Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain expiring on the 24th June - I want it bad!

Options
  • 25-04-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hello all, so there is a certain domain and it was registered back in 1998 and the website is a blank with just missing script and a logo. I have tried to contact the owner but the email address is that old it bounces back.

What are my options here. I see the domain being a necessity for a new business venture.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hello all, so there is a certain domain and it was registered back in 1998 and the website is a blank with just missing script and a logo. I have tried to contact the owner but the email address is that old it bounces back.

What are my options here. I see the domain being a necessity for a new business venture.

Thanks

If it's a .com you can try backorder it.

I'd say nothing to the present owner if I was you, if he/she gets any idea the domain is of value to someone they'll either try sell it to you for a high price, or failing that, they'll renew it (I would anyway).

If it's a .ie you can do nothing but just wait for it to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

cormee wrote: »

Thanks

If it's a .com you can try backorder it.

I'd say nothing to the present owner if I was you, if he/she gets any idea the domain is of value to someone they'll either try sell it to you for a high price, or failing that, they'll renew it (I would anyway).

If it's a .ie you can do nothing but just wait for it to expire.

It's a .com and yes I agree stay away from contacting the owner. I did that over a year ago. I think I back ordered it last year sometime but I suppose that's no guarentee that it will be registered for me.

Has anyone here had success with a back order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I found a domain I want and tried to contact the owner to see if they'd sell it. It was registered in 2001, never used, and doesn't expire until 2020 and he's either ignored my emails or doesn't use that account any more. it's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

It's a .com and yes I agree stay away from contacting the owner. I did that over a year ago. I think I back ordered it last year sometime but I suppose that's no guarentee that it will be registered for me.

NEVER! and I have done lots over the years, a waste of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

If there is .ie domain name that is taken and is being used currently (no web site up, just a hosting name but used for emails) how can one obtain it? I think the .ie system is a little different than .com. Any help appreciated as not overly familiar with domain registry.

Like the original poster it's suitable for a business idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

finisklin wrote: »
    If there is .ie domain name that is taken and is being used currently (no web site up, just a hosting name but used for emails) how can one obtain it? I think the .ie system is a little different than .com. Any help appreciated as not overly familiar with domain registry.

Like the original poster it's suitable for a business idea.
    You can't unless they sell it to you and you have a registered business name that's associated with the domain you want. And if they're using it for email then I doubt they'll sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sometimes people who own potentially valuable domains won't even bother replying to e-mails from people who are "interested" in the domain. I've even had someone e-mail me wanting a domain at registration fee.
    Yes. I've even picked up good domains that were dropped without having to back order them.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement