Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guatemalan wildlife

• 25-04-2012 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

I´ll be spending some time in some of the jungles in Guatemala. Any particularly interesting wildlife I should keep an eye out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Jaguar, Puma, Tapir, Peccary, various monkeys etc. You should see some fantastic birds too. I'm jealous of you!!!!!!!!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds great, be sure to take some pics!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

I was in neighbouring Costa Rica, which has much the same wildlife. Guatemala's park network wouldn't be as good though.

Extremely unlikely you will see Jaguar, Puma or Tapir. All rare and elusive.

The number one species you might see and that everybody who visits central america wants to see is the Resplentant Quetzal or El Quetzal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resplendent_Quetzal). There most easy to see in Cloud forest during the breeding season. I managed to see and photograph one and was defo the highlight of my trip. Here's the one I saw, minus unfortunately his tail feathers. They like fruiting fig trees so look out for a fig tree that is laden with fruit and you have a good chance.
    costarica2008419.jpg

I photographed this poison dart frog in lowland rain forest. Be careful to wash your hands after holding him. If you don't wash your hands well after holding him you could die:). costarica2008298.jpg

Eyelash vipers are very common in rainforest and come in loads of colours.
    I couldn't resist touching this fellow's tail. costarica2008229.jpg

The beautiful Black-necked stilt found in coastal regions.
    costarica2008248.jpg

White faced capchin monkeys are quite common in forested regions.
    costarica2008235.jpg

Hummingbirds are another must to see. Easiest to see around hummingbird feeders. Most national parks will have a few feeders and you will see plenty at them at them. Here's a violet sabrewing.
    costarica2008392.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Great post, thanks for all the pics.

I'm hoping to see a quetzal. I'd love to see a jaguar, but as you've said, I believe they're extremely reclusive around humans, so it's unlikely.

Don't think id have the balls to touch that viper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pepefloyd

yekahS wrote: »
    Great post, thanks for all the pics.

I'm hoping to see a quetzal. I'd love to see a jaguar, but as you've said, I believe they're extremely reclusive around humans, so it's unlikely.

Don't think id have the balls to touch that viper.

Where exactly in Guatemala are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I had an amazing trip.

I saw some amazing animals. Most of which I couldn't identify due to my lack of knowledge.

I saw and photographed spider monkeys, howler monkeys, toucans, tarantulas, parrot snakes, iguanas.

Did some snorkeling too, where I saw turtles, nurse sharks, angelfish, eagle rays, and a huge amount of other species.

Unfortunately, my camera was stolen in Mexico, so all my photos are gone. I am gutted, because I got some really great shots.

The highlight was something I heard, rather than saw though. We heard a Jaguar about 30 metres or so away. At least my guide was sure it was a jaguar, and pointed out some Jaguarundi tracks to me later on that day.

Hearing the howler monkey calls in person was pretty amazing too. It sounds like something out of Jurassic park.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aw man, that sucks about the camera :( Glad you had what sounds like a great trip besides though! Hearing a Jaguar is the next best thing to seeing one!

Advertisement