Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your claim to fame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I never wanted my 15 minutes, but I did appear on a TV show against my will as a favour. Ugh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Elba101 wrote: »
    I never wanted my 15 minutes, but I did appear on a TV show against my will as a favour. Ugh....

wasnt crimecall was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There was a fancy dress party for Halloween in a friends house a few years ago. Couldn't think of something to dress as, and remembered my I Shot JR t-shirt. Thought I needed something more and remembered something Tom did in one of the Father Ted episodes.

Anyways, long story short, I won the best dressed at the house party, but when we went into town (in Waterford), I got thrown out of Harvey's for having a dead rabbit with me.

Over a year later, a new guy started in work from New Ross, and he was telling me the story of a guy who was in Harvey's with a dead rabbit, and then I knew I'd made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I was in the Sunday Independent bawling when my team got relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I don't really have a claim to fame. But a friend of mine inadvertently became world famous overnight last summer, because he was a victim of assault. I was in Asia, he was in the UK, and I was seeing him on the news over there. He's ok now. And still gets recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 John the baptist

I got 2 pages in the Irish Mirror years ago for running on to a pitch in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I was in the film 'Becoming Jane' for about 1/3 of a second. So in answer to the OP's question: nope I'm not known for anything! Was dressed as a Red Coat too, getting plenty of abuse from the locals between takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

i won a tv IQ show called "Test The Nation". The show hasn't returned so i'm still the reigning champion if anyone wants to take me on. Was a bit of fun getting recognised. Now i sit all alone on a bar stool telling anyone who'll listen

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I'd feel like i'm a Giraffe walking down Grafton Street . No thanks it would spoil it .I don't need the opinions of the masses to tell me who i am .They could'nt anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mum's uncle was the 8th man on the moon

Bryan Hamilton is my second cousin also.

And distantly related to Kurt Cobain.

Not a bad haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Played Mick Hucknall in a game of pool and the hore beat me!
    Shared a lift in Beamont hosp with the Edge, he was visiting a relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

While in a hotel on a business trip to South Africa I got in a elevator with Desmond Tutu. Very gassy man tbh.
    Erm circa 1992, I served Aonghus McAnally a Bloody Mary garnished with celery.
    I once lunged wildly at Alastair Stewart OBE of Police, Camera, Action fame.
    Got frisked by Ronnie Corbett's body guards whilst being restrained by them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I'm the reason why soldiers have to wear high viz jackets at checkpoints !

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Faolchu wrote: »
    wasnt crimecall was it?

No, crimewatch. Completely different show altogether now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Elba101 wrote: »
    Winning Streak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I delivered a park bench on Hollyoaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had 25 wins on Mortal Kombat II on the SNES at a house party.

I retired undefeated as well as having been banned from it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

In primary school, won some sort of group art competition and we got to meet Don Conroy, who presented us with our prizes.

Star power or what!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I have had a couple of my write ups for a club & pictures published in Total BMW magazine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

All the Irish brothers, sisters and cousins of Obama, come on, step forward, don't keep us waiting :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I had a piss beside Paul in Fair City in a pub once ! Our piss ''merged'' That makes us ''piss brothers''
    Beat That !!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Showing my age now but I shared a flat in London with Dennis Waterman in 1981 for 10 months (he's my sister-in-law's first cousin).

As a result, I appeared in three or four episodes as an extra , sitting drinking in the Winchester Club each time.

Fantastic experience. Obviously several other spin off claims-to-fame such as meeting George Cole etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I fingered Samantha Mumba in Old Wesley in the late 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have no claim to fame and am proud of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Starred in a feature on tv once, good few years ago now, but I haven't been in anything since. I was cast in a short feature film that went on to Sundance and won an award, but I couldn't take the role, as I had to go to the Gaeltacht, which clashed with filming.

Another reason to hate the ****ing Gaeltacht.

Ah, my faded dreams :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

A drawing of mine appeared on the BBC programme Playschool back in 1980.

Also, I appeared for a few seconds on an RTE programme about Gaeltacht schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've been on tv a few times. The camera doesn't add 5 pounds. It adds around fkn 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Had 25 wins on Mortal Kombat II on the SNES at a house party.

I retired undefeated as well as having been banned from it :pac:

Hang in a minute... Was mortal combat not only on the megadrive? I call shennanagins.

Edit: it seems I was wrong with a quick google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I fingered Samantha Mumba in Old Wesley in the late 90's.

Before he became a footballer and signed for Bolton ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Formosa wrote: »
    Showing my age now but I shared a flat in London with Dennis Waterman in 1981 for 10 months (he's my sister-in-law's first cousin).

As a result, I appeared in three or four episodes as an extra , sitting drinking in the Winchester Club each time.

Fantastic experience. Obviously several other spin off claims-to-fame such as meeting George Cole etc.

Cool, I love Minder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I got hit by a double decker bus, I was knocked about 10 feet, but I got up and not a thing wrong with me. But that is not my claim to fame.

I am the only fkucen idiot to get hit by a bus and not claim CIE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I was in the front row of The Late Late Show back in 1998. Mr Motivator was a guest and got the audience to do a workout. Camera focussed on me, people I knew watching at home thought I was having some sort of a spazz attack I was that bad (shít audience prizes that night too, Mr Motivator DVD and a Dairygold hamper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i'm the greatest poster on the internet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

have had quite a few but the worst one was being on RTE news falling with a collapsing wall at a football match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've the smallest knob in Ireland. At least I think I have. I haven't actually seen it since 1998 :D

Stand over a mirror and spread your legs. You're bound to see something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Plazaman wrote: »
    I was in the front row of The Late Late Show back in 1998. Mr Motivator was a guest and got the audience to do a workout. Camera focussed on me, people I knew watching at home thought I was having some sort of a spazz attack I was that bad (shít audience prizes that night too, Mr Motivator DVD and a Dairygold hamper).

Prize

a reward for victory or superiority, as in a contest or competition.
    something that is won in a lottery or the like.
    anything striven for, worth striving for, or much valued.
    something seized or captured, especially an enemy's ship and cargo captured at sea in wartime.
    the act of taking or capturing, especially a ship at sea.

You mean stuff you "win" for being there?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

a youtube video of mine went viral and was mentioned in the irish times, and I've had a few movie credits. that's about it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My face might be on TG4 on Sunday. That's kinda cool, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Prize

a reward for victory or superiority, as in a contest or competition.
    something that is won in a lottery or the like.
    anything striven for, worth striving for, or much valued.
    something seized or captured, especially an enemy's ship and cargo captured at sea in wartime.
    the act of taking or capturing, especially a ship at sea.

You mean stuff you "win" for being there?

Not even win. The "one for everyone in the audience", however that is described - called free shít now but revered back in the 90's.

Just had a bad flashback though. I was staying in a hotel that night and by the morning all the butter in my Dairygold hamper had melted and made a vile mess of the place so all I really came away with was two blocks of red and two blocks of white cheese.

Left the DVD for the clean up crew which I am sure they were very appreciative of so therefore I'll adjust my claim to fame - made hotel staff happy and (hopefully) fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I fingered [Jackass] in Old Wesley in the late 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Gay Byrne set fire to my £20.00 note live on the late late show, then at the end of show I was invited back stage to green room so they could get my address to post me a cheque, it seemed no one had the cash in RTE to give it back to me, good part was sitting at the bar with Bill Drummond have the chat and the pints while ignoring boyzone, it was not their famous first appearance but a later one.

Also went for dinner with Gareth Peirce, she was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gay Byrne set fire to my £20.00 note live on the late late show, then at the end of show I was invited back stage to green room so they could get my address to post me a cheque, it seemed no one had the cash in RTE to give it back to me, good part was sitting at the bar with Bill Drummond have the chat and the pints while ignoring boyzone, it was not their famous first appearance but a later one.

Also went for dinner with Gareth Peirce, she was lovely.

Cheque? lord what a bunch of jovial jackasses . I would have said, lads somebody get me my money now or I set the fcuking studio on fire.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Cheque? lord what a bunch of jovial jackasses . I would have said, lads somebody get me my money now or I set the fcuking studio on fire.:pac:

I was a poor student at the time (still poor) but the did send a cheque for £50 so I was up on the deal, also the free pints for me and my mates was cool. The one for everyone in the audience was well poor though, went to show a few times never got good gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i was once mistaken for being elvis..true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Captain Plan It

i shot to fame a few years back, RTE were doing their "its snowing" piece for the 9 o clock news, pricks filmed me slipping on the ice and smashing my head on the pavement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

I was in a few episodes of the cosby show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I appeared on Echo Island's Hot Seat quiz.

Questions were delivered by none other than Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh. Upon arrival on set she asked me to hold her coffee.. and then ****ed off for a half hour leaving me standing like a twat.

She's a right **** anyway.

For a couple of years after I was affectionately (not) known locally as "echo island". Pricks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well.....I was walking by Heuston station in the snow when rte happened to be filming........

not actually true I'm not the guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whingerginger

I was a bit of a decent actor when I was younger. Ended up on the Den in 2001 promoting a play I was in at the time. Met the puppeteers that do Dustin and Socky. Lovely bunch of guys.

A little later, I starred in a short film with Tom Hickey (of The Riordans fame) Probably better known for his role in that cracking good club orange ad. youtube link here. Didn't think much about it until I went to see Intermission in the cinema, and it popped up on the big screen as one of those short films they used to throw in before the feature film started.

• Advertisement
Advertisement