Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative studies HL English. HELLPPP!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Just rereading the only two comparative essays I've ever wrote (I know, I know) and I just realized that I have never put any quotes in them. :o

How many quotes are you putting per paragraph if a general 5-6 paragraph answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I dont put any quotes in :L
    Theres one part in one of our books where the dad hits the mam with a table and causes a miscarriage and she tells her sister "my blood died on that floor", or in the movie when the little girl will reach a refugee camp "if shes lucky", but that fits in anyway. I didnt learn off quotations, and I'm in ****e if we were supposed to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh thank god. I have a few basic ones ie "I am Heathcliff" "because I am an officer they leave me with my shoelaces, pen and paper" and a few from Casablanca that everyone knows, might slot in a few in the day just in case. Oh comparative, you'll be the end of me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I looooooooooveeeeee comparative, its so straightforward I find, I mean they barely change the question. :) The key seems to be "similarly", "we see this reflected in..." and stuff like that. No quotes needed I hope. Maybe for Literary Genre but we left that out. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I'm also wondering if quotes are that important? One of my texts is an Italian film so I'm kind of limited :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Just rereading the only two comparative essays I've ever wrote (I know, I know) and I just realized that I have never put any quotes in them. :o

How many quotes are you putting per paragraph if a general 5-6 paragraph answer?

SeanMadd wrote: »
    I'm also wondering if quotes are that important? One of my texts is an Italian film so I'm kind of limited :pac:

Quotes aren't the most important thing. Yes, it is helpful to have them, but you won't/shouldn't be marked down if you demonstrate a detailed knowledge of each text and you have a strong argument.

Learn a few easy ones for each text and if you can't learn any more than that, don't stress about it.

Paraphrasing is your friend here e.g. when Cathy said she could never marry Heathcliff in the kitchen because it would be degrading for someone in her position.... By doing that, you've shown you know the scene well but you haven't actually quoted.

A few quotes per text, along with a few paraphrased sentences and detailed discussion of key scenes will go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I still havent touched comparative. Dreading it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 staceyb

biohaiid wrote: »
    I still havent touched comparative. Dreading it :/

Oh thank god I'm not the only one! First and only comparative I did was in the mocks and I got a D :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carsloane

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi!
    Just wondering now would it be too late to change my texts to Dancing at Lunasa, Inside im dancing and how many miles to babylon?
    I have pretty good notes on them, even though I dont have a clue what happens in the story.
    What would be the best option at this stage?

There are great comparisons between D.A.L & I.I.D.
    The feeling of isolation from society ( I think is the most obvious )
    The need for Liberation and self-expression/trying to pursue emotional independence

My son is doing his leaving Cert and only concentrating on the above two texts, as advised by the teacher.

I'm also thinking of the cultural context in relation to conflict? D.A.L - they are fearful of going against tradition, eg religion and trying to abide by the rules of the then society and what is expected. Whereas, in I.I.D...there is much more of a rebellious theme going on.

Advertisement