Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Splitting Childs Primary Education between countries

• 25-04-2012 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    is it possible for a child to attend school in Ireland for say 1 month on, 1 month off, where the other month is spent at another primary school in another country ( Spain ). I have returned from Spain to Ireland to take up employment, my partner is not too hot on returning full time so I am looking for a compromise of sorts where she comes and goes. Our child is starting primary this September and am looking for appropriate options for her schooling.

All insights and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't think it's really workable, the child would keep missing a month's work in each school and then the other. If the child were older it might be easier, but I can't see it working. Schools may also not be keen on giving a place to a child that will not be there half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

It's very hard to see how it would work. I don't know how the teachers in Spain do their planning, but it's up to the individual teacher here to decide when and how to teach all parts of the curriculum. Your child could miss out on huge chunks of basic phonics, Maths etc if they miss a month at time, and there's no guarantee they'd be covered at the same time or level in Spain.

I know that to a lot of people it seems that there isn't much work done in infants, but from my point of view (teaching infants 10+ years), if children miss out on the foundation work we do at this stage, it makes it very difficult to catch up later on. The social skills that are taught and learned in school are as important as the academic side of things at this age.

If you do go down this line, I'd strongly urge you to get hold of a teacher's manual for the Jolly Phonics programme, and look up Jolly Phonics videos on youtube.

www.starfall.com is an amazing site for learning phonics and basic numeracy and reading skills. Most of the site is free, you can subscribe for a fairly small fee for the year to the other parts of the site, it's well worth it.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

For a junior infant I can't see it working. Just as a small example, I live in a rural area with 2 schools quite close to each other. My kids started reading, doing words etc after Halloween. Up to this they had been learning their letters and sounds. They are onto their 3rd JI reader.

I was talking to a parent from the other school recently and she said her daughter is struggling a bit, and as we got talking I realised in their school they have only started doing words and the 1st reader.

So that is 2 neighbouring schools with a huge variation in work. I think it would be almost impossible for a junior infant to be covering 2 schools, in 2 separate countries, with no continuity between the 2.

Also it might be hard for her socially to be popping in and out of the class. Social development is AS important,as academic development in Junior Infants.

Advertisement