Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do ye think, good or bad?

• 25-04-2012 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I came across this news article and my heart sank !

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mad-cow-disease-found-in-california-20120425-1xkan.html

then I was wondering.. maybe this could be good for Irish beef exports?? Or does it just bring the whole damn thing back to the surface... just when prices were good :mad:

I particularly didn't mention the topic in the subject so not to attract the attention of the veggie munching do-gooder crowd :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

bbam wrote: »
    I came across this news article and my heart sank !

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mad-cow-disease-found-in-california-20120425-1xkan.html

then I was wondering.. maybe this could be good for Irish beef exports?? Or does it just bring the whole damn thing back to the surface... just when prices were good :mad:

I particularly didn't mention the topic in the subject so not to attract the attention of the veggie munching do-gooder crowd :rolleyes:
    I might actually believe the lad on the video if the US had active survailence. A friend working over there in the industry reckons that it is well underreported as there is no checking of downer cows and little sampling of dead stock. And prectically no traceability.

On the plus side, it is an uncommon type so the chances of it being feed related is low and more likely to be random, if i remember the sciencey bit correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

what did that report say - 200 people worldwide in 30 odd years have died from the human varient

With billions of people eating beef annually the odds are ridiculously low

Its a publicity stunt to bring down the price - again. this should even be making the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Just waiting for the troll to be along anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Tipp Man wrote: »
    what did that report say - 200 people worldwide in 30 odd years have died from the human varient

With billions of people eating beef annually the odds are ridiculously low

Its a publicity stunt to bring down the price - again. this should even be making the news

Remember when the this whole fiasco first broke. The RTE nine o clock news, had a video of an old friesian cow with the disease, staggering around a dirty yard. They played the same video over, end over again, for about three years:(
    But, hey as we all know, nothing like RTE to get to the truth:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

5live wrote: »
    On the plus side, it is an uncommon type so the chances of it being feed related is low and more likely to be random, if i remember the sciencey bit correctly

I think you're fully correct there 5live, and if what they are saying is true, this is atypical form & is not feed related, but our own experience showed that it doesn't matter much about the "sciencey bit" once the media get a hold of it. Hype will take over, especially if its a slow news week.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Remember when the this whole fiasco first broke. The RTE nine o clock news, had a video of an old friesian cow with the disease, staggering around a dirty yard. They played the same video over, end over again, for about three years:(
    But, hey as we all know, nothing like RTE to get to the truth:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mother of god !
    That clip is burned into the back of my mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

bbam wrote: »
    Mother of god !
    That clip is burned into the back of my mind..

I often wondered why nobody ever complained to the Broadcasting Complaints Authority about that clip - it was really sabotage of an industry.

Then again, I didn't do anything about it! Very Irish of me - somebody should complain about that......

Advertisement