Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge/Irish Conversation in/near Greystones

Options
  • 25-04-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

My Irish is not too bad (not fluent, but would like to get there), and I would love to be have the opportunity to speak it regularly. Does anyone know of a conversation group in or near Greystones please? I asked at the library and checked its noticeboard but no luck.

Alternatively, would
    a) any speaker(s) be interested in meeting up on a weekly basis for conversation in Irish?
    or
    b) be interested in giving me classes in conversation (I would pay!) or know of someone who might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Maybe check with the gaelscoil? i'm sure they would have some suggestions as many of the parents of children attending the school like to brush up on their gaeilge also .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Hi Jelly,

I'm studying Irish at the moment in college, so I'd definitely be interested in taking part in a conversation group or whatever. My Irish is good enough, wouldn't go so far as fluent yet but getting there, and you can borrow my grammar books anyway :D

I won't be around for the next month though (exam time :(), but sure keep me informed

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Thanks Woodsy2. I might enquire at the Gaelscoil next week to see whether anyone there knows of anything going on locally. I don't suppose that you would be interested in offering me conversation lessons over the summer, if there wasn't a circal comhra? I would be happy to pay for your time (and effort), and would really just want fairly straightforward chats that would make me more comfortable in speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siofra Dempsey

Hi :)
    I'm studying Irish with French at Trinity, I speak fluently after five or six courses in the Gaeltacht, and I got an A1 in the Leaving Cert in Irish last year. I also live in Greystones.
    I'd be more than happy to give you language classes :)

I'm studying Irish with French at Trinity, I speak fluently after five or six courses in the Gaeltacht, and I got an A1 in the Leaving Cert in Irish last year. I also live in Greystones.

Wow, that sounds great! I just noticed that you have a post in the teaching/grinds forum, so I guess this means that you will be available through the summer.:) I'd love to chat more about this, so I'll pm you soon, if that's ok.

• Advertisement

I will actually be away for June and the three weeks from July 29th to August 12th, but I'm home for the rest of the summer. Sure, feel free to contact me, I'll give you my email if it's easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I'd like the offside rule in Gaelic by Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Ah Siofra, beating me to it!!!

....I'm not sitting beside you in lectures next year :D

I think I'm still gonna go ahead and try and start a conversation circle in a few weeks after exams if you're interested (you too Siofra). Looks like you're sorted for lessons jelly but sure pop along anyway, and if you want any extra lessons while Siofra's away just pm me, I'm around all summer.

........I got an A1 too btw :o:cool:

Thanks very much to both offers! I will definitely take up Siofra's as she was first in line, but I'd be happy to have lessons with you Woodsy when she's away...:)
    I'm also still interested in the conversation group, although I think that your Irish will be streets ahead of mine. But please count me in if you go ahead with this.

I will actually be away for June and the three weeks from July 29th to August 12th, but I'm home for the rest of the summer. Sure, feel free to contact me, I'll give you my email if it's easier?

Yeah, email would be great please.

• Advertisement

Sidempse@tcd.ie :)
    Also sorry Michael, fortune favours the quick, I guess? Mwahahahah see you in exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

Hi there, our good friend Ciara Watson runs the Naoinra at St Patricks church in greystones and she is a very friendly lady to get to know, and she would definitely be able to introduce you to others who want to speak irish. I know the parents of children who attend the gaelscoil get together to speak Irish too - if you contact the gaelscoil they would be able to give you details. Ciara is a great person to get in touch with initially as she knows everyone in the locality with an interest in the language (tell her the englishman who cant speak a word sent you!) :-)

Advertisement