Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den

Options
  • 25-04-2012 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Is there a list online of what each dragon has invested in on the show and how much?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I dont think so but even if there was it wouldnt be a real guide to their investments as it would be only what they offered to invest on the show. Afterwards a lot of the deals fall through when it comes to the actual paper work and finer points of the business stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I got your back buddy :D

http://allaboutbusiness.ie/denlive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭enricoh

mate of mine was on a few years ago, approached a "dragon" a few months before the next series was being filmed and he told him to come on the show. went on the show, got snapped up by yer man, and a year later no dough and heaps of money wasted by my mate on reports, studies etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I also heard a story about people getting a deal on the show but never saw a penny due to ridiculous requests by the dragon in the months after.

Realistically though if you get on the show you'll probably have a good chance of finding finance/help in other places - for a smaller chunk of your business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You need to realise that the show has three purposes

Mainly to create advertising revenue for the station and profit for the production company

Secondly to provide the Dragons with a higher profile and exposure which results in various money making doors being opened to them

And lastly to give free advertising to the people pitching their products, startup companies getting prime time exposure free.

Offers and investments are pretty much irrelevant really, everyone gets what they want either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You've also got to remember that there was a certain Dragon whose accounts revealed him being pretty broke whilst participating in the show, it all came out during the Presidential election campaign that he was giving offers only for the deals to constantly to fall through after the show.

At the moment there is also another Dragon who is drastically over exposed to the property market and also has a ton of retail premises stuck in upward only rent reviews. He seems to make unrealistic offers for businesses, almost in the hope they get rejected.

It's been pretty poor this year IMO, Sean o Sullivan has about €100m burning a hole in his pocket and is wealthier than all other Dragons put together. But unfortunately he seems bored by the type of businesses pitching to him, it is all small scale stuff to him. I thought there would be far more technology pitches on it when it was announced he was the new Dragon but as yet it doesn't seem to be turning out that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

All the Dragons except for Sean are bluffers, The go pale when someone asks for anything over 30K, one is a coffee shop owner, one is sells magazines, one hires suits and the other gives consultations etc. Not exactly world dominating stuff!!! They are there for their ego's and free advertising for their business, Generally I see that if a person starts appearing on TV offering their wisdom then they themselves are in trouble, If they had a proper growing business then they would be too busy for TV, Aer Arrann owner is an example that comes to mind, The emperors have no clothes!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw a funny comment in the paper before this season's Den saying that the only thing the Dragon's seemed to invest in is their waistlines.

O Farrell is a typical smug business man who made a few pound renting out suits hardly awe inspiring yet he thinks he's a genius.
    Bobby Kerr seems alright, Duffy at least shows some genuine emotion and interest and yer wan 'Nuala seems okay too.
    That Sarah Newman took the biscuit, condescending snob who rarely invested, of course we all know now why but what a biaach.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

hey , my friend was watching this program and said there was someone on it that had an idea for plant pots that are attahed to decking - which i would love to see - but she can not remember any further information on it - it was the irish one - anyone remember seeing it and able to give me any infor ?
    thanks in advance
    clare

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This is their website Clare http://www.breezygardening.com/

The product was the plant holder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I'm am trying to organise a simular venture for a venue in Ireland so that new businesses/ products can showcase their products to investors for very little investment (a stand for 2 days, hopefully for less that 500euro)
    We will also provide ALL other supports needed for any start-up business such as access to: Banks for advice, IT and marketing experts, Enterprise Ire hopefully, enterprise boards, accountant and tax advice, patient and copyright experts all under one roof for 2 days.

A Dragons den for all of us and not just a choosen few.
    Also hoping that there will be funding available through various enterprise boards, enterprise Ire, etc to help out new start-up ventures.

Link for the post is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640679
    I will invite all past and present dragons along and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

Thanks a million axwell

Advertisement