Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative studies HL English. HELLPPP!

• 24-04-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know for sure that the three modes coming up are General V&V
    , Theme/Issue and Lit. Genre?
    What about Cultural Context?
    And also, anyone studying The Great Gatsby, Sive and The Constant Gardener?
    Or even one of those?
    Have like zero notes and any of them, and any helo would be much apprecicated.
    Especially on theme or issue as we havent done it at all, but CC instead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Cultural Context isnt on the course this year!!!! :eek:
    Wow that's carelessness...one teacher in my school did it but he fixed it like :rolleyes:
    I'm doing CG and my theme is growing up in the third world and its difficulty, whats yours? Maybe I can help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

Do you create your own theme in HL English? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Cultural Context isnt on the course this year!!!! :eek:
    Wow that's carelessness...one teacher in my school did it but he fixed it like :rolleyes:
    I'm doing CG and my theme is growing up in the third world and its difficulty, whats yours? Maybe I can help :)

I know, I was so pissed when I found out :O
    I still havent mentioned it to him yet, and most of our class think we're doing cultural context as far as I know.
    Thats the thing I dont have one, he hasnt done them at ALL with us, for any texts.
    Whats your other texts and how does that link to them?
    I cant think of one that links all mine together :/

Inimitable wrote: »
    Do you create your own theme in HL English? :confused:

Yeah you pick one theme and write about it no matter what comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

biohaiid wrote: »
    Does anyone know for sure that the three modes coming up are General V&V
    , Theme/Issue and Lit. Genre?
    What about Cultural Context?
    And also, anyone studying The Great Gatsby, Sive and The Constant Gardener?
    Or even one of those?
    Have like zero notes and any of them, and any helo would be much apprecicated.
    Especially on theme or issue as we havent done it at all, but CC instead.

Seriously, tell your teacher about the cultural context thing. That's terrible :/

• Advertisement

Hayezer wrote: »
    Seriously, tell your teacher about the cultural context thing. That's terrible :/

Yeah I plan to just been busy with orals and stuff.
    I hope he didnt give notes on it some day I wasnt in or something or id fell very very stupid. :L

I know, I was so pissed when I found out :O
    I still havent mentioned it to him yet, and most of our class think we're doing cultural context as far as I know.
    Thats the thing I dont have one, he hasnt done them at ALL with us, for any texts.
    Whats your other texts and how does that link to them?
    I cant think of one that links all mine together :/
    Jeeeeeeeeeeez that is stupid...I'd really tell him asap!
    My other two texts are the kite runner and purple hibiscus, tbh CG is a bit different to them and we use it for the (a) parts because KR and PH are shockingly similar :pac: One of the other classes does Gatsby with Atonement and something else with the theme of unrequited love, so I really dont know if that might link to CG. You could leave theme out, and its not meant to be coming up this year, but its not too different to GV+V from what we've done and Literary Genre is meant to be pretty awful so we left that out - maybe your teacher will do LG and GV+V?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Jeeeeeeeeeeez that is stupid...I'd really tell him asap!
    My other two texts are the kite runner and purple hibiscus, tbh CG is a bit different to them and we use it for the (a) parts because KR and PH are shockingly similar :pac: One of the other classes does Gatsby with Atonement and something else with the theme of unrequited love, so I really dont know if that might link to CG. You could leave theme out, and its not meant to be coming up this year, but its not too different to GV+V from what we've done and Literary Genre is meant to be pretty awful so we left that out - maybe your teacher will do LG and GV+V?

I think I will!hah
    Thats like ours, sive and cg are similar and then gatsby is just completley out of the blue :/
    Hmm yeah unrequited could work I think!
    Yeah weve done GV and LG, but he told us not to really focus on LG so were pretty much screwed in june if we dont sort out this theme thing pretty soon haha

Thanks for the help :)

Hmm, as long as you tell him about the CC thing you should be fine :P
    No problem, hope it works out okay for you. :)

Hi!
    Just wondering now would it be too late to change my texts to Dancing at Lunasa, Inside im dancing and how many miles to babylon?
    I have pretty good notes on them, even though I dont have a clue what happens in the story.
    What would be the best option at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

For the comparative would comparing genre, setting, relationships, humour and the resolution of the three texts be enough? Hoping for an A, or at least B1.

For the theme question, theme being "love", would comparing maternal, romantic and unrequited love be enough. I'm concerned that romantic and unrequited love are quite similar and overlap in some of the texts. Should I combine them and also do platonic love.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    For the comparative would comparing genre, setting, relationships, humour and the resolution of the three texts be enough? Hoping for an A, or at least B1.

For the theme question, theme being "love", would comparing maternal, romantic and unrequited love be enough. I'm concerned that romantic and unrequited love are quite similar and overlap in some of the texts. Should I combine them and also do platonic love.

Anyone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Martin_94 wrote: »

Under what heading would you be comparing genre, setting, relationships etc?

As you have three texts to discuss, comparing maternal and romantic love would certainly be enough. You can squeeze in platonic if you are really looking to fill it up...but if you want a high grade you should be able to find enough material to compare just those two types of love.

Out of interest, what texts are you studying?

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Under what heading would you be comparing genre, setting, relationships etc?

As you have three texts to discuss, comparing maternal and romantic love would certainly be enough. You can squeeze in platonic if you are really looking to fill it up...but if you want a high grade you should be able to find enough material to compare just those two types of love.

Out of interest, what texts are you studying?

For the literary genre question, would comparing genre, setting, relationships, humour and resolution be enough.

I'm studying Dancing at Lughnasa, Inside I'm Dancing and How Many Miles To Babylon.

I think you're getting a bit bogged down here. There's no need to squeeze all of that into a literary genre question. You're being asked how the texts fit into a certain genre, not about everything the texts explore. Broadly speaking, genre refers to the manner in which the story is told e.g. for Wuthering Heights an embedded, layered narrative with an unreliable narrator - a gothic Romantic text. So you would discuss why and how the text uses these techniques and how it displays gothic elements as well as elements of Romanticism. I'm not familiar with the texts you're studying specifically, however. Yes humour may be an important thing to discuss if for example the genre of the texts is comedy and in this case resolution would also come into play. Is the text a play, film, novel, autobiography or biography? How does the format of the text affect the story?
    Who is the narrator and are they reliable? Is it told in the first person narrative or the third person narrative?
    How do the techniques employed by the author manipulate how we relate to certain characters and the way that they react to certain situations?
    Is the ending shocking or expected?
    Is the story told in chronological order or is the timing of events disorganised? Are there flashbacks or digressions? Stream-of-consciousness?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'm studying The Constant Gardener, A Whistle in the Dark and Never Let Me Go. If anybody is doing any of these, help would be appreciated!

Also Biohaiid, what do you have on the Constant Gardener so far? :) I have decent-ish notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Was just wondering if anyone is doing the same texts as myself, and if so how are you structuring you LG and GV+V questions? I'm going to try write out a plan for both now but I'm struggling. :(

I'm doing Wuthering Heights, How Many Miles to Babylon and Casablanca.

Was just wondering if anyone is doing the same texts as myself, and if so how are you structuring you LG and GV+V questions? I'm going to try write out a plan for both now but I'm struggling. :(

I'm doing Wuthering Heights, How Many Miles to Babylon and Casablanca.

Thesis Statement i.e. the question on the paper.

Section One: Name all of the texts you are studying and how they relate to the question. If your GV&V is negative and dark you would briefly state how the texts are dark e.g. Wuthering Heights is a dark text because the protagonist is obsessed with revenge after he is spurned by Catherine etc. State your primary text and how you will examine that first and then compare it to your other texts.

Section Two: Discuss the primary text only. Examine a few key scenes in the novel that have evidence for your argument.

Section Three: Discuss the key scenes in your next text, but keep comparing them to those in the first text. Make sure you keep making comparative comments. The more you have, the more marks you get. Do not spend any time discussing the second text on its own. Everything you say must be compared to the primary text.

Section Four: Discuss the key scenes in the third text, in relation to both of the previous texts. Again, everything must be a comparison.

Section Five: Conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Benedrum

Thesis Statement i.e. the question on the paper.

Section One: Name all of the texts you are studying and how they relate to the question. If your GV&V is negative and dark you would briefly state how the texts are dark e.g. Wuthering Heights is a dark text because the protagonist is obsessed with revenge after he is spurned by Catherine etc. State your primary text and how you will examine that first and then compare it to your other texts.

Section Two: Discuss the primary text only. Examine a few key scenes in the novel that have evidence for your argument.

Section Three: Discuss the key scenes in your next text, but keep comparing them to those in the first text. Make sure you keep making comparative comments. The more you have, the more marks you get. Do not spend any time discussing the second text on its own. Everything you say must be compared to the primary text.

Section Four: Discuss the key scenes in the third text, in relation to both of the previous texts. Again, everything must be a comparison.

Section Five: Conclusion.

Is this format for just the GV&V or for a general format for any theme? It's very helpful though, because i really wasn't sure how to go about structuring it!

Benedrum wrote: »
    Is this format for just the GV&V or for a general format for any theme? It's very helpful though, because i really wasn't sure how to go about structuring it!

That'd be a general format for any theme! And make sure you always keep your p.c.l.m. in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Benedrum

Another question, how long does the essay have to be? Im guessing the first and last paragraphs would be relatively short, and the three middle paragraphs significantly longer, and all about equal length? But how long for the essay as a whole, 4 pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Does anyone know how to about the Theme/Issue question? I'm only starting it now(Yes, I know:rolleyes:) and don't know how to start off. Are we allowed to just write about one text per paragraph(as mentioned above), or do we need topics? My theme is identity and I just don't know how I go about doing the essay. I have 3 topics I can use such as Setting, father figures and friends.

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to about the Theme/Issue question? I'm only starting it now(Yes, I know:rolleyes:) and don't know how to start off. Are we allowed to just write about one text per paragraph(as mentioned above), or do we need topics? My theme is identity and I just don't know how I go about doing the essay. I have 3 topics I can use such as Setting, father figures and friends.

There's no limit in terms of paragraphs. One paragraph per text is not what was stated above. Rather, it is one section per text. A section may be comprised of a number of paragraphs.

Can you elaborate on how the setting, father figures and friends are relevant to the theme of identity in the texts you're discussing?

There's no limit in terms of paragraphs. One paragraph per text is not what was stated above. Rather, it is one section per text. A section may be comprised of a number of paragraphs.

Can you elaborate on how the setting, father figures and friends are relevant to the theme of identity in the texts you're discussing?

Sorry, I meant section :rolleyes: Well my texts are The Kite Runner, Dancing at Lughnasa and I'm not scared. I was going to write how the setting of each text shapes the main character's identity(and it's what readers initially identify the characters with). Then how each character's father forms their identity, and how their friends do too(or lack of, if I'm mentioning Michael in DAL :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Can someone please help me!? I'm really struggling with this GVV craic. Was 100% sure LG is going to come up and only planned on studying that, but now I am having 2nd thoughts so I'm thinking of doing The Gvv as well just to cover my back. I can't seem to grasp the concept of it though and won't be in school again to ask my teacher. Do you just take certain elements of the texts and compare them or what? I always hear people going on about optimism and pessimism but I'm fairly lost tbh :(

Wkds wrote: »
    Can someone please help me!? I'm really struggling with this GVV craic. Was 100% sure LG is going to come up and only planned on studying that, but now I am having 2nd thoughts so I'm thinking of doing The Gvv as well just to cover my back. I can't seem to grasp the concept of it though and won't be in school again to ask my teacher. Do you just take certain elements of the texts and compare them or what? I always hear people going on about optimism and pessimism but I'm fairly lost tbh :(

Ya positive and negative is right.
    I think its like the writers outlook when they were writing the piece, therefore influencing our thoughts (positive/negative).
    Then again I still know **** all about comparative in general.

Benedrum wrote: »
    Another question, how long does the essay have to be? Im guessing the first and last paragraphs would be relatively short, and the three middle paragraphs significantly longer, and all about equal length? But how long for the essay as a whole, 4 pages?

It all depends on how quickly you can write under pressure and how many points you have to make. I remember writing abut five or six pages but I am a very fast writer and I know a few people who only wrote three or four and they did fine, so don't worry too much about the length. Quality over quantity!
    Sorry, I meant section :rolleyes: Well my texts are The Kite Runner, Dancing at Lughnasa and I'm not scared. I was going to write how the setting of each text shapes the main character's identity(and it's what readers initially identify the characters with). Then how each character's father forms their identity, and how their friends do too(or lack of, if I'm mentioning Michael in DAL :D)

Well I'm not familiar with those texts unfortunately, but as long as you can clearly provide evidence for how each of those things shapes the identity of the main character in each text, then that is absolutely fine. It's very good to structure your essay into different sections either way.
    Wkds wrote: »
    Can someone please help me!? I'm really struggling with this GVV craic. Was 100% sure LG is going to come up and only planned on studying that, but now I am having 2nd thoughts so I'm thinking of doing The Gvv as well just to cover my back. I can't seem to grasp the concept of it though and won't be in school again to ask my teacher. Do you just take certain elements of the texts and compare them or what? I always hear people going on about optimism and pessimism but I'm fairly lost tbh(

Ya positive and negative is right.
    I think its like the writers outlook when they were writing the piece, therefore influencing our thoughts (positive/negative).
    Then again I still know **** all about comparative in general.

I would definitely recommend that you prepare for GV&V too!

Okay, so there seems to be some confusion as to what the GV&V is. Don't worry, it's actually very simple. How did you feel reading the text? Were you full of hope for the main character and his/her prospects? Was the ending happy? Was it tragic? Did the text make you despair and question the value of life?

The one advantage with the Leaving Cert English exam is that Paper Two is entirely based around your personal response. It's all about your opinion and evaluation of the texts.

I remember doing this particular comparative in school and the teacher said we should say that the GV&V was a positive, hopeful one. I completely disagreed. I thought the texts we did were horribly negative and hopeless and I argued with her. After laying out my reasons for my point of view, my teacher agreed that I should write from my own experience of the texts.

So, look at key scenes that really struck you and the ending in each text. If your overall opinion/feeling is that the story is full of happiness/hope then your GV&V is one of positivity and optimism. If you feel negative, then it's negative. And if it's a mixture or ambiguous then it is perfectly valid to say that too.

Then when you write your essay, select maybe one or two key scenes that highlight these feelings/show how negative/optimistic the text is. Make sure to mention the ending.

Best of luck!

Just on the note of GV+V(above).. Is it okay to say that 2 texts are optimistic and the other is pessimisstic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just on the note of GV+V(above).. Is it okay to say that 2 texts are optimistic and the other is pessimisstic?

Yes, that's even better actually!

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yes, that's even better actually!

Agreed!

Remember to keep emphasising your feelings and your opinions. And make sure you clearly show how the scenes you've chosen are negative/optimistic/ambiguous in their outlook.

A lot of students lose marks in the comparative because they forget to actually compare the texts i.e. they start discussing the key scenes of each text and how they relate to the question asked but forget to constantly compare the texts to each-other.

The more comparative comments you have, the more marks you'll get. When I wrote my practice essays I used to write 'cc' above every comment I made that compared two or more texts. At the end I counted them and if I didn't have a decent number I'd add in some more.

Advertisement