Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ombudsman says one Garda should face diciplinary action over Corrib comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

**Googling rape jokes for coffee time tomorrow, I'm sure my collegues will be in stitches:D

Knock Know,
    Who's there
    No, I'm not really sick enough to joke about an extremely serious crime, which has a devastating effect, on not only women but their families

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sasa1424 wrote: »
    I agree with you that the accusations of rape made by the female protesters (pre-infamous remarks) were irresponsible and detrimental to the case I’m making for appropriate discourse around the issue of the rape.

But my main argument was that the remarks made by the sergeant etc. are now in the public domain and as such have taken on a life of their own BEYOND the actual context in which they occurred. And given this level of publicity, the general consensus that such comments are an acceptable brand of humour makes me feel threatened and more uneasy as a woman in my own country.

How can the Irish public deem it acceptable for a group of (uniformed) men to talk flippantly about using their physical strength to brutally intimidate and control women? Doesn't this now make it slightly more acceptable for more people to talk and think in this way?

By not acknowledging the damaging legacy of these remarks, I feel the system and that damned report (not to mention public opinion) has failed Irish women.

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be flippant here, but that just sounds far too damn thin-skinned to be a practical position. If you feel threatened because a couple of lads laughed off the accusation of being rapists with snide comments, you'd probably not want to set foot outside again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

I think it would be much more useful to look at the lack of respect the woman in this instance showed for her fellow women by initiating the whole sequence of events with her rape cries.

I agree with you that the accusations of rape made by the female protesters (pre-infamous remarks) were irresponsible and detrimental to the case I’m making for appropriate discourse around the issue of the rape.

But my main argument was that the remarks made by the sergeant etc. are now in the public domain and as such have taken on a life of their own BEYOND the actual context in which they occurred. And given this level of publicity, the general consensus that such comments are an acceptable brand of humour makes me feel threatened and more uneasy as a woman in my own country.

How can the Irish public deem it acceptable for a group of (uniformed) men to talk flippantly about using their physical strength to brutally intimidate and control women? Doesn't this now make it slightly more acceptable for more people to talk and think in this way?

By not acknowledging the damaging legacy of these remarks, I feel the system and that damned report (not to mention public opinion) has failed Irish women.

Im sorry so your point is that it doesn't matter what happened, what was said or why it was said? These men should be punished to make a public example? To ensure that people think in the "correct" manner?

Should we also start hanging public comedians? After all they make such jokes and worse while women are in the audience not to mention those at home watching on tv or who bought their dvd.

Should there be a new crime of making light of rape? Will it apply to private comments in peoples homes? Should the gardai be allowed to tap phone calls or plant bugs to gather evidence?

It's insane. You cannot police peoples minds.

Im sorry so your point is that it doesn't matter what happened, what was said or why it was said? These men should be punished to make a public example? To ensure that people think in the "correct" manner?

Should we also start hanging public comedians? After all they make such jokes and worse while women are in the audience not to mention those at home watching on tv or who bought their dvd.

Should there be a new crime of making light of rape? Will it apply to private comments in peoples homes? Should the gardai be allowed to tap phone calls or plant bugs to gather evidence?

It's insane. You cannot police peoples minds.

Not about controlling thoughts

If you are wearing a uniform, have respect for what it represents

micropig wrote: »

Not about controlling thoughts

If you are wearing a uniform, have respect for what it represents

A strange statement given your other posts. So its not about what these men might joke about in private its about how they do there job?

Well I have no problem with that in general. It would seem to imply though in this situation that the problem is not what you do. It's getting caught making a private comment. Seems like a poor philosophy and a little bit confused. Now if they had threatened to rape her I'd understand where your coming from but it was her who was making light of rape and they never said a word to her.

Have I taken you up wrong? Or is it only guards minds that should be policed? The ombudsmans budget will need a drastic increase if that's the case.

A strange statement given your other posts. So its not about what these men might joke about in private its about how they do there job?

Well I have no problem with that in general. It would seem to imply though in this situation that the problem is not what you do. It's getting caught making a private comment. Seems like a poor philosophy and a little bit confused. Now if they had threatened to rape her I'd understand where your coming from but it was her who was making light of rape and they never said a word to her.

Have I taken you up wrong? Or is it only guards minds that should be policed? The ombudsmans budget will need a drastic increase if that's the case.

Garda are in a position of power it's the nature of their job
    Garda deal with rape victims who are vulnerable

They are trained in dealing with anti social behaviour.

They should have more cop on. When they're going in to situation like this they are going to get every type of abuse and slur thrown at them. They need to learn to ignore it and act professional, Playground tactics should be beneath them. If they are doing nothing wrong, they have nothing to worry about, no matter what a protester shouts at them, sticks and stones and all that.

when wearing a uniform respect what it represents, It show's disdain for the people they are suppose to be protecting.

Private or not, when in work there is no way I'd joke about rape,

There is a 100 and one things he about have said about her, he could have said I would have sex with her, the state or whatever but to joke about rape??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You think no one makes jokes at work? We all make light of things and laugh at stuff in private. She mentioned rape and they made a bad joke about it but it was a joke.

hondasam wrote: »
    You think no one makes jokes at work? We all make light of things and laugh at stuff in private. She mentioned rape and they made a bad joke about it but it was a joke.

I'm not disputing it was a joke, or that people joke at work maybe I have just have a different sense of humour...but Garda should be above this (trained to be, if the recruitment does not consider what common sense a person has)

As a Garda he had certain responsibilities, more so than a non-Garda, I would not expect a fireman to laugh at a victim, paramedic the same, teachers joking about child abuse..makes me question the mentality behind it.

* know she wasn't a victim of rape and accused him etc, but professionalism

Garda are in a position of power it's the nature of their job
    Garda deal with rape victims who are vulnerable

They are trained in dealing with anti social behaviour.

They should have more cop on. When they're going in to situation like this they are going to get every type of abuse and slur thrown at them. They need to learn to ignore it and act professional, Playground tactics should be beneath them. If they are doing nothing wrong, they have nothing to worry about, no matter what a protester shouts at them, sticks and stones and all that.

when wearing a uniform respect what it represents, It show's disdain for the people they are suppose to be protecting.

There is a 100 and one things he about have said about her, he could have said I would have sex with her, the state or whatever but to joke about rape??

Nope sorry don't agree with you at all.

They deal with terrible cases. The sergeant who made the comments was publicly commended by a victim of rape who's case he investigated and successfully prosecuted.

They dealt with this protester in a calm and professional manner by all accounts. He made a comment in private which had it been said publicly would rightfully been deemed inappropriate but it wasn't.

Gardai may expect to be treated poorly by some people but they shouldn't have to accept it. Just like any other job. They are expected to act professionally but that does not mean they must be like machines.

I don't get your last point as it would seem to suggest that if he'd just said he wanted to have sex would her that would be fine. If he'd said it to her it would have been just as bad. That he said it in private means it makes no difference.

If you are incapable of understanding my point of view then nothing is served by further discussion as I am unable to comprehend yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm not disputing it was a joke, or that people joke at work maybe I have just have a different sense of humour...but Garda should be above this (trained to be, if the recruitment does not consider what common sense a person has)

You seem to think gardai are super human, they joke about stuff between themselves same as the rest of us. Do you think once the uniform goes on they are all serious.
    What should they be above exactly?

They deal with terrible cases. The sergeant who made the comments was publicly commended by a victim of rape who's case he investigated and successfully prosecuted.

Very good, so he has had direct contact with rape victims and know the fallout
    They dealt with this protester in a calm and professional manner by all accounts. He made a comment in private which had it been said publicly would rightfully been deemed inappropriate but it wasn't.

Still not appropriate. Student shouts something similar at teacher..teacher jokes in staff room, would this be appropriate?

Gardai may expect to be treated poorly by some people but they shouldn't have to accept it. Just like any other job. They are expected to act professionally but that does not mean they must be like machines.

They are going in to a hostile situation, yes, they probably should expect to get their feeling hurt
    I don't get your last point as it would seem to suggest that if he'd just said he wanted to have sex would her that would be fine. If he'd said it to her it would have been just as bad. That he said it in private means it makes no difference.

Sorry, that should read, I wouldn't have sex/go near her whatever
    If you are incapable of understanding my point of view then nothing is served by further discussion as I am unable to comprehend yours.

I understand your point of view. Do you understand it is not appropriate, joke or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Ah, the great "rape tape".

see in my day we hade the great grape ape.. in morez innocent timeth

Very good, so he has had direct contact with rape victims and know the fallout
    He knows how terrible something like rape is unlike a women who thought it'd be a smart way to make a Guard feel uncomfortable.
    Still not appropriate. Student shouts something similar at teacher..teacher jokes in staff room, would this be appropriate?

If one of the techers present found it offensive then yes it would be inappropriate. Just like the Guards comments would be inappropriate should one of his passengers been upset by it. As for the student in your scenario who cries rape to upset a teacher, not only would they not be effected by a private comment but even if they were to find out then like the women in this case, they would get no sympathy from me.
    They are going in to a hostile situation, yes, they probably should expect to get their feeling hurt

Sorry, that should read, I wouldn't have sex/go near her whatever

Fair enough though still don't see how that would be appropriate to say to someone.

I understand your point of view. Do you understand it is not appropriate, joke or not?

A jokes appropriateness is dependent on its audience. People make racist jokes, fat people jokes etc all the time. These are not always appropriate but the reality is a great deal of humour is based on the darker aspects of human nature.

Why? Because people draw comfort from the most shocking aspects of human nature by trying to minimise its terror and disgust that it invokes in them when they must face it.

Firemen joke about fires. Doctors, nurses and paramedics about the sick. Pathologists about the dead. The list goes on and on. It doesn't mean they don't care about the people they deal with. It just means their only human beings. Ones that deal with the harder aspects that life has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I think it would be much more useful to look at the lack of respect the woman in this instance showed for her fellow women by initiating the whole sequence of events with her rape cries.

Now that a private conversation has gone public, you want a witch hunt.

Again, what if you made an inappropriate, private comment at your desk, like we all do from time to time, and you found out your employer was recording you. How would you feel? Do you think your rights to privacy should be ignored just because your comment is "out there"?

This issue had nothing to do with rape, respect for women or anything else. If we can no longer speak privately among our friends or work colleagues, then we have a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

He wouldn't last too long on boards with jokes like that.

I personally hope he's made an example of and that he gets banned for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

..Because men don't get sexually assaulted? Or raped?

The above is a load of nonsense to be fair. Within weeks of the 'rape tape' incident occurring a young woman attending a music gig for the shell to sea project was actually raped (allegedly by another of the anti-Shell protestors who subsequently did a runner). Guess what, she reported it the the gardaí.

Damaging legacy my arse. Stupid jokes, lesson learned. They also joked about being her friend on facebook. I'm afraid to go on to the site. I've been badly let down that someone might issue me with a Friend request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

darlett wrote: »
    He wouldn't last too long on boards with jokes like that.

I've seen much worse on Boards and there was no ban!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

They should have been fired. It's shocking to think that such idiots can even get a job, let alone keep one after threatening to rape a woman in their custody (or keeping silent while another threatens to rape a woman, obnoxious joke or not). We have the right to expect professional conduct from the guards at all times. Intelligent people do not joke about rape, perhaps they should have been sacked just for being too stupid to have a job?

More corruption...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

smeedyova wrote: »
    They should have been fired. It's shocking to think that such idiots can even get a job, let alone keep one after threatening to rape a woman in their custody (or keeping silent while another threatens to rape a woman, obnoxious joke or not). We have the right to expect professional conduct from the guards at all times. Intelligent people do not joke about rape, perhaps they should have been sacked just for being too stupid to have a job?

More corruption...

Learn the meaning of corruption

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How are people still talking about this!!!

It was a private conversation between colleagues. The lady was not in their car/van and the tape was edited.

God if people are shocked by this they dont have very much life experience and should lock themselves in their houses and base their whole life around listening to the Joe Duffy show.

All professional people are human and when surrounded by their peers and in private they are free to talk as they wish, as long as their peers are not offended by their actions. They are the only people who should be able to make a complaint. And none of them have.

No crime was committed, and the Garda concerned will be dealt with by his commanding officer in private.

The only reason for this is it was unfortunate the recording camera was not turned off sitting on the back seat of the patrol car.

• Advertisement

More corruption...

*banging head off desk*

There. Was. No. Threat. It. Was. A. Joke.

mconigol wrote: »

That they got away with threatening to rape a woman is indeed corrupt.

I understand that the senior guard who was saying he would rape the woman has since retired out of reach of any punishment. Handy that.

The offender's own words indicate that he planned to rape the woman.

What concrete evidence is there that it was a joke?

mconigol wrote: »

I understand that the senior guard who was saying he would rape the woman has since retired out of reach of any punishment. Handy that.

Anybody who thinks that this is "normal" conversation between colleagues must have some pretty unintelligent coworkers. This kind of conversation would not be tolerated in my workplace and I have never heard such vulgar and debased conversation in the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There was no intent to rape. That much is incredibly clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Anybody with an iota of common sense would see the evidence.

If you cant, maybe try ringing Joe Duffy for support.

humanji wrote: »
    There was no intent to rape. That much is incredibly clear.

Clear in what concrete way? It is not clear to me. I hear only a man saying that he will rape a woman. That is clear.

Could you please point to the bit where he says "I don't intend to rape the woman I just find it funny to pretend I might."

Turner wrote: »
    Anybody with an iota of common sense would see the evidence.

Hmm. Yet you do not point to the evidence. You just say that it is there. Funny that.

Come on then, show me the evidence!

Clear in what concrete way? It is not clear to me. I hear only a man saying that he will rape a woman. That is clear.

Could you please point to the bit where he says "I don't intend to rape the woman I just find it funny to pretend I might."
    Can you point out the bit where he says "I'm 100% going to rape that woman, I am not joking. I am deadly serious, despite the fact that we are all laughing about it."

And seeing as you view rape so seriously, I assume you also want the woman charged for false accusations of rape, right?

I take it from your weak reply that you cannot support your claim that it was a joke with concrete evidence.

From the transcript:

The offender clearly states twice "I'll rape you" and then "I'll definitely rape you". Evidence enough for you? I think his intentions are pretty clear.

Sgt. A “Give me your name and address or I’ll rape you”.
    Garda C “Hold it there, give me your name and address, there, I’ll Facebook you”.
    Laughter
    Sgt. A “Or I’ll definitely rape you”.
    Garda C “Will you be me friend on Facebook?”

You'd want to be profoundly autistic not to read humour into the tone of that conversation.

• Advertisement

I take it from your weak reply that you cannot support your claim that it was a joke with concrete evidence.

From the transcript:

The offender clearly states twice "I'll rape you" and then "I'll definitely rape you". Evidence enough for you? I think his intentions are pretty clear.

Garda C “Hold it there, give me your name and address, there, I’ll Facebook you”.
    Laughter

I highlighted the important bit that you seem to be ignoring. And are you worried of the threat that they're giong to try and befriend them on facebook, since they're so serious about all this?

And again, should the woman face charges for false rape accusations, accusations which led to the gardai in question making fun of her and making the joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I listened to an interview with the representative, I think he was the girls tutor/professor, regarding the way that the Ombudsman handled the case. Apparently they were threatened with prosecution regarding the deleting of part of the tape & I have to say that his defence was very robust & very convincing.

The Guard should be dismissed without question because the Guards have to be beyond reproach. If that is too much to ask then recruit Guards that will act professionally. The Gardai need to grow up & decide whether they want to be a proper modern police force or continue being a caricature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

From the transcript:

Laughter

Probably get a ban for this but you sir are a complete idiot if you believe what you are writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ridiculous waste of state money and Garda time from this woman.

Gardai are human. Like every other worker on the planet, they privately take the piss out of the more comical characters that they've been dealing with that day. Shock, horror.

seamus wrote: »
    they privately take the piss out of the more comical characters that they've been dealing with that day. Shock, horror.

But it wasn't private. It was said within earshot of the woman. If that transcript is correct then I would argue that it was a clear threat & that is a crime.

Discodog wrote: »
    I listened to an interview with the representative, I think he was the girls tutor/professor, regarding the way that the Ombudsman handled the case. Apparently they were threatened with prosecution regarding the deleting of part of the tape & I have to say that his defence was very robust & very convincing.

The Guard should be dismissed without question because the Guards have to be beyond reproach. If that is too much to ask then recruit Guards that will act professionally. The Gardai need to grow up & decide whether they want to be a proper modern police force or continue being a caricature.

No, they don't. It's why there's a GOC. No human institution will ever be beyond reproach and the day we stop accepting that and remove the mechanisms of our institutions which allow them to function alongside the inevitability of human error, we're fooked.

But it wasn't private. It was said within earshot of the woman. If that transcript is correct then I would argue that it was a clear threat & that is a crime.

What are you talking about? It was in a car and the girl was not in the car :mad:

I always laugh at the 9/11 conspiracy nuts but you S2S people are absolutely bizarre.

It wasn't. It was privately out of earshot of any members of the public. The woman's video camera had been confiscated and was sitting in the car running at the time. That's how the recording exists.

It was only when the camera was returned to her that she noticed it had been running and reviewed the contents of it.

A response of laughter from the colleagues is an indication of their lack of intelligence and not an indication that Sgt A did not actually intend to rape the woman.

I am still waiting for somebody to point to concrete evidence that clearly indicates that the guard did not intend to rape the woman. Calling me autistic or an idiot is, by the way, not a reasoned or legitimate defense for the guard in question. It is silly and a clear sign that you, unlike me, cannot support your argument with irrefutable evidence.

As for false accusations on the part of the woman: I am not aware that the accusations are false and I am concerned only with the comments that I heard on the tape.

• Advertisement

Was it? The only time it came up for her was when the camera was returned. Also, tone is important. If I tell you sarcastically I'm going to strangle you with a sock, there's certainly no clear threat, because anyone who heard it and who's not braindead will hear the sarcastic tone. The material hasn't changed, but its presentation has. If I'm visibly angry and taking off my shoe at the time, the presentation is rather different.

I am concerned only with the comments that I heard on the tape.

... and not their context, tone or presentation. Magnificent.

Was the girl right in shouting that at the Garda - no

Was the Garda right making a joke - no

One can't be justified and not the other. Maybe the protester was having a joke with her colleagues about rape and the Garda just overheard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

These bloody cretins have caused nothing but trouble in Mayo. Wasting garda time and resources on some hippy crusade, get a life you morons!!, Have no sympathy for that girl at all, Deal with it love and stop being a menace to society.

As for false accusations on the part of the woman: I am not aware that the accusations are false and I am concerned only with the comments that I heard on the tape.

That's some act by the Gardai. Whilst video cameras, protesters and female gardai are present, two male gardai whilst gently escorting the protesters off the tractor broke all laws of physics to rape this woman whilst the video, protesters, actual protesters themselves and female gardai did not see it.

Amazing stuff!

Have you taken your pills today?

A response of laughter from the colleagues is an indication of their lack of intelligence and not an indication that Sgt A did not actually intend to rape the woman.
    An imaginary 3rd party conversation with someone who is not present, played out as if 'twere a skit in front of colleagues, is not any kind of evidence of intent.

I think you'll find the onus is on you to prove intent, not on anyone else to disprove it.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about? It was in a car and the girl was not in the car :mad:

I always laugh at the 9/11 conspiracy nuts but you S2S people are absolutely bizarre.

I actually support the Shell project :D

If it the comment was made out of earshot then it wasn't a threat but it was incredibly stupid - mind you so was not seeing & checking the camcorder. They should be disciplined for that !

I have dealt with the Police in the UK & the Gardai here. The Guards are like the UK Police were 30 years ago - it's like going back in time. By the way why are the Guards usually two to a car when the UK are often single manned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They were obviously just having a laugh but they do come across as being as thick as shit. Not a great example of the force as a whole imo.

How fcuking absent minded were they to not even make sure the camera wasn't recording at the time. Surely they should have been checking it for potential evidence anyway? Dopes

And to those saying that it shouldn't be a disciplinary matter.. if you were overheard saying that stuff about a client/customer/whatever would you not be reprimanded for it? It may have been said in private, but their own ineptitude means that it's no longer private.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

By the way why are the Guards usually two to a car when the UK are often single manned ?

It's safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I read the report and the ombudsman didnt even send a file to the DPP in relation to the altering of the tape at Maynooth, its the ombudsmans office that should be disiplined for such a poor investigation. Once this tape was altered no one could be prosecuted as it would not stand up in court. This should have been investigated fully and it was not. I doubt the Garda will accept any disipline for this reason and they also have every right to be aggreived at the poor investigation. if the tape held up in favour of the protestors it would have been handed over immediately, it wasnt and they clearly had something to hide. I think a precident has now been set in relation to CCTV evidence that will hinder investigations for all going forward. Ombudsmans cock up again!

I actually support the Shell project :D

If it the comment was made out of earshot then it wasn't a threat but it was incredibly stupid - mind you so was not seeing & checking the camcorder. They should be disciplined for that !

I have dealt with the Police in the UK & the Gardai here. The Guards are like the UK Police were 30 years ago - it's like going back in time. By the way why are the Guards usually two to a car when the UK are often single manned ?

I agree with the first two parpagraphs.

As for the comparison of UK and ROI police forces, I disagree and I think a dead Brazilian man and his family would agree with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement