Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Sony bravia internet Tv will NOT be compatiable with Netflix..

Options
  • 25-04-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Sony announced recently that Netflix will be available on the Sony Bravia range. Unless you where the tool who purchased a 2011 model at the end of last year . And believed the sales pitch that my Sony Tv will be compatible with all future online content.

ONLY 2012 models will be able to access Netflix. So if you own a pre 2012 model forget it..... Its a Netflix DRM issue that Netflix and Sony are not bothered to resolve.

http://www.sony.ie/discussions/thread/146909?start=90&tstart=0

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/netflix-uk-bravias/

This sad news and the general poor online content / functionality make Sony Bravia smart TV a waste of time and money in my opining.

Off to cancel my netflix account, so much for my foray into the world of legal online content .....

(Just a point - Netflix is probably not available in Ireland on Sony Tv anyway- because we don't really count when come to Sony internet Tv)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What a crowd of tools! I have a 2011 network-attached Sony Blu-Ray player (S480) so can toss that on the junk heap as well.

Goodbye Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Only found out about this last night myself. Didn't buy the tv for this but assumed a brand new model would have this functionality. Whats the point of internet telly if it can't stream these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

The thread was posted a while back and it's not just Sony that can't do it on older products - it's every brand. Looks to be Netflix's fault!

As far as I've heard, there will be a different movie service coming to the Sony TV's that will have newer movies and won't be subscription based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Any link to that. Sounds interesting if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lambayrules

Current Samsung 2011 tv have netflix on certain models.... but much heartbreak for samsung customers how have 6000 and below models.

The moral of the story is to forget Smart Tv and television companies when come to accesses online content. stick to hacking media boxes.

Sony has not provided any movie streaming service so far for over a year and a half now to Irish customers...

What really bugs me if you go to their irish website

http://www.sony.ie/hub/internet-tv/entertainment-on-demand

They advertise that you can access BBC iplayer, in the text of the page !! - and in the flash banner you access iplayer / lovefilm / demnad 5 etc

LMFAO

If your talking about movie unlimited / music unlimited aka qriocity.

It not free-currently you can pay £9.99 a month for music unlimited alone and if movie unlimited ever arrived to these shores i am sure you could expect to pay the similar prices....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

The lack of a movie service is no surprise really - Ireland is such a small country that it is always last to have these services as country distribution rights are negotiated individually. Video Unlimited, when it arrives will easily surpass what is available on other Smart TV platforms. It's not a subscription service so you just pay for what you watch.

Music Unlimited is quite cool actually. I don't think it's any more expensive to what Spotify charge in the UK.

Advertisement