Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New .243

Options
  • 24-04-2012 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

So I picked up my new custom .243 from Fergal White's last friday, and did the barrel break in and zero'd it at 230 yards with 58gr superformance, and now that I've done all that I thought I'd stick up a couple of pics.
    The spec of the rifle is a tikka action and trigger from my old .223, bartlein 25" 1:10 twist fluted light varmint barrel, pse stock glass bedded, karsten cheek piece, accushot monopod, Harris 9-13" swivel bipod, sako optilok mounts, nightforce nxs 8-32x56 and an ase northstar mod.
    Here's the pics.
    d8fe6eaa.jpg
    3d80cff0.jpg
    6cdcb8fa.jpg
    565f4c0f.jpg
    e758ece9.jpg
    And this is the first group I shot with the 58gr superformance after breaking in the barrel. 3 shots Distance 120 yards, 7-10mph wind from 9o'clock, no rear bag rest. Group is 0.24" from centre to centre. I'm confident this rifle will do one hole groups with a rear bag
    19383854.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

lovely rifle, nice group too.:):):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Shoot her in good health Declan. icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Savage rifle you have there,:cool: doing something similar myself except leaving the factory barrel on cause its brand new!

Just wondering why did you go with the Karsten cheekpiece? was the comb on the pse stock low?? Just wondering as i'll be ordering one in the next few days hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

best of luck with it Declan, looks like an absolute beaut of a gun !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

patsat wrote: »
    Savage rifle you have there,:cool: doing something similar myself except leaving the factory barrel on cause its brand new!

Just wondering why did you go with the Karsten cheekpiece? was the comb on the pse stock low?? Just wondering as i'll be ordering one in the next few days hopefully

the rifle started out as a tikka supervarmint, which had an adjustable cheekpiece that i always kept set pretty high. when i changed to the pse stock i found it a bit low for my liking. i was getting fergal white to glass bed the stock anyway, and when i called up to him to drop off the rifle, i saw the cheek piece on his counter. he said it wasn't for any body in particular, so i asked him to put it on the rifle. it made it much more comfortable for me to shoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice gun. Looks very trim for having a 25" barrel too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Very nice, well wear :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Very nice Declan. Best of luck with her.:cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Lovely job best of luck with it:) and let us know how you get on keeping the freezer full with venison :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Lovely piece of kit, hope it gives you years of pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Nice rifle!

Have you thrown it up on a scales to see what she weighs? What's the balance like with the mod on?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Nice rifle!

Have you thrown it up on a scales to see what she weighs? What's the balance like with the mod on?

I haven't weighed it, but it feels a hell of a lot lighter than before. It balances perfectly for me without the mod, and is quite manageable with the mod on. It'll be nice for standing shots with or without the mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Lovely rifle declan. Best of luck with it. Shes a flat shooter

4200fps wrote: »
    Lovely rifle declan. Best of luck with it. Shes a flat shooter

Thanks, I'd say it is a flat shooter alright. I'm really looking forward to getting time to head up to the range with her to see what she's really capable of, but since I'm gonna be working 7 days week until June she just be looking pretty in my safe till then

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

You shot that group with no back bag!!:eek:...ever heard of F/TR!:)

You can even use a back bag, if you like.;)

Adrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

well wear declan. it is looking sharp.

i cant wait to see her in action

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Thats one tight group Declan best of luck with her. :D Have you tried any of the heavier stuff yet?

Thats one tight group Declan best of luck with her. :D Have you tried any of the heavier stuff yet?

I was using 100gr soft points for the break in, and didn't find them too bad at all. It's not much punchier than the .223, you just notice it a small bit more. I found the 58gr superformance around the same as the 100gr soft points for recoil. I'm really looking forward to trying them out on a fox. I was itching to shoot something with it there this evening, and was contemplating blowing up a rabbit, but I kind of promised myself I'd christen it with a fox because I christened the .223 with a fox and I had great success with it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Nice set up there Dec and thats nice tidy groupin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

really tidy setup, just wondering what the barrel cost to buy and fit

• Advertisement
Advertisement