Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB charges me €10 for unpaid standing order....

Options
  • 25-04-2012 4:30am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

between my own accounts!

Basically every week I have a standing order that transfers a small sum of money from my current account to an online savings account.

Everything was set up on my account at aib.ie.

Last week I had to make rent and my account was empty when the S/O normally goes. It's nothing new, it's happened before. If I don't have the funds in my account nothing happens. My current account doesn't go overdrawn to make the payment.

Again, nothing happened last week. My account is not overdrawn.

I'm just overwhelmed here that they debited €10 out of my account (and that's all that was left in my account) cause I didn't have the funds to transfer to my own savings account.

It's too late to ring them but I'm sure ringing them to raise hell tomorrow, are they kidding? With people having difficulties they're just deciding to remove sums of money from people's accounts with no notice.

capturervw.png

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The charge would suggest you didn't have the funds available in your account, if the charge is part of the charges that can be applied to AIB customer's account and if you didn't have the funds available then it is a legit card.

While you may not like the charge AIB can charge for missed direct debits etc the same as any other bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, raise hell! Harass some kid in accounts whose fault it isn't! Or... be reasonable and rational and think it through? It's standard, it's automated, and it's not a deliberate policy to make life difficult for people. If something returns unpaid, there is a charge - the bank does not have telekinetic powers re your rent.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Because you were not charged before doesnt mean you shouldnt have been. Maybe you just got away with it before?

Hopefully once you give them a call you can sort out the fee, but get them to go through the t&cs of your account so that you know whether this is likely to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

In a lot of these cases you get a single "get out of jail free" card. They'll call it the "gesture of good will" so give them a ring and be nice and apologetic and you should get a refund. Be careful next time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

[QUOTE=jayteecork;78321701
    It's too late to ring them but I'm sure ringing them to raise hell tomorrow, are they kidding? [/QUOTE]

No they are not, read your terms and conditions.

They might have waived the fee in the past, but it is your responsibility to make sure you have the funds on your account to pay the standing order.

AIB are getting tougher on Bank Charges so they will probably make this charge each time this happens from now on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

10 euro for a missed transfer between your own AIB accounts seems pretty greedy. AIB are going to start imposing fees too, so it's a good time to start shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There was a tiny message in internet banking about this about a month ago. No letters were sent out or anything. I cancelled all my standing orders straight away except 1 to an online savings account, i had to write to the bank to cancel that one, cant wait to be rid of aib at the end of the month.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There was a tiny message in internet banking about this about a month ago. No letters were sent out or anything. I cancelled all my standing orders straight away except 1 to an online savings account, i had to write to the bank to cancel that one, cant wait to be rid of aib at the end of the month.

I rang them up but I'm not a hostile guy so I just cancelled the standing order.

What bank are you thinking of switching to?

I've had plenty of problems with AIB and I think it's hightime I jumped ship myself.

I went to boi to save 140euro plus a year in charges

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

next time ensure u have enough money in your account

Yep try keeping about 2500euro there just as a buffer!

Advertisement