Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault's Shocking E.V Offer!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Big woop, my Golf has pretty much all those and more...

And this

kx6o9.jpg

lol.........and here's a BIG WOOP for you...........yer golf tdi will have a fuel pump, injectors,dmf,dpf and other expensive gubbinzes to clear out yer wallet when they potential go wrong...........

....but the EV has none of these things.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

And this

kx6o9.jpg

I'm comparing a brand new 25k Golf BlueMotion to a brand new Nissan Leaf. Do you have a brand new Golf BlueMotion? How much was it? I've run configurator on VW website, it is fairly poorly equipped as standard compared to the Nissan Leaf.

OSI wrote: »
    Because I totally have an hour (plus the extra time it would take to actually track one down) to waste every time I need to go anywhere over 100 miles away. And this is hoping that no-one is already using it before I get there.

"totally" ?

It's your option to keep paying for petrol and diesel, as I have to because I can't afford the change at the moment.

But if I had to commute again to Dublin I could charge in the Luas stop at red cow or sit for 15 mins at the fast charge point at belgard. No big deal for me as the advantages of saving on petrol and diesel are worth it to me.

And this

kx6o9.jpg

And how much does that cost in Diesel to fill a 60 litre tank ?

750 miles in electricity is about 16 Euro's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The battery in your laptop and phone is completely different to the one in a Renault or Nissan EV.

Of course they are. There's loads of types of lithium ion batteries. But that's not what I said. I said manufactuers are always exaggerating battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

I could adjust to the range but Renault really need a cool E.V

If Renault launched one of these with a 60kwh electric motor, capable of 0-60 in 5 secs and 300lb/ft of torque for 35-40k I would be interested.

2009-renault-megane-trophy-picture-1-588x441.jpg

When the likes of Nissan, Toyota, Renault, Mitsubishi, Bmw starting releasing electric versions of there sport ranges like electric 350z, FT-86, Megane RS, Evo's, M cars I will be interested.

Now they are too boring.

An electric M5 with a 80kwh motor capable of 0-60 in 4 secs with no emissions would be a game changer.

RoverZT wrote: »
    I could adjust to the range but Renault really need a cool E.V

If Renault launched one of these with a 60kwh electric motor, capable of 0-60 in 5 secs and 300lb/ft of torque for 35-40k I would be interested.

2009-renault-megane-trophy-picture-1-588x441.jpg

When the likes of Nissan, Toyota, Renault, Mitsubishi, Bmw starting releasing electric versions of there sport ranges like electric 350z, FT-86, Megane RS, Evo's, M cars I will be interested.

Now they are too boring.

An electric M5 with a 80kwh motor capable of 0-60 in 4 secs with no emissions would be a game changer.

Tesla model S sport you want then ?

But you will pay for it and a lot more for a bmw, Merc etc.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Of course they are. There's loads of types of lithium ion batteries. But that's not what I said. I said manufactuers are always exaggerating battery life.

I had my Leaf serviced at 24,500 kilometers approximately. The service includes a battery report and my cars battery (which is not the same as a laptop or phone battery) still has 100% capacity. Nissan have also recalled the original owners manuals which stated to only fast charge once per day maximum and as little possible. New manual says you can fast charge multiple times per day without adversely affecting lifespan of battery.

Each Nissan Leaf has a built-in internet connection (no rental/subscription required) and this is uploading data on the battery back to Nissan every week. They have a very good idea on how their batteries are doing and I believe this is the reason they have changed their advise on fast charging.

A Nissan Leaf in Japan has also managed to reach 250,000 kilometers on the original battery, this was done by averaging 6 fast charges per day. The battery has degraded, but is still running the car fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm comparing a brand new 25k Golf BlueMotion to a brand new Nissan Leaf. Do you have a brand new Golf BlueMotion? How much was it? I've run configurator on VW website, it is fairly poorly equipped as standard compared to the Nissan Leaf.

2.0TDi Highline. Year old. 89000km on the clock. No issues beyond on-time servicing and tyre changes. Average 55mpg or thereabouts (60% motorway/20% N-roads/20% urban). As I do 5-6000 km a month, an EV is of bugger all use to me.

Also, you're comparing apples and oranges as up to a couple of weeks ago the Leaf was 30k.

28he6b9.jpg

2881baa.jpg

2mhvbwp.jpg

All the functions on there are active, I know on some trims the buttons are just for show.

And how much does that cost in Diesel to fill a 60 litre tank ?

750 miles in electricity is about 16 Euro's!

55 litre tank. About €85. Takes about 3 minutes. I'm a busy person, I don't have hours off to take at a time to wait for my car to be ready to go.

• Advertisement

2.0TDi Highline. Year old. 89000km on the clock. No issues beyond on-time servicing and tyre changes. Average 55mpg or thereabouts (60% motorway/20% N-roads/20% urban). As I do 5-6000 km a month, an EV is of bugger all use to me.

Also, you're comparing apples and oranges as up to a couple of weeks ago the Leaf was 30k.

28he6b9.jpg

2881baa.jpg

2mhvbwp.jpg

All the functions on there are active, I know on some trims the buttons are just for show.

Someone buying a Nissan Leaf will more than likely be looking for the personal economic benefits e.g. being in the absolute lowest motor tax band, best fuel efficiency etc. Therefore a 25k Golf BlueMotion, which is similar size and equipment level (although less BHP and less equipment compared to the Leaf) is a better comparison IMO.

Also the price is 25k today, not 30k. I don't see the point in discussing what it used to be? Someone is hardly going to not buy a car because it used to be more expensive in the past. Your Golf looks absolutely lovely, but is 5k more expensive and has higher running and servicing costs over the lifetime of the car.

55 litre tank. About €85. Takes about 3 minutes. I'm a busy person, I don't have hours off to take at a time to wait for my car to be ready to go.

It takes me 15 seconds to plug in my car when I get home. I don't have to take the time to go visit a petrol station 90% of the time.

*edit*

Also 2467.7 kilometers in March for the princely sum of 22.71 euro plus VAT @ 13.5%

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78173980&postcount=38

It takes me 15 seconds to plug in my car when I get home.

And how much longer before the car is ready to drive again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It takes me 15 seconds to plug in my car when I get home. I don't have to take the time to go visit a petrol station 90% of the time.

A busy person is also likely to drive more than the range of the battery.

Doesn't take 3 minutes to fill a Leaf.

Diesel would need to be in the region of €5.50 a litre before an EV fast charge (At current electricity prices - which would likely be 4x if diesel was 5.50) would be economic time-wise for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Renault has also launched a new Extended Test Drive Trial, where those interested in purchasing an EV, commercial or passenger, can test-drive the Fluence Z.E. or Kangoo Z.E. for up to one month extended test drive from local dealerships. At the end of the trial, the customer will have the choice to either purchase an Electric Vehicle with 2 Years FREE Battery Rental and 5 years unlimited mileage warranty, or hand back the vehicle to the Dealer.
    Sounds pretty good.

And how much longer before the car is ready to drive again?

It charges at night on night rate electricity, I don't care how long it takes... I'm in bed asleep ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not too busy though to be commenting on a car you've no interest in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

What's the point in even discussing EV's on this board anymore? Well, there's at least no point in discussing in the style of "EV vs. ICE - Which is better??"

Clearly EV's work for some and not for others. There's no point in debating otherwise

However, for the benefit of For **** Sake, its worth pointing out that if he, as he claims to do, does 6000km per month thats about 200km per day (over 30 days). I would call that very high mileage. An EV would get you circa 150km per charge. Now without knowing the particulars of your day if there, the real challenge is not can you run an EV day to day to fit your lifestyle, it's actually can you charge it during the working day!!!

Not exactly a kick in arse away from solving the range issue then, are we...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Joe 90

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You know what I have decided to stop posting in EV threads. The blind EV fanboyism is starting to get annoying.

PS if you think that electric motors dont need maintenance your living in dreamland.
    Well, I would expect the electric motor to require less maintenance than an ICE. Transmission should be simpler if not practically on existent. Brakes, tyres and suspension should be not a lot different apart from the extra wear and tear due the the EV being a bit heavier than the equivalent spec ICE powered car. So overall maintenance wise over a decent mileage I would not expect any huge difference between the EV and the ICE vehicle.

I had my Leaf serviced at 24,500 kilometers approximately. The service includes a battery report and my cars battery (which is not the same as a laptop or phone battery) still has 100% capacity. Nissan have also recalled the original owners manuals which stated to only fast charge once per day maximum and as little possible. New manual says you can fast charge multiple times per day without adversely affecting lifespan of battery.

Each Nissan Leaf has a built-in internet connection (no rental/subscription required) and this is uploading data on the battery back to Nissan every week. They have a very good idea on how their batteries are doing and I believe this is the reason they have changed their advise on fast charging.

A Nissan Leaf in Japan has also managed to reach 250,000 kilometers on the original battery, this was done by averaging 6 fast charges per day. The battery has degraded, but is still running the car fine.

Fast charging without degradation doesn't surprise me, because I could charge my bike battery (a 62 volt 10ah LiPo) @ 20 amps in an hour without issue. I could buy faster charging capable batteries that could charge in <10 mins without issue either. After that I'm pretty close to a normal 13 amp plug limit!

But that is pretty cool. The only thing is there are and will always be far more fast 3 phase a.c charging, so maybe the leaf II will have that, I can't see why they only upgrade 2014 Leaf to 6.5 kw and Zoe can charge @44 kw from 3 phase a.c ?

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    What's the point in even discussing EV's on this board anymore? Well, there's at least no point in discussing in the style of "EV vs. ICE - Which is better??"

Clearly EV's work for some and not for others. There's no point in debating otherwise

However, for the benefit of For **** Sake, its worth pointing out that if he, as he claims to do, does 6000km per month thats about 200km per day (over 30 days). I would call that very high mileage. An EV would get you circa 150km per charge. Now without knowing the particulars of your day if there, the real challenge is not can you run an EV day to day to fit your lifestyle, it's actually can you charge it during the working day!!!

Not exactly a kick in arse away from solving the range issue then, are we...:rolleyes:

Seeing as you've decided to attack the poster..

Each second friday I have to go to Cork for the day. Tullamore to Cork (approx 220km)
    About 30km or so around Cork going to 6 different customers and meeting time of average 45-60 mins at a go. No EV charge point at any of their location as far as I know.
    Another 220km back to Tullamore. And I have to be back there by 6 some weeks if I have to collect my daughter from creche and my wife is working.

Solve for X

And I already said this in response to Sesshoumaru above:
    As I do 5-6000 km a month, an EV is of bugger all use to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The nissan leaf was never designed to be a Rep car? I don't see the big hang up you have with it? It's not designed for you or could serve you........woppie do!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The nissan leaf was never designed to be a Rep car? I don't see the big hang up you have with it? It's not designed for you or could serve you........woppie do!

I've stated precisely that above. The EV cheerleaders need to realise that in it's current incarnation, an EV is not the answer to everyones motoring needs, in terms of price, range or indeed the sheer ugliness of the EV models currently on sale.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    "rarely" is the key word there! Rarely means they still do need range, just the odd time. Even if you do 5 long drives a year, range is still a hassle that people don't want.
    I think people (on boards.ie anyway) are very open to the electric car, but range and charging points is the killer.
    Plus, we've all bought electronics with batteries and the manufacture battery life and the real world battery life aren't in the same ball park. That also makes people skeptical.

There are many trips I could take, maybe not at motorway speeds, but if I'm going to Galway or clare I don't really have a motorway to drive, maybe only a few miles. so won't be much of an issue, I can reduce my speed on the motorway if I am on one. Besides I like to stop for a meal or coffee on a long drive, so the older routes with garages appeal to me more!

Zoe should have more range.

If it's too big of an issue I can borrow my mother, or Aunties car! for 95% of the time for most people an electric car is more than enough.

It would be cheaper to rent a car for a few days either if were too big a deal.

I've stated precisely that above. The EV cheerleaders need to realise that in it's current incarnation, an EV is not the answer to everyones motoring needs, in terms of price, range or indeed the sheer ugliness of the EV models currently on sale.

Can you quote where I say it is a car for everyone? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Seeing as you've decided to attack the poster..

Each second friday I have to go to Cork for the day. Tullamore to Cork (approx 220km)
    About 30km or so around Cork going to 6 different customers and meeting time of average 45-60 mins at a go. No EV charge point at any of their location as far as I know.
    Another 220km back to Tullamore. And I have to be back there by 6 some weeks if I have to collect my daughter from creche and my wife is working.

Solve for X

And I already said this in response to Sesshoumaru above:

Where did I attack anyone?

I also clearly stated I didn't know the particulars of your day. For all anyone knew you could drive 100km, stop, work all day, and drive another 100km

that seems strange, you'd imagine they knew the characteristics and long term effects of fast charging on battery life pre commercial launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Press Release
    Renault announce attractive EV Offer - 2 years free battery rental, 5 years unlimited warranty

OP, can you give us a link to the press release?
    Unable to find it in news section on renault-ze website.

How long is the contract you sign for? 5y with 2y free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

biko wrote: »
    Sounds pretty good.
    Very good indeed. As was mentioned earlier, I'd love to see the TCs for this offer.
    Maybe they hold your ICE hostage to ensure you return the EV after the month is over...?!

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    that seems strange, you'd imagine they knew the characteristics and long term effects of fast charging on battery life pre commercial launch.

Maybe it is meeting their expectations precisely and they just wanted to be cautious for the first year and a bit? Everyone got a new manual though and the new manual says it's fine to fast charge multiple times per day. Which is almost the polar opposite of what the original manual said.

Anyways we find our average mileage per month to be creeping up slowly. I think over the next year we might cover 30,000 kilometers. It should be interesting to see then is there any detectable capacity drop. There is more than one Nissan Leaf taxi around the country as well, we should get good data from those vehicles.

Advertisement