Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact Gaming Keyboard

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a compact gaming keyboard please? I saw one in some thread recently but forgot to bookmark it and now I cant find it sorry!

Ideally something with full size keys though still but just a lot less wide than most other gaming keyboards (I have an ancient G15 and its way too big for the drawer on my desk).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I'm currently looking at getting a Filco with Cherry Brown keys but they come in at around £100. Cheaper variants would be the SteelSeries 6G V2 and Razer Black Widow for around the £70 mark. Again, both feature mechanical keys so are pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Just did a quick read up on keyboards as a result of this thread. I really didn't realise that I was such a keyboarding noob :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

gizmo wrote: »
    What kind of budget are you looking at?

I'm currently looking at getting a Filco with Cherry Brown keys but they come in at around £100. Cheaper variants would be the SteelSeries 6G V2 and Razer Black Widow for around the £70 mark. Again, both feature mechanical keys so are pricey.

I'd like something a bit cheaper, something in the £30 - £40 range max if possible.

I'd be happy enough with good responsive keys and some anti-ghosting, I'm not too bothered about multiple macro buttons etc.

Its just a confined space I have now. I think the G15 is about 21 inches wide, so thats leaving me with only about 6 inches space for the mouse mat. Ideally, I'd like double that space in order to be able to move more freely.

Something like this might even do (would spend more if there was better though):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920-001488-K300-Compact-Keyboard/dp/B00250XJ56/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335357359&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The microsoft sidewinder X5-6 has a detachable number pad but again it's pretty pricey for your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What advantage is there to mechanical keys? I've a Logitech G15 but thinking of changing, it's a bit old at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

danthefan wrote: »
    What advantage is there to mechanical keys? I've a Logitech G15 but thinking of changing, it's a bit old at this stage.

They require less pressure to activate etc plus has full N key rollover..in other words you can press every key on the keyboard simultaneously and all will register.
    So far the QPAD MK85 is the only one that does this via USB..the rest of them do it via PS2.

I went from G15 to MK85 and it's a fantastic keyboard..
    I do miss the LCD screen from the G15 though :(

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

My LCD screen broke years ago so I won't be missing out on anything there. May look into that keyboard so, thanks. Can you remember roughly what you paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Razer's Black Widow Stealth is only about $80. I'd go for the Ultimate stealth myself (it's $140) but thats window-shopping... Mechanical Keyboards they are though.

Overheal wrote: »
    Razer's Black Widow Stealth is only about $80. I'd go for the Ultimate stealth myself (it's $140) but thats window-shopping... Mechanical Keyboards they are though.

What site is this from?

Komplett.ie have it for €123 delivered.

The QPAD MK85 I can see on overclockers.co.uk for 130 sterling which is a bit too much for me I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Das keyboard wins.

• Advertisement

Das keyboard wins.
    Filco beats DAS from my research thus far. :)

indeed, i guess i am too accustomed to having a numpad and hence negates the "compactness" which is the main requirement here :).

danthefan wrote: »
    What site is this from?

Komplett.ie have it for €123 delivered.

The QPAD MK85 I can see on overclockers.co.uk for 130 sterling which is a bit too much for me I reckon.
    Razer.com ...

Noppoo Choc Mini maybe, looking at those myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I've a filco majestouch tenkeyless 2 cherry MX brown. Pricey! but love it :D
    9E33D0F0741540B59827108DB95ACFE8-0000338914-0002839994-00800L-2CD0B7756B7744378D3AD6CA76B7B89D.jpg
    A00B8F18DAC54993BFADF7AED4BE3208-0000338914-0002839650-00800L-F733E6D55CAA465B93F31BCB3BAA19C6.jpg

whats pricey about it?

Overheal wrote: »
    whats pricey about it?

€140 for an unassuming but very well built mechanical keyboard

OP might consider looking at the noppoo choc mini as mentioned already (waiting on one myself) or a KBC poker if compactness is a big issue......or go mental and get a happy hacking pro 2 :p

Oh, that's the one I've after hal9000. Well, minus the multi-coloured keys and plus the numpad to make it a full size job. :)

I take it you're happy with it so? I've read nothing but glowing reviews of it.

gizmo wrote: »
    Oh, that's the one I've after hal9000. Well, minus the multi-coloured keys and plus the numpad to make it a full size job. :)

I take it you're happy with it so? I've read nothing but glowing reviews of it.

zero issues, great keyboard. If you do get one you wont be disappointed :)

Built like a tank, very crisp key response, plus loads of modding options if you want to. gaudy keycaps FTW :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dear god I could not spend 140 on a keyboard if my life depended on it!!!

Dear god I could not spend 140 on a keyboard if my life depended on it!!!

as I said pricey :p but you are paying for quality construction and superior typing experience. The keyboard should last me a lot longer than the 7-8 dell, MS, logitech and various other membrane keyboards I've gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hal9000 wrote: »
    as I said pricey :p but you are paying for quality construction and superior typing experience. The keyboard should last me a lot longer than the 7-8 dell, MS, logitech and various other membrane keyboards I've gone through.

I had my first stock dell for a couple of years then won a microsoft keyboard (nice but nothing special) in a competition and have had it for going on 8 years now of constant (and I mean constant)use. You must have heavy fingers or something :D

I had my first stock dell for a couple of years then won a microsoft keyboard (nice but nothing special) in a competition and have had it for going on 8 years now of constant (and I mean constant)use. You must have heavy fingers or something :D

crumbs also does it's fair share of damage :D I agree its a crazy amount of money to spend on a keyboard, I get my fair share of raised eyebrows and WTF's!!! when they hear the price, but when I type its feels so right and my buyers remorse disappears to the sound of.....clickety clacktey clack! :pac:

you pay for quality these days.

i still use the same microsoft intellieye 1.1 SE mouse (used by many a pro CS players) and have done for the last 6 years (also have one brand new in box sealed) think it cost me 140 for the both of them.

my das cost 130 and has been heavily used as both my work (8-10 hour days) and my gaming keyboard. there is nothing that will beat a mechanical keyboard.

Advertisement