Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Donadea

Options
  • 25-04-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

We moved to Donadea about 2 years ago but haven't got to know too many people. Pub isn't really an option as have 1 yr old daughter and we're about 2 miles from the nearest one so driving also an issue. I'm more worried about my wife who is at home most (though not all) of the time and is feeling quite isolated. Any suggestions as to how to fix this,
    I'm thinking barbeque to meet neighbours duing summer,
    will probably go to the football matches in summer etc.,
    don't get me wrong we have met one or two people, I'm just worried my wife has given up on place already and thinking of nothing other than moving on. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

What about local baby/toddler clubs.. I'm pretty sure Allenwood, Clane, Sallins and Derrinturn all have clubs..

We moved here a 4 years ago and my wife has met all her friends through baby clubs (and now does evening courses in Clane college with them for fun etc.). Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Howdy.

There's not much to do in that area afaik.

The Forest park always has a few mothers and kids pottering about.

Re: the isolation, things are taking a bit of a turn for the worst so make sure you keep your guard up :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have a mother and toddler group in Maynooth on Tuesdays 10-12.
    I am in Maynooth and at home with a 1,2 and 3 year old every day if you want to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

Hi Leo, welcome to the area.

We moved to the area about 10 years ago and our youngest is 6 now so have been down that road. There have been many people that have moved the area in recent years and have been in the same situation and will be very open to helping you settle in.

It's a rural area as you know and many of the mums have older kids at primary to pick up from 2 O'Clock which limits options to go to the formal toddler groups in the built up areas so they tend to do coffee mornings at each others houses. This worked very well for my wife and she and the kids made many good friends that way. They sometimes arrange to meet at the coffee shop in Donadea forest park in the mornings or go to one of the playbarns in the local area with the kids after school.

I'd suggest the best way to get connected is to get in touch with the local playschool or Montessori in Tirmoghan village. The owners are very approachable and will be happy to show you around the facilities and put you in touch with other mums with younger kids of similar age to your own.

Feel free to PM me for contact details of the playschools if you need them.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 nicky chick

Welcome to Donadea, im sorry your wife feels that way but im sure once she gets to know other mums she will be fine, I am part of the timahoe ladies group and we meet the last thursday of every month, sometimes we will go for a meal, some times just a meet for a few drinks but we do something different every month. we have a summer bbq and go away at christmas for our christmas party. The group consists of about 18 women through you wont get everyone there on the same night. We all have children with a wide range of ages. It may be for her and it may not but pm me if you want a contact number she would be more than welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Thank you for all your responses. I'll talk to my wife and get back in touch.

Well aware of keeping our guard up - got broken into last year whilst we were in house believe it or not - they'd come and gone before I'd realised. 3rd time in three years though 1st time in that house, I'm guessing its the reason why eveyone has big electric gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There are a few well known individuals in the area that will take any and every opportunity.

Advertisement