Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Alarm configuration query

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Hopefully someone will have a answer for me. Working on something for college, Addressable fire alarm system that contains detectors, BGU, I/O units, sounders and xenon flashing beacons.

My query is regards the loop configuration. Sounders on their own loops, so then is it correct to have detectors + BGU + I/O units + xenon beacons on the same loop?

Having a difficult time finding correct information on-line. Its the I/O units and xenon beacons that are causing me the problems.

Anyone have any information on this it would be great.

Pieface

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Addressable fire alarm systems can be the type with bells on a seperate loop to the detection circuit, or they can be combined all into the same loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

You can have it all on 1 loop.Most systems will let you put 127 devices on loop.
    If you are putting sounders seperate they will be more than likely conventional sounders on a radial with an eol fitted. What exactly are you looking to do?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In my experience industrial installations sounder and detection loops are kept separate.

Recent projects I have worked on have had different cable specifications for sounders and detection loops. For example sounders use 2.5 sq. mm conductors with detection using 1.5 sq. mm.

In some installations MICC is still used for sounders as it provides a higher degree of mechanical protection that something like Prysmian FP Plus or FP200.

If you are installing fire resistant cabling outside be warned much of the red sheathed modern cabling is not UV resistant. I have seen this mistake made about 2 years ago and it meant that we had to replace a large amount of cabling.

There are alternatives available such as Prysmian PFP400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea any i was on they were seperate. Last time i did work on one 10 years ago, the bells were in pyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

It all depends on the system you are theoretically installing OP, so you're going to have to get more info from the manufacturer. I've worked with addressable systems where everything can be on the one circuit as long as the maximum amount of devices isn't reached (as said above), which again can differ from system to system. Conventional systems differ in that regard where you must have the sounders on a separate loop.

I/O units, if all they're doing is activating door magnets or smoke vents etc… are wired on the addressable loop and not counted towards your total device number. Again this can change if their operation is different (like data gathering) and you should check how the system is designed to operate.

Try getting some device PDFs online, that should sort you. Search the system type if you've already chosen one, the PDF should give a wiring diagram for the system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

muff03 wrote: »
    I've worked with addressable systems where everything can be on the one circuit as long as the maximum amount of devices isn't reached
    Agreed. I was just stating what I have 1st hand experience of (all addressable systems with 100s or 1000s of detectors, I/O interface modules).

Advertisement