Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the most humiliating thing you've ever had to do?

• 25-04-2012 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

My mam passed away a couple of months before Christmas. As some Boardsies will know, I suffer from a fairly serious episodic mental illness.

Anyway, I'm one of six children (although we're all adults now), and mam left what she had to be divided equally amongst the six of us.

But, because of my illness, my share has been left in trust (a sensible move) to be administered, by three of my siblings.

One of them is younger than me.:(

But tomorrow, I have to go into the solicitors to sign some forms.

I wouldn't mind but he's my cousin, and I don't know him all that well.

I can laugh about it with my siblings, because we used to hide behind the couch with each other on a school-day, after the parents had been on a heavy session, hoping that they'd be too worried about getting to work to drag us to school.

9.30 was the time when you knew you were safe and it was a day off for all.:D \o/ "Let's start shouting":pac:

Me sister would make flapjacks for us. (She loved having control of the kitchen. She was 11.) It's great having a sister whose the eldest.:pac:

Anyway, back on thread, I'm not looking forward to meeting my cousin, (although he's a nice bloke, some of his siblings are stuck-up cnuts) because it's just a bit humiliating.

I might ask me brother ( who has MS) to come with me.

Choco's brother (visiting me in the lock-up ward): " Here Choco. Do you know the way that Prof. O'Callaghan explained how you suffer from a rapid cyclical mood disorder?"

Choco: "Yeah?"

Choco's brother : "Does that mean when you're feeling suicidal it's a hostage situation?" :pac:

I couldn't have got through it without friends/siblings like that. Btw, I'm sure he plagiarised it. He's not as clever as me.:)

No! He's not.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Ain't it amazing the way mad people write?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

My mother was rapid-cycle manic-depressive (old parlance), and I'm considered an edge-case (not by me, by doctors), so I know what you're talking about. There's a lot of "Who should know what, when, how?", but the simplest answer is the hardest answer.
    You have to train yourself to not give a single fuuck about what somebody else thinks. You may or may not have (had) an epiphany about this (that can just as easily vanish into the darkness at times), but if you do, try to hold onto it.
    These people who barely know you, who you feel humiliated in front of, are exactly that: they barely know you.
    Stop caring about them if they don't care about you.
    If they do care about you, reciprocate at will.
    *bang-bang*--->reciprocation tank

For first use: see above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

My mam passed away a couple of months before Christmas. As some Boardsies will know, I suffer from a fairly serious episodic mental illness.

Anyway, I'm one of six children (although we're all adults now), and mam left what she had to be divided equally amongst the six of us.

But, because of my illness, my share has been left in trust (a sensible move) to be administered, by three of my siblings.

One of them is younger than me.:(

But tomorrow, I have to go into the solicitors to sign some forms.

I wouldn't mind but he's my cousin, and I don't know him all that well.

I can laugh about it with my siblings, because we used to hide behind the couch with each other on a school-day, after the parents had been on a heavy session, hoping that they'd be too worried about getting to work to drag us to school.

9.30 was the time when you knew you were safe and it was a day off for all.:D \o/ "Let's start shouting":pac:

Me sister would make flapjacks for us. (She loved having control of the kitchen. She was 11.) It's great having a sister whose the eldest.:pac:

Anyway, back on thread, I'm not looking forward to meeting my cousin, (although he's a nice bloke, some of his siblings are stuck-up cnuts) because it's just a bit humiliating.

I might ask me brother ( who has MS) to come with me.

Choco's brother (visiting me in the lock-up ward): " Here Choco. Do you know the way that Prof. O'Callaghan explained how you suffer from a rapid cyclical mood disorder?"

Choco: "Yeah?"

Choco's brother : "Does that mean when you're feeling suicidal it's a hostage situation?" :pac:

I couldn't have got through it without friends/siblings like that. Btw, I'm sure he plagiarised it. He's not as clever as me.:)

No! He's not.:mad:

Hey Choco,

I think you have chosen the wrong title for this thread to be fair to yourself here. I wouldn't call it humiliating, not in the slightest. If anything to me, it shows strength of character that you have :)

It's great when people 'get' you ain't it! as not everyone understands everyone they encounter, but family and people you trust to get close enough to know you, understand you and that's always nice.

Good Luck at the solicitors Choco, hope everything goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

grindle wrote: »
    My mother was rapid-cycle manic-depressive (old parlance), and I'm considered an edge-case (not by me, by doctors), so I know what you're talking about. There's a lot of "Who should know what, when, how?", but the simplest answer is the hardest answer.
    You have to train yourself to not give a single fuuck about what somebody else thinks. You may or may not have (had) an epiphany about this (that can just as easily vanish into the darkness at times), but if you do, try to hold onto it.
    These people who barely know you, who you feel humiliated in front of, are exactly that: they barely know you.
    Stop caring about them if they don't care about you.
    If they do care about you, reciprocate at will.
    *bang-bang*--->reciprocation tank

For first use: see above.

I understand what you're saying, but it's rather difficult not to give a fcuk about what the other person is saying, if that person has the right to lock you up, without any trial, any lawyer, any access to the Gardai, or any access to due process.

Try being sectioned.:pac:

And if you're lucky enough to be in the catchment area that my hospital was in, you should really try the lamb shanks. They're "only fcukin gorgo (first g hard, second g soft)". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Do you have to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I understand what you're saying, but it's rather difficult not to give a fcuk about what the other person is saying, if that person has the right to lock you up, without any trial, any lawyer, any access to the Gardai, or any access to due process.

Try being sectioned.:pac:

That person's not likely to do that without your guardian's say-so, and if they say so, it's probably in your best interest.
    Had to watch my mom get taken off like that many a time, and as harrowing as it was, it was always so she didn't end up drowning herself or overdosing, nothing malevolent on our part, obviously.
    Not that she saw it that way, of course.
    Focussing on practical thoughts rather than the impractical ones is pretty much the cornerstone of CBT, as that's the hardest pattern for the "mood-disordered" to break out of and remould.

Just don't let this small thing snowball, because that's how these things begin to envelop you.
    Try not to go to far the other way either though, full-on nihilist.
    Doesn't bode well for being personable when absolutely nothing matters, not even the nice things. Then you've got that empty feeling again. Focus on the positives, like your siblings, and the pleasure of having them in your life, and you in theirs. Corny but true.

I'd rather not do the hospital thing again, but I'm certainly not near the schizo-affective side my mother was on, so I hope not to taste delicious hospital food again for a long time.

Do you have to go?

Quite an ambiguous question there Chuck :pac:, so I shall answer it ambiguously:

a) Yes. I have to go to the solicitors.

b) *does best Steve Martin impression as Ruprecht* "May I go to the toilet?"

Michael Caine : "Yes you may"

Without getting up from the seat, *relief*, "Thank you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

myself and a few lads I worked with went for a few pints in swords after the night shift.. I got on the bus to head home to santry but fell asleep and ended up in town pennyless.

this being before the days of mobiles, I decided the best plan was to scab a pound off some rich folk who were heading into the abbey..

I felt like a total junkie.. "here bud, can you spare some change for my bus fare home"

They looked at me like filth..

Got my fare though

That person's not likely to do that without your guardian's say-so, and if they say so, it's probably in your best interest.
    Had to watch my mom get taken off like that many a time, and as harrowing as it was, it was always so she didn't end up drowning herself or overdosing, nothing malevolent on our part, obviously.
    Focussing on practical thoughts rather than the impractical ones is pretty much the cornerstone of CBT, as that's the hardest pattern for the "mood-disordered" to break out of and remould.

Just don't let this small thing snowball, because that's how these things begin to envelop you.
    Doesn't bode well for being personable when absolutely nothing matters, not even the nice things. Then you've got that empty feeling again. Focus on the positives, like your siblings, and the pleasure of having them in your life, and you in theirs. Corny but true.

I'd rather not do the hospital thing again, but I'm certainly not near the schizo-affective side my mother was on, so I hope not to taste delicious hospital food again for a long time.

Cheers man,

And thanks for your post. I posted in another thread to do with Sinead O'Connor. It's an awful illness, and it tends to affect the family, just as much as the patient.

Sorry about your mam. I hope you can forgive her for what she put the family through. As I said to Wibbs, in the Sinead O'Connor thread, I know that Carrie Fisher had an awful time of it for a number of years, but I believe she's much better now.

So, here's hopin'.

As me mam used to say, when it was lashin' down and the wind was howling," Well. Isn't it good that we're on the inside of the walls?" :pac:

Ended up in Blackrock Garda station one night, convinced that everybody was trying to do me wrong.

Set fire to the place, in my cell, using my clothing, in the hope that my trusty sidekick would see the smoke-signals and bust me out.

Fortunately, I was dealt with by excellent Gardai.

(Handcuffed to a table, "Will you not take a little sip of tay Choco? You don't look well.):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I agree with kerry4sam - terrible thread title. I read the OP three fecking times trying to find something which might be construed as humiliating. In the end I concluded that you're just a bit crazy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah Choco, thats not humiliating.

Humiliating is having to pick up a banana that was inside of a condom that was lying in an alley behind work in front of my psycho boss who had me cleaning the alley without wearing gloves.

The worst part was I knew who had "used" it as he had chased his girlfriend out of the shop I was working in with it in his hand waving it after her saying "I know where I'm putting this tonight"

F*ck you Gary you know who you are....

btw I didn't realise what it was at the start as there was lots of rubbish there and my brain had switched off and as soon as I did I ran to the nearest loo and cleaned the bejesus outta my hands. Had to buy my own gloves after that as she still wanted it cleaned.

Okay, sorry for bumping the thread, (it was the first thing that came up in an open window and I didn't want to start a new thread having already started two threads last night/this morning.

But, isn't "adjacent" a great word? And I don't just mean what it would score in Scrabble. I mean, if you were asking somebody for directions, and they told you that the place you were looking for was adjacent to another building/place, would you not feel a bit comforted?

It's a word that you could trust. A word that wouldn't rob you. A word that, yeah, I must have taken a wrong turn cos adjacent said it was just up here.

You could go on holiday for a week and leave adjacent in charge of either your kids or your pets, comfortable in the knowledge, that they'll be grand when you get home.

I'd say let's hear it for adjacent, if it weren't for the fact that it wouldn't like the limelight.

"Folly the road up there for about a half a mile (read five miles) and you'll come to a fork. Now, don't take the left fork, take the right. Then, go down to the crossroads.You can't miss it. There's a new shop down there that's lit up at night. Where Forkin's used to be. Turn right there, and the building you're looking for is almost adjacent to the library."

Squ wrote: »
    myself and a few lads I worked with went for a few pints in swords after the night shift.. I got on the bus to head home to santry but fell asleep and ended up in town pennyless.

this being before the days of mobiles, I decided the best plan was to scab a pound off some rich folk who were heading into the abbey..

I felt like a total junkie.. "here bud, can you spare some change for my bus fare home"

They looked at me like filth..

Got my fare though

Substitute Santry for any other destination. It's a rock we've all perished on mate. Glad to hear you managed to scab the bus-fare.
    It usually ends up with a head-down-furious (with yourself)-barging your way home.

Don't forget to start rummaging in your pants for your front door keys while you still have a good hour and a half walking in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I once wanted a Krispy Kreme so I had to ? :pac:

Advertisement