Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheeler Professional Reticle Leveling System

• 25-04-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭

Technological advances in today's modern firearms, ammunition and optics have enhanced the potential for long range accuracy. However, precision mounting and alignment of your system's scope is critical to realizing the accuracy. A scope's reticle must be precisely aligned with the weapon to ensure holdover or turret adjustments for bullet drop produce true vertical compensation for point of impact. If the crosshairs are canted left or right both elevation and windage bullet impact error will occur.

The Wheeler Professional Reticle Leveling System is a precision tool and technique designed to allow a scope to be perfectly leveled on any firearm with ease. CNC machining, factory adjusted calibration set screws, anodized aluminum construction and protective molded case put this instrument in a class of its own.

The system is comprised of two machined aluminum level housings calibrated to their integrated levels. The Barrel Clamp Level is attached to the guns barrel while the smaller Reference Level is placed on scope base, bottom half of a ring or other flat surface perpendicular to the vertical axis of the gun. The gun is then rotated until the Reference Level is aligned. The tuning adjustment knob on the Barrel Clamp Level is then turned until its level is centered to match the Reference Level. At this point the Barrel Clamp Level is calibrated to the guns axis. The Scope can be installed loosely and the Reference Level placed on top of the scopes turret cap. The scope is rotated until the Reference Level is aligned with the Barrel Clamp Level and then simply secured in place. The Wheeler PRLS is the most effective instrument available for precision scope alignment.
    • Precision tool for scope reticle alignment Factory calibrated Reference Level
    • Maximize accuracy potential Tunable Barrel Clamp Level
    • CNC machined aluminum level housings Protective storage case

opplanet-wheeler-professional-reticle-leveling-system.jpg

Levels in use.jpg

Levels in use v2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭.243

would it not be easier to just use the "shoot the line" method,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

.243 wrote: »

What's that?

Glensman wrote: »

What's that?
    Basically you do this when you sight in your gun on paper,
    If you get a long sheet of paper and draw a line with a marker from top to bottom using a spirit level for a plumb line
    Near the bottom of the line you mark a crosshair
    Now,keeping the verticle line on your scope on the line on the paper you shoot a three shot group at 100yrds at the crosshair at the botton to make sure
    its shooting where it should be
    Now open your elevation cap and wind the scope up about 20 moa
    Still aiming at the crosshair at the bottom shoot another three shot group,if your group is off on either side of the verticle line on the page your scope is canted and your scope needs to be turned to get it level

Basically you do this when you sight in your gun on paper,
    If you get a long sheet of paper and draw a line with a marker from top to bottom using a spirit level for a plumb line
    Near the bottom of the line you mark a crosshair
    Now,keeping the verticle line on your scope on the line on the paper you shoot a three shot group at 100yrds at the crosshair at the botton to make sure
    its shooting where it should be
    Now open your elevation cap and wind the scope up about 20 moa
    Still aiming at the crosshair at the bottom shoot another three shot group,if your group is off on either side of the verticle line on the page your scope is canted and your scope needs to be turned to get it level

Never heard of this.
    I think I like it :)

Does anyone else use this method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Would that method not use a lot of ammo?
    Say if you were off and adjusted the scope then you would have to repeat the method.

I think it would be handier just mounting the scope using levels on action and top of scope

• Advertisement

dev110 wrote: »
    Would that method not use a lot of ammo?
    Say if you were off and adjusted the scope then you would have to repeat the method.
    nope,loosen the rings and look through the scope,then keeping the crosshair at the aiming point at the bottom of the page you cant your verticle scope line to where your three shot group is, re pinch your screws job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Never heard of this.
    I think I like it :)

Does anyone else use this method?

How to Square the Rifle Scopes Crosshairs to the Barrel’s Bore Center

http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2009/11/rifle-scope-set-up.html

Taget+with+groups.JPG

Scope adjustment note:
    Looking at the sample grouping you see the top group is to the right of the vertical target line. To adjust the scope and bring that group onto the vertical line you must rotate the scope clockwise (in the same direction of what appears to be the error) or what you think will make the error worse.
    I know this sounds strange but remember you have aimed and aligned the scope to a known perfect vertical position, it’s now the rifle that needs to pivot about the scopes perfect body location (like a pendulum) to correct or bring the bullet path (or barrel) directly vertical under the scopes crosshair center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

i use this small level attached to the picatinny rail to keep the gun level then from about 50 yards away with the ring screws loosened i line up the vertical part of the crosshairs with the corner of my house (which i have checked for level before) it takes all of about five minutes and the scope is bang on, i even like the little level that much that i kept it on the rail and i found it to be amazing how far off level i would hold the gun without it if i was shooting across a hill off the bipod

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370577635973?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

obviously the gun is never loaded when leveling the scope off the corner of my house

clivej wrote: »
    How to Square the Rifle Scopes Crosshairs to the Barrel’s Bore Center

http://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2009/11/rifle-scope-set-up.html

Scope adjustment note:
    Looking at the sample grouping you see the top group is to the right of the vertical target line. To adjust the scope and bring that group onto the vertical line you must rotate the scope clockwise (in the same direction of what appears to be the error) or what you think will make the error worse.
    I know this sounds strange but remember you have aimed and aligned the scope to a known perfect vertical position, it’s now the rifle that needs to pivot about the scopes perfect body location (like a pendulum) to correct or bring the bullet path (or barrel) directly vertical under the scopes crosshair center.

So does the gun have to be perfectly level for this to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

So does the gun have to be perfectly level for this to work?

I think the idea is to line the vertical cross hair up with a vertical drawn line on the target and fire off a couple of shots, after putting 20MOA of up in. Then your see if the reticle is out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I like that (shoot the line) method as the crosshair is often not in line with the turret movement. Turret movement is more important if one dials in drop.
    edi

Advertisement