Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One X or 4S

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

TBi wrote: »
    An iPhone lover who owns a WP7 phone? I tried an android phone, i had nothing but problems with it, exactly why should i spend my hard earned cash on another one?

I've tried iOS and it was good, i've tried WP7 and it was good, i've tried Android and (for me) it sucked. Actually WP7 was a breath of fresh air after the trouble i had with android.

So your rational advice is "Hey ignore those two products that you used and are happy with, instead spend your money on this other product with which you've had nothing but bad experiences with!"?

I'm just trying to understand your dislike of Android, lad. Maybe you should chill out a little, I'm not insulting your first born.

I was a happy iPhone user until I tried Android and it blew IOS out of the water so just because you had a bad experience with it doesn't mean it's crap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thats ludicrous - the fact that the 3GS can run iOS 5 means it a spectacular optimised OS. The number of that generation Android machines running the latest OS is 0%.

I had Gingerbread running on this (Designed for 2.1 Eclair) unofficially and it was perfect. It wasn't anything amazing but then again for a 50 quid phone what could you expect. It ran quickly and worked as quickly as 2.1 did on it. Android is optomised however manufacturers do seem to neglect older devices with the "not powerful enough" excuse, which is not exactly true, as the unofficial ports prove otherwise!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

yoyo wrote: »
    On the Ios5 thing I know plenty of people who lost all their contacts/numbers after the upgrade, Ios is hardly problem free either, at least with Android everything syncs to your Gmail account, why Itunes doesn't (or didn't back then) backup contacts as well as the rest of the stuff is a bit ridiculous imo

Nick

This never happened to me, the only reason iTunes wouldn't back up your contacts is if you told it not to when you were setting up. I see a lot of people doing this and lose their contacts that way. That's user error, not Apple. (Unless you are going to say apple is bad for offering users this choice).
    Read the title of this thread: "One X". A phone designed to run on ICS.

Not only that but after the initial issues with teething problems ICS runs like a dream. I have it running on a tablet that wasn't even designed to run Android and it runs magnificently.

What phone did you try? Not all Android phones were created equally. Some are better than others.

Motorola defy.

And i agree with you, you make good valid arguments for why someone should try a ICS based phone or tablet. I was mainly directing my posts at people who said "iPhones are the suxors, ICS rulez".

All three OS's are good, all have strengths and weaknesses and we should discuss those. Not blindly post unsubstantiated opinions.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    You're being a bit pathetic at this stage, to be honest.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'm just trying to understand your dislike of Android, lad. Maybe you should chill out a little, I'm not insulting your first born.

You just insult me? Well thanks for clearing that up, I don't even have a first born but i'm sure they have done nothing wrong.

This never happened to me, the only reason iTunes wouldn't back up your contacts is if you told it not to when you were setting up. I see a lot of people doing this and lose their contacts that way. That's user error, not Apple. (Unless you are going to say apple is bad for offering users this choice).
    Well they shouldn't have the issue of contacts being wiped to begin with :pac: but yes part of it could be user error (wouldn't suprise me as iTunes can be fairly confusing to even advanced users), the fact that before an update the device wasn't fully backed up regardless of user's sync settings is what I'm getting at in case of failure.
    The temporary backup could easily be deleted upon successful sync, the contacts, call log, user settings etc. would hardly add a huge amount of time to the update procedure.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Well they shouldn't have the issue of contacts being wiped to begin with :pac: but yes part of it could be user error (wouldn't suprise me as iTunes can be fairly confusing to even advanced users), the fact that before an update the device wasn't fully backed up regardless of user's sync settings is what I'm getting at in case of failure.
    The temporary backup could easily be deleted upon successful sync, the contacts, call log, user settings etc. would hardly add a huge amount of time to the update procedure.

Nick

This is a strange one, iTunes always did a full back up of my phone. Whenever i flashed a new firmware it would put everything back, contacts, emails, SMSs, apps, save games.

I never had this issue, maybe there was a bug in iOS5 that wiped out the contacts. I'd have to research it but my friend recently upgraded to iOS 5 and she still has all her contacts, and they aren't stored online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You just insult me? Well thanks for clearing that up, I don't even have a first born but i'm sure they have done nothing wrong.

Yeah, this is what I expected from you, you're all about twisting what others say to suit your own agenda. I'm done with you.

This is a strange one, iTunes always did a full back up of my phone. Whenever i flashed a new firmware it would put everything back, contacts, emails, SMSs, apps, save games.

I never had this issue, maybe there was a bug in iOS5 that wiped out the contacts. I'd have to research it but my friend recently upgraded to iOS 5 and she still has all her contacts, and they aren't stored online.

I think it was a serious bug when Ios first launched that did wipe the contacts, although it still seems to be happening to some see here. It could have also been a failed update forcing the user to do a factory restore (I'm not sure), all I know is 3 people I know lost numbers, and iTunes didn't back them up, either into windows contacts, Outlook or as part of the backup routine. Oddly all apps (not so needed items as can be re downloaded) were backed up. Think the photos were ok as well

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

x!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

x!

post_thanks.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement