Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Android phone as modem for Samsung Galaxy Tab

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I already have an android phone with data and don't want to spend the extra money on a 3G Tab and an extra 3G account. Is there a simple way of using the phone as modem for the Tab and how would it work (connections, etc.)?

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

Do a search on Google Play for "Hotspot".

There's an app there called Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether Pro. This would appear to turn your phone into a Wifi Hotspot to share your 3G connection. There is also a Lite version so you can download that first to see if the Pro version will work well with your devices. The Pro version is €11.99 tho.

There seems to be some free ones down the list too like FoxFi, Wifi Tethering...

No warranty expressed or implied, I've never used any of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Unless it's an oldish Android phone installing an app shouldn't be necessary as the Hotspot functionality should be built in (from Froyo onwards IIRC).

OP you're right, there's no way I'd pay extra for a 3G tab when it can be paired with my phone so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Unless it's an oldish Android phone installing an app shouldn't be necessary as the Hotspot functionality should be built in (from Froyo onwards IIRC).

My phone (Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-I5500 on Three) is running 2.1 Update 1.

Froyo is 2.2!

Can I update?
    OP you're right, there's no way I'd pay extra for a 3G tab when it can be paired with my phone so easily.

On that basis, I guess I'll get the Wi-fi only and save €100 and assume I'll get the tethering to work.

Am I right in thinking that this works by your phone acting as a wi-fi hotspot which will appear on the Tab when you search for an available network? You then connect and you have full internet access on yout Tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Yep Froyo is 2.2. According to this it should be available for your device.
    Am I right in thinking that this works by your phone acting as a wi-fi hotspot which will appear on the Tab when you search for an available network? You then connect and you have full internet access on yout Tab?

Yup! I do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I upgraded my phone to Froyo 2.2 and, sure enough, the "portable wi-fi hotspot" feature was there. Works a treat:). Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement