Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault's Shocking E.V Offer!!!

Options
  • 25-04-2012 10:47am

Press Release

25 April 2012

Renault announce attractive EV Offer - 2 years free battery rental, 5 years unlimited warranty

Extended Test Drives Announced – experience Renault Z.E for up to one month and only pay for your charging

Renault has announced an attractive launch offer for the Fluence Z.E. and Kangoo Z.E. including two years free battery rental and a five year unlimited mileage warranty. Customers who purchase a Renault Z.E. will also have a free wall box fitted at their home or place of work, your own personal fuel station.

The Fluence Z.E. Expression is retailing from €21,610 and the Fluence Z.E. Dynamique version will start at €22,710, approximately the same as the Fluence Diesel (with government incentive of €5,000). The battery rental starts from €82 (Including VAT) a month Two years free battery rental can save a customer up to €2,300.

The Kangoo Z.E has three versions available in Ireland:
    Kangoo Z.E.: price is €16,400 (ex. VAT and including €3,800 Government grant) and battery rental €75 per month (ex. VAT, for a contract of 4 years and mileage of 15.000 km)
    Kangoo Maxi Z.E. 2 seats: price is €17,600 (ex. VAT and including €3,800 Government grant) and battery rental €75 per month (ex. VAT, for a contract of 4 years and mileage of 15.000 km)
    Kangoo Z.E. Maxi 5 seats: price is €18,200 (ex. VAT and including €3,800 Government grant) and battery rental €75 per month (ex. VAT, for a contract of 4 years and mileage of 15.000 km)

Renault has also launched a new Extended Test Drive Trial, where those interested in purchasing an EV, commercial or passenger, can test-drive the Fluence Z.E. or Kangoo Z.E. for up to one month extended test drive from local dealerships. At the end of the trial, the customer will have the choice to either purchase an Electric Vehicle with 2 Years FREE Battery Rental and 5 years unlimited mileage warranty, or hand back the vehicle to the Dealer.

This fantastic offer is designed to allow potential customers to experience the superior driving pleasure of Renault electric vehicles first hand.

The offer is available for a limited period. Interested customers can contact their local Renault Dealership for further information.

Customers who purchase a Renault electric vehicle will get a free wall box, your fuel station at home, fitted free of charge by the ESB, giving you a further saving of €1,000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're obviously desperate to drum up a few sales. EVs not selling well, who'd have thought it:pac:?

Wow anyone who purchases a Kango or Fluence will save a fortune compared to petrol or Diesel!

How can they afford to loose this much money ? Or is this a sign that batteries are not costing as much as we thought ?

It's an incredibly brave move, by Renault!

I just hope they apply this offer to Zoe as it would be the better electric car and charge faster from an e.s.b charge point. 1 hr currently and 30 mins to 80% once they upgrade the chargers which is in progress!

They're obviously desperate to drum up a few sales. EVs not selling well, who'd have thought it:pac:?

Either that or as I say, batteries have come down, that will cost them untold losses if batteries have NOT come down in price!

Now if they only had quick drop services at every Renault dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

While reading any EV thread on here, you would swear most people are completely against EV's. What I will say though is, since I started posting my experiences of EV ownership since April last year, I have received many private messages from people who are very interested in purchasing an EV, but not 100% sure yet.

This is just my opinion, but from talking to people in the street and on Boards, I would say there is a huge interest in owning EV's. There is an initial obstacle to overcome which is that the technology is new to the consumer and people just need a little reassurance and a little more information. This is what Renault are trying to do and I hope the succeed!

OSI wrote: »
    I would be pretty sure this is a loss making exercise and is purely designed to get these cars out on to the road and to start changing the public's perception of electric cars.

I'm intrigued by the one-month test drive though. There has to be some kind for catch here, surely you would have to pay a hefty deposit or something?

No Idea, but I would pay something for the experience for a month! :D

Can't deny it's a good offer, but I wonder are there mileage restrictions ?

Over 2 years you could save a hefty sum of money, if of course, you are going to be buying a new car in the first place, Just think if a lot of people take up the offer how cheap you can get an E.V in a few years! :D

• Advertisement

While reading any EV thread on here, you would swear most people are completely against EV's. What I will say though is, since I started posting my experiences of EV ownership since April last year, I have received many private messages from people who are very interested in purchasing an EV, but not 100% sure yet.

This is just my opinion, but from talking to people in the street and on Boards, I would say there is a huge interest in owning EV's. There is an initial obstacle to overcome which is that the technology is new to the consumer and people just need a little reassurance and a little more information. This is what Renault are trying to do and I hope the succeed!

Well said!

But they will have to succeed by the sounds of that offer!

I would have an e.v in the morning if I could afford it!

BTW how many kms have you on the Leaf now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have this image after reading the OP of Renault taking a leaf from Ol' Gill's book of desparation :

gil2.jpg

Well said!

But they will have to succeed by the sounds of that offer!

I would have an e.v in the morning if I could afford it!

BTW how many kms have you on the Leaf now ?

24,500 and just had my first service. Will be starting a thread on it soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the story with battery rental?

If you purchase a car you still have to pay €82 a month in rental? I know its free with this offer.

So you dont actually own the battery?

24,500 and just had my first service. Will be starting a thread on it soon.

What servicing do they need to do on it ?

How long have you had it now ? Do you notice any reduced range ? I would hardly think you have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yep, you rent the battery from Renault. The idea being that when the battery needs to be replaced (and it will), you don't have to fork out the several grand it's going to cost to replace it.

Like Soda Stream.

It sort of makes sense. But the cost of rental is higher than the cost of the battery?

Owen wrote: »
    I have this image after reading the OP of Renault taking a leaf from Ol' Gill's book of desparation :

gil2.jpg

people are sceptical of new technology. And most people think they need an electric car with 300 miles range when they rarely need more than 50 a day.

Fine if they want to carry around a very expensive battery for the times they "think" they need it. As I keep saying faster charging is far more important than 300 miles range!

Or keep paying for petrol and diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would never have really considered an EV, mainly due to price and lack of charging points, but I was listening to the head of Nissan Ireland on radio yesterday, and he got me thinking.

Technology is improving, and the running costs he gave sounded very attractive. He mentioned that the range of the battery is now suitable for 80% of motorists. It would certainly suit my daily commute so my interest gained a little momentum, until he said a Leaf costs €30k. For me that's out of reach.

I look forward to reducing prices in the future as I would certainly consider an EV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yep, you rent the battery from Renault. The idea being that when the battery needs to be replaced (and it will), you don't have to fork out the several grand it's going to cost to replace it.

I assumed that they would needing replacing but didnt think it would be that expensive!

How long do they expect a battery to last?

I would be in favor of getting a EV but couldn't afford it at the moment. I have a diesel that I use for long commutes and the wife uses as part of her daily commute (10K in 3 months) and think that an EV would suit us down to the ground for a second car.

Currently selling our second car as I'll be getting a work one but again if I had a choice and could afford it i'd go for an EV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sounds like a good deal, restores the savings lost on the battery rental. The extended rental would be fun but I can't do it even if I wanted to - living in an apartment would mean cables draped out the window. Hardly practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Customers who purchase a Renault electric vehicle will get a free wall box, your fuel station at home, fitted free of charge by the ESB, giving you a further saving of €1,000.

Interesting offer.........def worth thinking about..........

Hold on - you mean the car heretofore did not include a method of charging at home - and you needed to fork out another €1k ??

So, how would you charge it at work, as-is ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't like the idea of paying €22k - €30k for a car, then having to pay 80 odd every month for a battery. This is another thing that will put prospective buyers off.

godtabh wrote: »
    What's the story with battery rental?

If you purchase a car you still have to pay €82 a month in rental? I know its free with this offer.

So you dont actually own the battery?

Yes after the offer you would pay 82 a month for I think 10,000 miles a year ? not sure. But trust me, it works out about the same as getting a real 55mpg tank of diesel, so it won't cost you more than a normal diesel 55 mpg car in the end.

But most people won't get 55 mpg by the time they drive through Dublin or any other town, or for people who do school runs every day, So in reality you would probably save. You would without doubt save a lot of money over the 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of paying €22k - €30k for a car, then having to pay 80 odd every month for a battery. This is another thing that will put prospective buyers off.

....especially when I'm only doing small mileage....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I would never have really considered an EV, mainly due to price and lack of charging points, but I was listening to the head of Nissan Ireland on radio yesterday, and he got me thinking.

Technology is improving, and the running costs he gave sounded very attractive. He mentioned that the range of the battery is now suitable for 80% of motorists. It would certainly suit my daily commute so my interest gained a little momentum, until he said a Leaf costs €30k. For me that's out of reach.

I look forward to reducing prices in the future as I would certainly consider an EV.

It must have been a while ago? The Leaf currently costs 25k

199214.jpg

See my thread on the topic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056608500

I also gave some hard data on how much I drive in one month and how much it cost me. See link to my post #38 in that thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78173980&postcount=38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dotn like the idea of paying 22-30k for a car , then having to pay a couple of hundred + a month putting petrol in the thing , but such is life.

The battery will last longer than most people will keep the car, these are not laptop batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right... What if I manage to bend my brand new electric car around the tree outside dealership. Do I still pay battery rental, or do I pay a few grand to Reno for the battery in my car I newer owned?

Dartz wrote: »
    Like Soda Stream.

It sort of makes sense. But the cost of rental is higher than the cost of the battery?

Hardly, and Renault are loosing a lot of money until they can make it back over the life of the car.

Confab wrote: »
    Sounds like a good deal, restores the savings lost on the battery rental. The extended rental would be fun but I can't do it even if I wanted to - living in an apartment would mean cables draped out the window. Hardly practical.

Yes but this where the on street charging is being upgraded to 44kw and if you go shopping you might be able to charge, in 30 mins, currently 1 hr. but it would cost you more than charging at home on night saver.

godtabh wrote: »
    I assumed that they would needing replacing but didnt think it would be that expensive!

How long do they expect a battery to last?

I would be in favor of getting a EV but couldn't afford it at the moment. I have a diesel that I use for long commutes and the wife uses as part of her daily commute (10K in 3 months) and think that an EV would suit us down to the ground for a second car.

Currently selling our second car as I'll be getting a work one but again if I had a choice and could afford it i'd go for an EV

As regarding the Renault, who cares how long it lasts ? it's not yours. Technically it should easily last 100,000 miles easily their NMC battery in 2015 should last a lot longer with more range. Ic an see the current batteries last over 150,000 miles, remember these are not Laptop cells!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I dotn like the idea of paying 22-30k for a car , then having to pay a couple of hundred + a month putting petrol in the thing , but such is life.

That comparison is invalid, it would be more inline if you had to rent the petrol tank in a petrol car and pay for fuel.
    The Renault deal has you paying rental on the medium you have to pay to charge everyday. Its not like electricity is free and you just rent the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

galwaytt wrote: »
    Hold on - you mean the car heretofore did not include a method of charging at home - and you needed to fork out another €1k ??

Seem to remember something about the first howevermany thousand EV cars sold would get a free home charging point installed. Think it was in partnership with the ESB.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Interesting offer.........def worth thinking about..........

So, how would you charge it at work, as-is ??

You won't need to if it's within range, Zoe when it's released offers the best potential for charging from the esb charge points, as it can charge in an hour from 0 or 30 mins from 50%, when the chargers are upgraded to 44kw it will take 30 mins for 0-80%

Currently the Fluence and Leaf has a 3.3kw charger and will not charge for 7 hours at an on street charger but can fast charge from a 50 kw dc point in 30 mins 0-80% The Leaf charger is being upgraded to 6kw, but renault's charger is by far he best as all the e.s.b have to do is provide the a.c and costs a tiny fraction of the fast dc chargers!

Zoe would be very well worth waiting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, I am really not being smart, but can anyone explain me the whole battery renting?

So what if in 1 year I decide to sell my electric car? Does the new owner takes over payments? Or do I still have some sort of contract with Renualt?

Or if you write off car. Do you still pay?

I really like idea of electrc car after I heard more about Nissan leaf, but this battery thing is just weird.

Advertisement