Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CID Question on hours applicable

• 25-04-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am post primary and am eligible for CID hours this year. My contracts for the year involve 17hrs and 20 mins as 'my own hours' and 4hrs 40mins given to cover a career break.

The classes I am doing extra aren't replacing the career break teacher and if he were to return I would keep them as he is languages. I don't think he is returning.

The department have granted me 17hr20min CID and have refused the remainder on objective grounds as its a career break.

So,

1) Do I have a case if I appeal the decision and whats the best way to go about it?
    2) If I take 17 20m then its not full time so what are the main implications of this for scale/pension etc...?

I am confident i'll receive 22 hours a year from my school, whether CID or not, so if anyone has thoughts on to accept it or not (pro's con's of either), I would appreciate them,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Hello,

I am post primary and am eligible for CID hours this year. My contracts for the year involve 17hrs and 20 mins as 'my own hours' and 4hrs 40mins given to cover a career break.

The classes I am doing extra aren't replacing the career break teacher and if he were to return I would keep them as he is languages. I don't think he is returning.

The department have granted me 17hr20min CID and have refused the remainder on objective grounds as its a career break.

So,

1) Do I have a case if I appeal the decision and whats the best way to go about it?
    2) If I take 17 20m then its not full time so what are the main implications of this for scale/pension etc...?

I am confident i'll receive 22 hours a year from my school, whether CID or not, so if anyone has thoughts on to accept it or not (pro's con's of either), I would appreciate them,

Thanks

did you have a contract for 22 hours in your last year?

was the objective ground set out in this contract?

ring your union they deal,with this stuff everyday and know tge law on it better than the officials in the dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

bdoo wrote: »
    did you have a contract for 22 hours in your last year?

was the objective ground set out in this contract?

It is the current year. I have a contract for 22 hours, 17.33 are 'mine' 4.66 are someone on career break that won't be returning to his job, but are subjects that he doesn't teach anyway.

Objective ground in contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well while this other teacher remains on career break and hasn't officially resigned they remain his hours. A timetable shuffle could be done to put those language hours on some other permanent teachers timetable and him given back his own subject.

Probably best to check it with the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the others have said, you need to get a clearcut reply from the union. However I had hours for someone on a career break and there is something about substitution for a named person isn't considered any way the same as even ordinary substitution, there are all sorts of limitations to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

looksee wrote: »
    As the others have said, you need to get a clearcut reply from the union. However I had hours for someone on a career break and there is something about substitution for a named person isn't considered any way the same as even ordinary substitution, there are all sorts of limitations to it.

does your contract state that those hours are career break? if so that is an objective ground for those hours not being given to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

From what I see happening in the schools I know about you will get the CID for those hours which are your own and not for the career break hours. It doesnt matter what subject is being taught during those hours they are still his hours so I dont think they will be able to be used as part of your CID....def check with your union though, they will know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Glencairin

We had many cases similar to this in our school. Each one first accepted the CID and then appealed for the remainder of the hours and they all won, even when they were career break hours. Some were bumped up 11 hours, just get the appeals form from your principal. If you are with the ASTI give Bernard Moynihan a call and he will sort you out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Glencairin wrote: »
    We had many cases similar to this in our school. Each one first accepted the CID and then appealed for the remainder of the hours and they all won, even when they were career break hours. Some were bumped up 11 hours, just get the appeals form from your principal. If you are with the ASTI give Bernard Moynihan a call and he will sort you out. :)

Thanks, it appears all similar cases taken last year were appealed and won so I will appeal it. I have the form now to fill in.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashling1

Glencairin wrote: »

Thanks, it appears all similar cases taken last year were appealed and won so I will appeal it. I have the form now to fill in.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
    I have been granted a CID for 6 hours and a person was redeployed into my job last year so hence only getting 6 hours CID this year . I was doing a maternity leave in the school this year for 13 hours but I did not start them until 2 weeks into sept and ended it the 3 rd week in may . My union are appealing my hours to the adjudicator . Do I have any hope of winning. I am 9 years teaching and after all that have only 6 hours CID .

Advertisement