Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Monitor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

komplett have the Dell u2312hm IPS for €190. I've ordered one so I'll let you know if its good in a few days, but from experience, Dell make top notch monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

^That.

I have the 2412M at the moment, and it's a great monitor for the price. Everyone (and I mean everyone) who buys an IPS monitor always says the same thing after they get it: "I'm never going back to TN".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What about response time? I probably wouldn't notice the difference between say 8ms and 5ms but the u2312hm has an 8ms response compared to the 2ms of the 24" Benq linked above.

In real terms would that be very significant? 8ms IPS vs 2ms TN? To be honest i've faded out of playing fast paced FPS shooters etc. so I don't think that would be huge just looking for more opinions!

A handy rule of thumb to follow:

IPS is always better.

You might notice a difference between 2ms and 8ms (though I can't say for sure. I've never used anything below 5ms myself) but what you gain from the IPS panel far outweighs any input lag that you may or may not notice, in my book at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Vikings wrote: »
    What about response time?

I got my monitor not so long ago and in my research was told the response times is one of the most important features I should be looking for (I was buying it for gaming).

Mine has a 2 MS response time, cost a good bit extra for that feature. Cant say wether or not I notice it, as it was a jump in quality in every area compared to my old monitor but it was something people mentioned a lot.

• Advertisement

I've moved from a 2ms iiyama similar to the BenQ to a 6ms IPS screen, and I really cant see any lag, and all I play is fps these days. as above, I'll never go back go TN. or 1080p really.

I went from a 5ms, high quality TN, to a 6ms extremely high quality IPS, then to an 8ms high quality IPS, and I really can't say I noticed a difference at all in terms of input lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got dell u2312hm few weeks ago and it's one of the best things I ever bought.

I am looking to buy 1 or 2 more to make 3 monitor setup now.

It has 8ms, but I am using it for games 95% of the time. If you are a normal gamer and not professional then it's is more then grand and you won't even notice the difference.

I am leaning towards IPS at the moment, watching a lot of videos at the moment to try make my mind up.

At the moment I am comparing the LG IPS235V 23 to the Dell U2312HM.

The LG has a HDMI connection, better response time (5ms vs 8 for Dell), is cheaper (€15).

The Dell has better brightness (300cd/m2 vs 250 for the LG) and a better stand, also has 4 usb slots on it.

I have a HD6870 graphics card with a HDMI output so am leaning towards the LG over the Dell purely for the HDMI option.

What would be the best connection option though, HDMI or DVI?

Ah, heh, yeah. Wrong thread. I was wondering what you were on about for a minute, thought maybe you were taking a jab at anyone with "only" 1080p monitors or something. :P

@Vikings: It depends what you want. Personally, I almost never use my case's USB ports, as the monitor's are just so bloody convenient. There's also the fact that you're probably better going with DVI anyway. HDMI doesn't allow for any panel scaling, so if you're playing older 4:3 games, and you don't want them to stretch to the full screen, you won't be able to do anything about it.

• Advertisement

your card should have dvi no? use that. will you be using this monitor for XBox or PS3?

no one knows what's going on cause we both ninja edited the hell out of our posts :D

I may still be drunk.

It's possible that it may be used for PS3 at some stage but it would not be the first choice. I have a tv in the room for that, so I suppose HD isn't the be all and end all in that case.

Agggh decisions decisions!

Well I have 2312hm amd I love it. It's well worth it. Very good stand too.

If dell can be quite shiet at pc they offer, they can be very dn good with monitors.

Earlier on I had convinced myself to buy the Dell, now I have reversed course and am preferring the LG purely for the HDMI connection. If the dell had that I would be sold on it.

Why do you want HDMI so much? DVI is literally the exact same connection, minus carrying audio.

I'm thinking along the lines of consoles or connecting laptop/tablet device to it. I think it's an option I would like to have, but at the same time I would like the option to rotate the screen which the Dell provides.

Now i'm back to square one again lol

Well I guess there's absolutely nothing you can do to solve that problem... cough.

:D

komplettl.png

I went with the Dell :D

Vikings wrote: »
    komplettl.png

I went with the Dell :D

good boy, and i was about to smack ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

That IPS LG is going for an unreal price on pixmania: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11174297/art/lg/ips235v-bn-23-full-hd-led.html
    but i see you made your choice. I might get 1 myself for that price...or 3 :D

Advertisement