Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

income protection

Options
  • 25-04-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi all hope someone can help i ahve an income protection policy and was diagnosed with depression before xmas i have since been unable to work and run my buisness so it closed, i have been to see all the doctors and all the requested info has been sent and i have waited the deferral period and i ahve also bben to see there Chief Medical Officer and she has even said i am unfit to work, i suppose my question is , are they actually going to pay out or is it a waste of time and energy dealing with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

check your policy and see if depression is covered.

to be honest, from looking at policies in the past, its unlikely to be.

sorry to hear of your situation, hope things improve for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veyron

cheers for that but i have checked it and it is covered and my broker has verified this as well but i suppose im just looking to see has anyone had any experience of the same cheers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Unless you were specifically excluded from it, yes, policies should cover people with depression and other mental health issues, in fact i believe it makes up the largest contingent of claiments (or possibly second after back problems).

That said, all claims are based on their own merits, but seeing as your claim has gone so far as to meet with the chief medical officer i would imagine they would have told you long ago if they didnt cover depression.

Best of luck and let us know how you get along!

cheers for that but you would swear by the way they are taking their time that it is a unique claim and the crap that i am going through its just adding to my probs at the moment

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

keep us posted here because there was a case and i never really knew the probable outcome .I really want to see how it goes .thanks !

• Advertisement

will do

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

In 2010, Irish Life paid out around €50 million in Income Protection claims to 2,873 people. Of these claims, 27% were for mental health. That's just one insurer, where I happen to have their claims statistics handy. So yes, Income Protection does pay out claims. If depression was excluded on your particular policy, your claim would never have got as far as The Chief Medical Officer.

cheers for that Liam things have moved on since last post and as my visit to the chief medical officer was done independently in Cork, i called her myself and she told me not to worry as she had the report compiled and just sent and that i was completely unfit for work and she had really stressed that in her report to them so heres hoping ill here something this week and i can put money worries out of my mind for awhile and get on with my recovery

hi all (paddyandy) got confirmation today that my claim has been admitted and that they are going to pay out what a relief i can now focus on getting better and get my life back on track without the worry of having no income coming in cheers for all the advice guys

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Keep us posted .

• Advertisement

hi all good news finally my claim came through and have been paid

Advertisement