Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street drugs for dying patients.

• 25-04-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

Recent studies at Harvard, U.C.L.A. and my alma mater John Hopkins have now made it plain that doctors should—as soon as proper safeguards can be put in place—be free to offer illicit drugs to patients who are terminally ill, in order to ease their emotional suffering and potentially offer them new perspectives—fueled by drug-induced insights—into issues like their own mortality.
    - Doctors Consider Using Street Drugs To Ease Suffering of Dying Patients (Fox News)

Thought this was interesting. I'm pretty sure it can't be anything but positive, although might make it more difficult for family members to come to terms with the prognosis as they may have difficulty comprehending why their dying family member is silently raving in bed.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The best stuff is all prescription anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I were terminal I'd be straight out for some H. May as well enjoy the last few weeks of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

In all fairness if someone i loved and cared about was dying and in pain i woudln't give a f*ck if they were buzzing on whatever as long as they were comfortable.

I mean morphine is used in hospitals at the minute why not mdma or LSD? Even weed has been recognised to help patients with aids and cancer to help appetite and also nausea caused by treatments.

And i'm not saying chuck a handful of yokes down their throat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I would take so many nureofen

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

I've always said when I'm old, pissing and s_hitting myself I want to go out with a Bang. Get me a nice piece of gear, some nice Yokes, preferably Mitzi's and as much Special K as one can find.

I do not intend to spend my last years, days, month's on this planet by using traditional methods. Drugs and proper drugs aplenty for me at that stage in my life. At least you will be smiling at all the **** you would and probably will have to put up with.

Don't see the problem TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Coming down off Acid or E might not to too pleasant if you were terminally ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's what the coke & hookers are there for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i've never had an unpleasant comedown from them but then again i've not yet had them on my deathbed. the inventor of LSD actually requested to be injected with some LSD as he was about to pop it. Nice way to go out I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I wouldn't mind some poor craythur growing a few plants at home but a lot of the other drugs have been stuck up somebodies hole and might be bad for a weakened immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

danniemcq wrote: »

why not mdma or LSD?

They might have a bad trip if they knew they had only a few hours left to live:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

They might have a bad trip if they knew they had only a few hours left to live:D

One huge panic attack. Heart explodes. I would recommend speed.
    Ahh those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I ever get cancer the first think i'm doing is getting a pound of weed and a bad of yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pussy

Don't get any on the streets of Ireland. Pure shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Morphine is a pain killer too though is it not?

My mam got some pot when she found out she had cancer. I don't think she ever used it though. Not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nephinbeg

Be interested to see how it would work. Would a Doctor "prescribe" LSD or psilocybin to a patient with terminal cancer on their deathbed? When there is a strong link between negative emotional state and the heightened chance of a bad trip, is that a good idea?

The article seems to talk a lot about anxiety, which there are already a lot of drugs for, many with large potentials for abuse. I'd be interested to know if there are any studies carried out comparing the illicit drugs to the conventional ones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Coming down off 'street' drugs and being faced with the grim reality that you're still dying..

I think I'd stick with the prescription, thanks.

xzanti wrote: »
    Coming down off 'street' drugs and being faced with the grim reality that you're still dying..

i don't know why they're using the term 'street' drugs - if they want to use LSD or MDMA or such like for patients it's entirely possible to produce highly pure doses. and if most people were more in touch with reality they'd realise that if you know what you're at you can get fairly pure stuff off the street.

Pfft, with MDMA the comedown isn't til 3 or 4 days later, just stay on it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

'Street drugs' have been tested by the population over time. Better to give them that than, for instance, a legal, untested anti flu jab that causes narcolepsy

They will never legalise 'street drugs', but they will recommend crap that the pharmaceutical companies tell them to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

if i as dying and in pain id be on a mixture of morphine, MDMA :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Given the unknown shíte that could be in street drugs and the fact that a dying person is likely on a large amount of medication that has to be carefully balanced, sounds like a bad idea.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Given the unknown shíte that could be in street drugs and the fact that a dying person is likely on a large amount of medication that has to be carefully balanced, sounds like a bad idea.

If regulated, there would be no unknown **** cut with it.

The patient is dying anyway.....can they not have a bit of comfort?

A family member of mine suffering from cancer was given cannabis before he died. Doctors turned a blind eye to it. What was interesting was, after he smoked, he felt great sat up in bed and ate a fry. He died later that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm kind of glad I wasn't one of the 'Lucky ones' that didn't get bad comedowns from E's. At the time I was jealous of those fcukers but in hindsight the comedowns are probably why I never became more than just an occasional user.

Sounded like a good idea on first reading but one does forget about things like that.

I think Heroin would be the drug with the least downsides for a terminal patient with the least negative implications of keeping the high going till the end...which I guess explains why Morphone is the drug of choice for terminal patients. Are the effects of morphone and heroin the same or is Heroin more intense or something?

the fact that a dying person is likely on a large amount of medication that has to be carefully balanced, sounds like a bad idea.

It's like the guy in The Simpsons with his medical marijuana, without it he could go even blinder!

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm kind of glad I wasn't one of the 'Lucky ones' that didn't get bad comedowns from E's. At the time I was jealous of those fcukers but in hindsight the comedowns are probably why I never became more than just an occasional user.

I know plenty of people who don't get bad comedowns yet aren't addicts or heavy users. Waking up the next day all happy and stretchy ya don't want more, and it's not because ya feel bad. :pac:

If i was dying there would be no question about it. Give me whatever it takes to make it easier. There would be no comedowm for me cos i would keep pumping it into me. I have never taken illegal drugs before.

Calibos wrote: »
    Are the effects of morphone and heroin the same or is Heroin more intense or something?

essentially yes. heroin is di-acetyl-morphine, basically morphine with two small functional groups converted to more lipophilic groups which means heroin will cross the blood-brain barrier much more effectively than morphine resulting in a bigger rush. so yeah, more intense morphine as you said.

doctors in the UK can prescribe heroin for chronic pain sufferers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Seachmall wrote: »
    -... (Fox News) ... Thought this was interesting. ... Opinions?
    Utter rubbish, a new low for AH. Just look at the source. If it appeared on The Simpsons or Family Guy it would have more credibility ... "And this is Kent Brockman signing off from After Hours, hometown of Grandpa Simpson ..." also owned by 21st Century Fox ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Who said anything about coming down? :D What would be the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭grinder23

A family member of mine was given cannabis before he died. Doctors turned a blind eye to it. What was interesting was, after he smoked, he felt great sat up in bed and ate a fry. He died later that day.

so you're saying weed killed your family member or was it the mushrooms from the fry

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

A double dose of LSD to prepare the spirit for the journey.
    Helps to let go of the ego. Helps with acceptence.
    Morphine is to mask the pain, LSD goes through the pain.
    Piece of mind and clarity with LSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A double dose of LSD to prepare the spirit for the journey.
    Helps to let go of the ego. Helps with acceptence.
    Morphine is to mask the pain, LSD goes through the pain.
    Piece of mind and clarity with LSD.

And ecstasy for the patient and family members so they can have a thorough heartfelt conversation and say their goodbyes.

grinder23 wrote: »
    so you're saying weed killed your family member or was it the mushrooms from the fry

Forgot to mention, it was cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I'm all for euthanasia, don't care if the drugs are legal or not. I think we should be allowed to formally make this decision while we are healthy. It would save families a lot of anguish when a loved one is dying, on life support or when asked to make a decision on whether to resuscitate or not. Anyone who has watched a loved one suffer will emphatise with this.

Or course, prolifers and christians can choose to opt out. God loves martyrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

grinder23 wrote: »

I know it was given as a cause of Bob Marley's lung cancer which did kill him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But if your dying, why come down? Rather than spending your days baffled/confused/in mortal agony/covered in your own feces & urine...why not stay on cloud nine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you're dying anyway why would you feel the need to come down? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Albert Hofmann a Swiss scientist who was the first person to synthesis and ingest LSD.
    He died at the age of 102, hours before he died he dropped some LSD.
    He called LSD "Medicine of the soul".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

44leto wrote: »

Bob Marley died from melanoma of his big toe.

• Advertisement

Bob Marley died from melanoma of his big toe.

But his addiction to smoking was a factor in spreading it to his lungs, I was only reading about it in connection to a new film about him "marley".

I don't fully know a lot about him to be honest, so maybe.

Albert Hofmann a Swiss scientist who was the first person to synthesis and ingest LSD.
    He died at the age of 102, hours before he died he dropped some LSD.
    He called LSD "Medicine of the soul".

See he could have been still alive if it wasn't for those darn drugs.

LSD the penicillin of the soul as psychiatrists referred to it before the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

But his addiction to smoking was a factor in spreading it to his lungs, I was only reading about it in connection to a new film about him "marley".

I don't fully know a lot about him to be honest, so maybe.

I believe refusing to have his toe amputated was the major factor in its metastasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

kylith wrote: »
    If I were terminal I'd be straight out for some H. May as well enjoy the last few weeks of life.

You do.. well, plenty of Morphine, first hand experience of this, sadly. The little motorised pumps, in the thigh, whirring away, every so often.. :(

Bob Marley

Cause of death: Cancer - Brain

micropig wrote: »
    Bob Marley

Cause of death: Cancer - Brain

But if you google Bob Marley and lung you get he died of Lung cancer.

I only know about his music and nothing about him, so you probably know more then I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Street drugs makes it sound so seedy, as if they are buying them off some dealer, but FOX news needs that angle. MDMA has been used by doctors to treat people who are dying or dealing with PTSD. I would love to see it as an option for people who are dying, this is one of the most frightening things anyone will ever face. Anything that can ease that journey has to be a good thing.

Advertisement