Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB issuing new Student Mastercard

Options
  • 25-04-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

I just got a new AIB credit card in the post, apparently they're obsoleting the MC2 3-cornered ones.

Anyway, I have to switch to this card by June 14th, and from what I can tell they expect me to have cleared all debts on my account by then before I can start using it again.

Seems a bit short notice, doesn't it?
    Please destroy your existing AIB mc^2 Student MasterCard as it will no longer be accepted for transactions after 14th June 2012. If you try to use it after this date it may be declined.

For accounts currently in arrears, please do not use your new card until the arrears on your account have been cleared. If you have any concerns regarding payments to your Credit Card account, you can contact us on (01) 668 55 00.

By "arrears" do they mean having a balance on my CC, or having overdue payments on it? Because I have my credit card automatic payment at a very low percent and then manually pay it off when I get some money in.

Also, by June I'll be finished in 3rd level education anyway, so my new card will probably be void because of that anyway, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You wont have to clear debts on the old card. They're the same account (maybe different card numbers). The debt will move to the new account

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Arrears would be overdue payments, not having a balance on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

As far as I can tell, having also received the new AIB card yesterday the only change apart from the rather clever addition of a fourth corner (about jesus fecking time...see below) ...will be the expiry date. Which will mean you ll have to update things connected to your account such as paypal or god forbid paddypower and betfair! :D

About leaving 3rd level education, dont expect any changes anytime soon. I finished in 2006 and I believe I was on the same account rate for 2 years after that. Around then I was upgraded (kicked out screaming and kicking!). The only change was an increase in charges like APR and interest rates, the account details remained the same.

A 4 cornered card, Im delighted, having a 3 cornered card ****ed me up severely many times. I tried to change my account but it was never quite the easy. As it explains "Some ATMS, vending machines and POS devices did not have the technology to accept the original three-cornered card and may have rejected or retained it". When I was in Andorra, and Morroco it was rejected. When I was in Italy it was 'retained'....lovely-talk about being up ****s creek without a paddle. If the 4th corner bothered us, we can always go to town it on with a scissors thanks very much AIB! :mad: <rant ends>

Short notice as your say. I dont mind so much the rush to fix this long standing problem of a stupidly conceived designer CC that doesnt actually function on its most basic level... but by suddenly shortening the expiry date of current cards to the middle of June, they are going to cause severe difficulties for many people. I'm thinking perhaps people out of the country, and there are many, maybe for 6 months to a year in oz wherever, who perhaps rely on their cc for their cash needs and (a)either wont be able to get the replacement card in time, or (b) wont even get the information that their card will be invalidated from 14th June 2012. Nice one there AIB <rant begins>

Good morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

My old mc2 is valid until 08/12

This new one starts in 05/12 , and expires 05/13

Does this mean both my cards will be active for the months of may, june, july, august?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I was told that i would receive a new pin but never did - does this mean the pin will stay the same?

Also, they lumped a far larger bill on me yesterday than I had expected (I pay the 100% automatically on Direct Debit).

Feckers.

Advertisement