Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Speed

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have been having a problem with my broadband speed since last thursday, i upgraded from up to 3mb to up to 7mb, it was fine up till thursday, but things really started to go wrong on Sunday night when i done a speed test that came back as less than 1mb. It is grand during the day but come 6.00pm it is just brutal, I have 3 boys giving out every evening that they are been kicked out of nearly every game they get into on their PS3's. Their connection does be orange and then they get kicked, this has been happening since last thursday. That is the reason i upgraded up to 7mb in the first place. Have been on to broadband support,they have been very helpful, but there is nothing more they can do, we need our exchange upgraded to stop our speeds from falling when there are so many people on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

scoobyp wrote: »
    I have been having a problem with my broadband speed since last thursday, i upgraded from up to 3mb to up to 7mb, it was fine up till thursday, but things really started to go wrong on Sunday night when i done a speed test that came back as less than 1mb. It is grand during the day but come 6.00pm it is just brutal, I have 3 boys giving out every evening that they are been kicked out of nearly every game they get into on their PS3's. Their connection does be orange and then they get kicked, this has been happening since last thursday. That is the reason i upgraded up to 7mb in the first place. Have been on to broadband support,they have been very helpful, but there is nothing more they can do, we need our exchange upgraded to stop our speeds from falling when there are so many people on it.

Hi scoobyp and thanks for post,

Before you may need to call into eircom Broadband Support, try the following quick broadband check first:

Broadband Check

This will help Technical Support define where any broadband or non-eircom related issue may lie.

It is important to Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. If using your own private phone cable or equipment, temporarily replace this with eircom supplied Adsl (rj11) cable.

Remove the Adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Are you connecting wirelessly?
    • If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any local wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.
    Completing the Checklist (above) will ensure that you have tested the modem as advised by Technical Support. If you still need to call eircom Technical Support after this, please see contact information below.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, PM me with your case id (reference) and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scoobyp

Hi Ant,

I have done the above, even checked with the yellow cable on Sunday night, when asked to by one of the guys in tech support, it still came in at under 1mb. The connection isn't to bad till 6pm when it goes downhill, during the day it might go below 4mb, once or twice, but after 6pm it's brutal. The support guys reckon it could be congestion, but it was grand till last thursday, when my boys started are getting kicked from games on the PS3 again, i upgraded so that would stop happening as it was with the 3mb i was on before.

Any chance of you guys upgrading the exchange so we can get NGB, that is supposed to be non congested

Hi Ant,

I have done the above, even checked with the yellow cable on Sunday night, when asked to by one of the guys in tech support, it still came in at under 1mb. The connection isn't to bad till 6pm when it goes downhill, during the day it might go below 4mb, once or twice, but after 6pm it's brutal. The support guys reckon it could be congestion, but it was grand till last thursday, when my boys started are getting kicked from games on the PS3 again, i upgraded so that would stop happening as it was with the 3mb i was on before.

Any chance of you guys upgrading the exchange so we can get NGB, that is supposed to be non congested

Thanks again,

Would it be possible to shut down your games consoles (PS3, etc.) when you are testing your broadband. Just connect one computer device. Temporarily shut down (completely) all other computer devices while you're testing. Connect the one computer as advised on our broadband checklist below:

Broadband Check

This will isolate the connection and help Technical Support define where any broadband or non-eircom related issue may lie.

It is important to Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment (including PS3 or other computer devices). Connect the modem direct to the master phonesocket. Remove any equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. If using your own private phone cable or equipment, temporarily replace this with eircom supplied Adsl (rj11) cable.

Remove the Adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable, if possible. This would eliminate any local wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Shut down if possible all applications that may be running in the back ground on your computer. That is: anti-virus, firewall(s) and other software programmes. Some of these applications may still run on your computer, even when you disable them. It is important therefore to try to exit or shut down these programmes when testing your broadband.

Try to test your broadband speed again, when you have isolated your broadband connection as advised above. If your broadband is fine during this test, then you will know that your problem is not related to your broadband and is related to your applications or your other computer devices (e.g: games console).

If you still need to call eircom Technical Support after completing the above checks, please see contact information below.

Once you have completed these steps and if you're still having a slow speed issue, then call into Technical Support. They are open after 6pm and will be able to check your broadband with you. They will measure your current broadband sync, as well as check your modem connection at the specific time. They will then compare the connection over the Auth(entication) servers at the same time. If necessary, they will be able to log in remotely to your modem. They will also be able to run some spyware checks on your computer system. If necessary they will escalate your broadband line to an eircom engineering crew, who inturn will be able to repair any eircom related fault on your broadband.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Also, PM me with your case id (reference) so I can follow this up with Technical Support.

Regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scoobyp

Hi Ant,

Thanks for your reply.
    I have done all of the above.
    My boys can play their Ps3's all day until 6pm then the speed goes down, they do not have any problems with speed falling until 6pm onwards.
    I have done speed tests from 6pm onwards and it goes up and down, the most it gets up to could be 5mb and gets down to 0.33mb.
    I was on to tech support last night and he said it was showing that we had an intermitant problem,.
    Hope you's can soon fix it, getting pretty fed up of it now.

Hi Ant,

Thanks for your reply.
    My boys can play their Ps3's all day until 6pm then the speed goes down, they do not have any problems with speed falling until 6pm onwards.
    I have done speed tests from 6pm onwards and it goes up and down, the most it gets up to could be 5mb and gets down to 0.33mb.
    I was on to tech support last night and he said it was showing that we had an intermitant problem,.

Good to hear you've got on to Tech Support.

Once they have escalated this, then the engineers will confirm where any fault lies.
    As said before, it is so important that you test your connection on just one computer - (and shut down all other devices games consoles and applications).

This will save a lot of time and also ensure you are not responsible if this is a non-eircom issue. Often, a peak connection at a specific time will indicate there is some internal wiring or even spyware /trojan issue that is responsible for the peak. If the latter, this is considered a non-eircom issue.

Once escalated engineers will be able to confirm where any issue lies.

Let me know your case ID and I will follow up your escalation with Technical Support.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Ant,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your case id.

I see your case is now logged and engineers have been working on your broadband phoneline.

If you need an update anytime up to 10pm, just give Techncal Support a call.

Let me know if you if your broadband has improved after they have completed their works.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement