Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six years for IRA man who extorted €260,000 from chip shop owner

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dlofnep wrote: »
    Real IRA are not the provos any more.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe the "Freedom Fighter" was saving up for a new shine-o ball-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

This thread reads like Mark Lawrenson has gone into serious news reporting.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

mikom wrote: »
    All the hallmarks of the Provisional Fry.R.A

No No, he has already said its was the rEEL IRA !

So the poor fella got BATTERED on his own doorstep? Got a CHIPped tooth?

Terrible, (the wise cracks that is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Real IRA are not the provos.
    I had a feeling someone would be on to correct me.

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

fyp

No, you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Real IRA are not the provos.
    If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

You get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

KeithAFC wrote: »

You get the idea.

Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

salt and batter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You get the idea.
    Me bollix. The entire Orange Order may look and sound like proud protestants, but that doesn't mean they are all members of the Red Hand Commandos... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kincsem wrote: »
    A-salt and batter-y

FYP;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Hur-d-hur. In the 90's, most Dublin pubs, nightclubs and fast food outlets were paying off these gangsters - I'm out of that scene a fair while so I've no idea if it still goes on(ffs of course it does) but if you own a business and some headbanger walks in and announces that you have to hand over a grand a week, over it goes. If you miss, you get beaten, there are fires, expensive windows get broken a lot. Not too funny if you are the recipient and there are some seriously bitter, twisted individuals involved. My sympathy to the business owner and fair dues for having the(serious)balls to go to plod, and congrats for picking the right plod to go to as opposed to a "sympathiser" who would brush it under the carpet. Oh yeah, and yer man will be out in 3, 2 1/2 if he's good. And fish boys life will be a misery. There must be an awful lot of young people here on boards, them and those with short memories. "Donation for the cause" it used to be called...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Shop I worked in during the 90's in the inner city had to pay protection money every week to the local gangster,then the local gangsters protection racket was taken over by the IRA and they charged 4x what the other lad used to.If you were a day late with the money they'd sound round the heavies to break all the shop windows or pour petrol all over the shop and threaten to burn the place down.

The owner at the time was at her wits end so she just closed up at the end of one week and never opened again,no way you'd dare stand up to them lads on you own,fair play for the chipper owner for having the guts to go the Gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

[
    QUOTE=CJC999;78328257]Real IRA are actually Provos who are just more retarded that than other provos and had to go out on their own due to their sheer stupidity. They can be recognised by the tatoos of men and guns on their chest/backs/arse.

When they were dreaming up their name in their tree house they decided on the name 'The Real Angry IRA' but none of them knew how to spell Angry and so they shortened it to the Real IRA.[/QUOTE]

tattoos FFS....if you're going to carp (hahaha...CARP) about spelling then at least get your own correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Shop I worked in during the 90's in the inner city had to pay protection money every week to the local gangster,then the local gangsters protection racket was taken over by the IRA and they charged 4x what the other lad used to.If you were a day late with the money they'd sound round the heavies to break all the shop windows or pour petrol all over the shop and threaten to burn the place down.

The owner at the time was at her wits end so she just closed up at the end of one week and never opened again,no way you'd dare stand up to them lads on you own,fair play for the chipper owner for having the guts to go the Gardai.

Did they show you their Tattoos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You get the idea.

Fish, ducks, and Keith swanning in with his usual remarks. This thread has it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

This is the ugly, little pea headed face of modern 'IRA'. Albeit with big arms.. scangers just dont suit the cause. if he was the brains of the operation, there must have been no-one else involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Seachmall wrote: »
    1. The guy who owned the chipper borrowed money from a loan shark.
    2. The loan shark sold his debt to the Real IRA.
    3. The Real IRA used the profit to get tattoos done.
    It was a pun..... and a bad one like the rest........ shark as in fish ?
    oh forget it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

LH Pathe wrote: »
    This is the ugly, little pea headed face of modern 'IRA'. Albeit with big arms.. scangers just dont suit the cause. if he was the brains of the operation, there must have been no-one else involved

I'm surprised he pleaded guilty to IRA membership tbh. I assumed it would have been a one man operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

micropig wrote: »
    Did they show you their Tattoos?
    You bought one of them Vietnamese Pot bellied pigs, didn't you? Ha. Easy to mouth off when you live in the ar5e of nowhere and the only racket you will ever know is chips and a coke in Rackett hall on the way home from the "big schmoke". Try dealing with them, then come back. I'd say they'd make bacon of ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Seachmall wrote: »

That's actually a vibrator. Look it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

Ah sure there's a "ray" of hope in this whole saga. The whiting's on the wall for that loan-"shark". The "bass"stard is in the lockup and I think that's "brill". I know a tough lad inside...Macker is his name and Mackerel sort him out. Feel sorry for yer man though handing over cash to the tuna 260 thousand squid. But then I suppose there's one prawn every minute.

D'ya want fries wit dat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what's the story with yer man keeping €500 for himself ?

And will he have a chip on his shoulder when he gets released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

Get some tats and people give you money.I can see this catching on:P

kylith wrote: »
    As far as I know they're much less likely to a) charge you many times what you borrowed* and b) break your legs.

*The alleged loan was for €30,000, and he paid this 'RA man €264,000 - eight times the amount borrowed.

Lads you would believe anything:D
    IT is a VAT Income tax scam...Are ye all in the Gardai or what?:D:D
    The tatoos did it your worship.
    Was there any bowl movement from the trauma of the exposed tatoos

LH Pathe wrote: »
    He reminds me of the Short Strand Slasher Gang,the same inbred vacant face and mean little eyes.I will look for pictures! You will do some laughing at this crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mikom wrote: »
    All the hallmarks of the Provisional Fry.R.A
    Pottler wrote: »
    Hur-d-hur. In the 90's, most Dublin pubs, nightclubs and fast food outlets were paying off these gangsters - I'm out of that scene a fair while so I've no idea if it still goes on(ffs of course it does) but if you own a business and some headbanger walks in and announces that you have to hand over a grand a week, over it goes. If you miss, you get beaten, there are fires, expensive windows get broken a lot. Not too funny if you are the recipient and there are some seriously bitter, twisted individuals involved. My sympathy to the business owner and fair dues for having the(serious)balls to go to plod, and congrats for picking the right plod to go to as opposed to a "sympathiser" who would brush it under the carpet. Oh yeah, and yer man will be out in 3, 2 1/2 if he's good. And fish boys life will be a misery. There must be an awful lot of young people here on boards, them and those with short memories. "Donation for the cause" it used to be called...

bit of a downer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Feel sorry for the chipper guy .... but he should have got a garoupa his mates together and taught that shark a lesson before the net closed in. That might have stopped the s'hake downs earlier.

If it is not a tax scam.
    The first question a normal person would ask is "Which grouping"

Pottler wrote: »

Could non of the victims travel to Parnell Square?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Well, the good thing is RIRA man has 6 years to mullet over.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

..... and 'eel be a quieter man when he gets out!:D

The judge should order an IQ test and when the results come with a score in the High Sixties,sentence him to community service.

Give him a balaclava with Official Collector written on it.
    Tell him that he is the head of Ranelagh IRA (RIRA) or Rubbish IRA? and let him clear up empty chip bags and rubbish.
    You can put him in charge of a few other Walter Mittys and free some prison cells and psychiatric beds.

Have some Official looking (psychiatric nurse) tell him that the Brits are dropping rubbish from UFOs trying to wipe Ireland off the map and it is his job to save us;)

This could work country wide.
    What do you think?

Advertisement