Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Hours? Are we a cancerous growth on the face of Boards?

• 25-04-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I'd prefer to think that we're more a bold(bould) child that needs a slap now and again. But, do people come on to Boards, check the most popular forum, see AH, and then miss out on the rest of Boards, because they've no interest in a site that could allow the likes of us?

It would be a shame to see all that hiking gear from Aldi go to waste just because of us.

"Do people come on to Boards?"

*snigger*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes, Boards used to be beautiful but what man would want her now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd say far more people stay on boards because of after hours than are put off by it. After hours kicks ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Every single night I come to boards to educate myself and hopefully do my bit in making the world a little bit of a better place.

But I always end up posting sh1te on here :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

After Hours to Boards is like Google to the Internet. Inseparable for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Best forum by far.

AMC, do you ever post sober? That's one of the great things about AH, I don't think 90% of people here do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The notion that AH is somehow a little edgy and mischievous is ridiculous. Its a fucking Internet forum

We're mad us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Politics is the cancer of boards, so many people who want to stand on their soapboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'd say far more people stay on boards because of after hours than are put off by it. After hours kicks ass.
    Hear, hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

D1stant wrote: »
    The notion that AH is somehow a little edgy and mischievous is ridiculous. Its a fucking Internet forum

We're mad us :(

It's a little mischievous, but too well-moderated to be edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I'd prefer to think it was located on the arse of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Hear, hear!

You hear what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

grindle wrote: »
    It's a little mischievous, but too well-moderated to be edgy.
    Wow. Praise and a kick in the bollocks all at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hear, hear!

*pants jumps around*

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Hear, hear!

You hear what?
    Whatever it was he heard it twice...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yep, I first found boards a year ago because I needed some prices/cost for insulation. Some right twats in that forum. Now I am a daily lurker on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

One time I nearly got banned from AH

My life flashed before my eyes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

*puts hiking gear away :(

It can be funny and when it's funny and interesting it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

After Hours is weird, wacky, wonderful and never a dull moment either. It's the best forum here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I do wish some people would just cop the feck on to themselves, but ah ain't the worst. ;)

Wow. Praise and a kick in the bollocks all at the same time!

AH, I meant it in a nice way. There are other places for real mental regurgitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

When it's good it's very, very good,
    but when it's bad, it's 'orrid:D

Links234 wrote: »
    I do wish some people would just cop the feck on to themselves, but ah ain't the worst. ;)

But sometimes the eejits and trolls can really add to a thread and turn what would normally be a boring, average thread into a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love this place, if people think AH is bad then check out 4chan, youtube comments and the imdb message boards for true internet asshats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

AH is hugely addictive, the rest of the site I can take or leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

But sometimes the eejits and trolls can really add to a thread and turn what would normally be a boring, average thread into a classic.

Like that guy going on about how it's a man's right to a woman not so long ago, I was in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Boards is like the Sheens:

The passion fueled, talent laden fora are it's.. 'Martin'.

The sensible serious (but somewhat demented and sad) fora it's.. 'Emilio'.

The private ones it's.. 'Ramon' (yup, he exists but is quite hard to find).

And then there's AH and eh, well, think we all know which Sheen we'll be representative of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

brummytom wrote: »
    Best forum by far.

AMC, do you ever post sober? That's one of the great things about AH, I don't think 90% of people here do.

Jeeeeesh brummy - thanks for reminding me - I meant to lay into the vodka an hour ago and plain forgot. I'll find it now. I KNEW I'd forgotten something:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

more a boil on the arse of boards some very good threads lots of innane ones too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

brummytom wrote: »
    Best forum by far.

There was this post once, but I'm far too drunk to go looking for it now.

*assumes drunk uncle mode towards eldest nephew*

"Aaah Tom! You couldn't just run in there and find the post that I made sober could you? Meself and your father can't remember what it was about."

"I'll do me best uncle Choco, but I'm not promising anything"

*Tom goes into sitting-room*

"You've raised a good lad there Mick."

"....AND TOM BRING DOWN YOUR GUITAR AND SING US A TUNE."

\ Jameson.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ah/tards.

Nah just doesn't have the same ring to it. This place SUCKS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Politics is the cancer of boards, so many people who want to stand on their soapboxes.

:D

If posters want to shout the loudest or stick to stringent beliefs, AH is great for that. It's a bit like journal.ie for politics discussions, those who shout the loudest and know little, win.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

AH is very addictive. i was on boards for a good while before i ventured in here, never knew what it was. was scared. and i should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Yakult wrote: »
    Ah/tards.

Nah just doesn't have the same ring to it. This place SUCKS!

?f=7tards

Catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It would be good if it wasn't so over-moderated as has been said. There should be a general discussions section where normal rules DO apply.

KKkitty wrote: »
    After Hours is weird, wacky, wonderful and never a dull moment either. It's the best forum here :)

Heh Kitty,

Look, I hate to be a grammar Nazi, especially after Doctor B's warning, but it's spelled "wired".

Choco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ah not at all the level of douchebagery is tolerable here because you know its not genuine.

saa wrote: »
    Ah not at all the level of douchebagery is tolerable here because you know its not genuine.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

its full of so much epic win its the lulz

or is it a place for sad pathetic losers to hang out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

After hours represents boards the same way the Joe Duffy listenership represents Ireland.

efb wrote: »
    its full of so much epic win its the lulz

or is it a place for sad pathetic losers to hang out?

You say Tomayto, I say Tomahto. Let's call the whole thing off.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    After hours represents boards the same way the Joe Duffy listenership represents Ireland.

Can't recall the Joe Duffy listenership ever making me piss myself laughing. But, then again, I can't offer an educated opinion, as I've only ever heard three minutes of the Joe Duffy show in total. I got bored.

Are they wry and witty at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Heh Kitty,

Look, I hate to be a grammar Nazi, especially after Doctor B's warning, but it's spelled "wired".

Choco

In what context are you saying "wired"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Sometimes the mods are a bit trigger happy and shut down threads that have the potential to be really funny-epic threads too quickly, and conversely they allow blatant troll threads that piss off everyone to run too long. A good mod will always keep in touch with the forum and play an active part, I reckon that el.weirdo guy is a good addition, typical ah poster but with a good head on his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Can't recall the Joe Duffy listenership ever making me piss myself laughing. But, then again, I can't offer an educated opinion, as I've only ever heard three minutes of the Joe Duffy show in total. I got bored.

Are they wry and witty at times?

No never, the whinge, moan, complain and think the whole world owes them a favour while they sit at home scratching all day. Most of them anyway.:p

Hot Lips wrote: »
    In what context are you saying "wired"?

It was a joke (maybe poor) about how some people spell weird/wierd.

I changed it to "wired".

*assumes McBain pose*

"That is the joke" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I'm not a mole cilla, I'm a beauty spot. But if I get hairy you best pluck me

Advertisement