based phones are stable?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You're being a bit pathetic at this stage, to be honest. Obviously there are going to be individual errors with any operating system or phones. There is an old IT adage, "All hardware is flawed, all software is flawed". I'm sure if any of us were to search Boards for the phrase "iPhone crashed", it would bring up many posts too.

But i thought ICS was amazeballs?

Are you saying now that only certain versions of ICS are good? Therefore it's wrong to say that all ICS based phones are stable?

*cough*
    *cough2*
    Now scurry along back to Apple Media Devices ;)

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    You're being a bit pathetic at this stage, to be honest.
    I try SO hard. Thanks for noticing!
    *cough*
    *cough2*

I have WP7 not iPhone.

HTC sensation was released in 2011, 3GS was released in 2009 so a bad comparison.

I can't comment on 4 or 4S, although if it's fixed as easily as turning off iCloud then...

I have WP7 not iPhone.

HTC sensation was released in 2011, 3GS was released in 2009 so a bad comparison.
    iOS4 on the 3GS was also slow for the first few weeks. It's called teething problems. The Sensation wasn't designed for ICS so obviously things aren't going to work perfectly from day one.
    I can't comment on 4 or 4S, although if it's fixed as easily as turning off iCloud then...
    Flawed software is flawed software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I try SO hard. Thanks for noticing!

It's hard not to.

I have WP7 not iPhone.

It seems you are basing your adoration of IOS and dislike of Android on hearsay and internet forum posts. Why don't you actually try these phones and form an opinion based on usage?

iOS4 on the 3GS was also slow for the first few weeks. It's called teething problems. The Sensation wasn't designed for ICS so obviously things aren't going to work perfectly from day one.

Flawed software is flawed software.

Exactly and so ICS isn't all it's cracked up to be. It just ticks me off when people say ICS is the best thing since sliced bread when in truth it's only really good running on newer hardware that's designed for it.
    It's hard not to.
    Well no one else seems to notice, so thanks again.

It seems you are basing your adoration of IOS and dislike of Android on hearsay and internet forum posts. Why don't you actually try these phones and form an opinion based on usage?

An iPhone lover who owns a WP7 phone? I tried an android phone, i had nothing but problems with it, exactly why should i spend my hard earned cash on another one?

I've tried iOS and it was good, i've tried WP7 and it was good, i've tried Android and (for me) it sucked. Actually WP7 was a breath of fresh air after the trouble i had with android.

So your rational advice is "Hey ignore those two products that you used and are happy with, instead spend your money on this other product with which you've had nothing but bad experiences with!"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

On the Ios5 thing I know plenty of people who lost all their contacts/numbers after the upgrade, Ios is hardly problem free either, at least with Android everything syncs to your Gmail account, why Itunes doesn't (or didn't back then) backup contacts as well as the rest of the stuff is a bit ridiculous imo

Nick

Exactly and so ICS isn't all it's cracked up to be. It just ticks me off when people say ICS is the best thing since sliced bread when in truth it's only really good running on newer hardware that's designed for it.
    Read the title of this thread: "One X". A phone designed to run on ICS.

Not only that but after the initial issues with teething problems ICS runs like a dream. I have it running on a tablet that wasn't even designed to run Android and it runs magnificently.
    An iPhone lover who owns a WP7 phone? I tried an android phone, i had nothing but problems with it, exactly why should i spend my hard earned cash on another one?
    What phone did you try? Not all Android phones were created equally. Some are better than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

*cough*
    *cough2*

Thats ludicrous - the fact that the 3GS can run iOS 5 means it a spectacular optimised OS. The number of that generation Android machines running the latest OS is 0%.

Advertisement