Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plinking yay or nay !?

Options
  • 25-04-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey all , I have read a few threads on the mention of plinking, I have a .22lr and not really into killing anything I wouldnt eat..
    Does anyone when going out in the field with mates throw up a few targets and have the freedom of some good ol fashion plinkin' ? Besides target shooting at their club?, I know air rifles are great for it, just wondering does anyone do it?
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As officially 'One' can't target shoot outside of a range I tend to put up paper bull-eyes to 'check my zero'.

nod, nod, ;) , ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Davey34

Cheers Clive!, looking at the buzz the yanks have (e.g Hickok45
    jezz that guy enjoys his plinkin')... shame about the laws but they are the laws!,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    As officially 'One' can't target shoot outside of a range I tend to put up paper bull-eyes to 'check my zero'.

nod, nod, ;) , ;)

It is also worth pointing out that while the Minister at the time is on record as saying zeroing is ok, that has no legal weight behind it. It's not written into any Act. He just said it once. It's similar to when other Ministers say they will give you a world leading health care system or lower taxes.

There's a complete lack of proper definition in the legislation. Nothing there to distinguish zeroing from target shooting from plinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I recall correctly he said something along the lines of the act not being "intended" to prevent people zeroing on private land, which is another way of saying it's an unintended consequence. You can take it as go ahead, but I'd be a bit uncomfortable myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Plinking is just another way of saying target shooting, and anything that occurs outside of an authorised range is illegal.

IWM & Vegeta are correct in that the Minister did admit that it was a poor consequence of the Act, however with all his talk , and apologies he never amended or repealed it and so as it stands it is still illegal, and as such discussion of illegal activities is prohibited.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Here's how I answered it before:

IRLConor wrote: »
    The way I look at it, there's two ways to look at it:

Way 1 (the cautious way):
    There's no clear definition or guidance so the only really clear decision you're going to get is from a court and it's much more pleasant not to be the test case. Guidance from a Garda or solicitor/barrister would be nice, but at the end of the day, they're not going to pay the fine/do the time nor will they be much help at renewal time if you've been done for a breach of the law. Until some poor fecker goes to court for target shooting on an unauthorised range when he was zeroing his rifle, you won't know what the deal is.

Way 2 (the gamble):
    This is probably an "I don't like the look of that" or "I'll know it when I see it" law, so provided you a) don't annoy your local Gardai, b) don't annoy the landowners/adjacent landowners, c) do it on your own/with one or two friends on an unimproved piece of land and d) don't take the piss, you'll probably be fine. The more people shooting together, the more complicated the target/firing point setup, the more gizmos you have with you (chrono, wind flags, etc) the tougher case you're going to have.

Me, personally, I'm fairly conservative so I'd go with option 1. For those who decide to go with option 2, be careful and don't push your luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Also, shooting rifles at targets thrown up in the air is generally frowned on these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Also, shooting rifles at targets thrown up in the air is generally frowned on these days.
    Generally frowned on?? How bout the first rule of saftey 'know your backstop'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

surely he was joking? ;)

@ sandy; ...you were, weren't you? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think it's safe to say Sandy was taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I dont know sandy so i dont know! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

What's the act that says its illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Spunk84 wrote: »
    What's the act that says its illegal?

Criminal Justice Act 2006 as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

is there any rules laws that apply to shotguns and clays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

rgugliel wrote: »
    is there any rules laws that apply to shotguns and clays?

Clay pigeon shoots and clay piegon shooting are not classed as target shooting and fall oustide this law IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What about Plinking with a slingshot?

Nothing severe or antisocial, thinking along the lines of a Milbro of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think the phrase "thrown up" would be meant as in putting a target up, not in the air, just on a board.

Lads, he probably just means light 22lr rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

What do you mean "light 22lr rounds"?
    A .22lr will keep going for a mile and a half if fired at certain angles

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

dev110 wrote: »
    A .22lr will keep going for a mile and a half if fired at certain angles

Apparently not, a 22 will only travel 3/4 mile. They just doubled it up to stay on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Damn. I do so much enjoy tossing euro coins in the air and trying to hit them with the old 270 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    Apparently not, a 22 will only travel 3/4 mile. They just doubled it up to stay on the safe side.

So you are saying that it is ok to fire a .22 in the air because it will only go 3/4 mile instead of 1.5 miles? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Croppy Boy wrote: »

Are you from the mythbusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I can't remember where I read it and perhaps it's not true but I can understand if they're putting a warning on a product, they will overstate it to stay on the safe side.

And no, I wouldn't advocate shooting into the sky.;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Out of curiosity, I calculated some maximum distances with this: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdist-5.1.cgi

CCI Stinger 32gr @ 1640fps: 1517 yards
    Eley Tenex 40gr @ 1060fps: 1730 yards
    CCI Velocitor 40gr @ 1435fps: 1780 yards

Wind and temperature of course would change those numbers, as would the usual spread of muzzle velocities depending on the batch of the ammo and the length and condition of the barrel.

I also used this to calculate the energies at various distances along the maximum distance path. When the rounds finally came back down, they had between 3 and 5 foot pounds of energy which is enough to cause harm.

For the record i just want to put it out there that i was taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Tin Foil hat subject...

the more stupid questions are asked the more serious ones are brought to light..

'hdz

Advertisement