Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on continuing with stronglifts program?

• 25-04-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Before I start I'd just like to say I'm not looking for medical advice just personal experience. I'm booked into the physio, but it's next week and I am just wondering if people think I am right in my assertions.

Basically I have just started the stronglifts 5x5 program after many months of planning to and I have come across a problem. I've just done my 4th session and I am having some dull pain in the middle of my back. I think I've narrowed down the culprit down to the Barbell Rows, as the first time I did them (which was Friday) I didn't have great technique because the gym had small 5kg weights and I had to bend down more than you should. The pain first came around Sunday night when I sat in a slouched position. Could barely sleep that night unfortunately, but I went to the gym the next morning regardless and felt no pain during the exercises. Obviously in that session I didn't do the barbell rows so I'm guessing this is why.

Today I did the session which included the barbell rows and I tried to raise the bar up more using other weights on the floor. During this I noticed that that part of my back was hurting so I concentrated on technique and eventually I could do a set without it hurting. I'd like to acknowledge that I find this exercise the hardest and I'm on the starting weight of 30kg including the bar. Could this be the culprit?

The reason I want to know this is that I want to continue on with the program regardless but obviously don't want to injure my back more. Should I continue on and just leave this exercise out?

Again I'd like to emphasize that I'm not looking for medical advice just personal experience.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

Probably shouldn't continue until after the physio

after that you could try switch it for dumbell rows or supported barbell rows
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CamberedBarLyingRow.html

or inverted rows
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/WTSupineRow.html
    which would all be easier on the lower back

subject to physio go ahead of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Thanks man. I guess it's the best idea to not continue until the physio but I'm really enjoying the workout at the moment. Something always seems to happen to me when I begin an exercise program haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The 5kg plates shouldn't matter unless you're trying to touch every rep off the floor. Which you shouldn't be doing with 5kg plates!!

I second physio advice and inverted rows.

Hanley wrote: »
    The 5kg plates shouldn't matter unless you're trying to touch every rep off the floor. Which you shouldn't be doing with 5kg plates!!

I second physio advice and inverted rows.
    Well yeah, as per stronglifts instructions, each rep was to touch the floor.
    So that was a big mistake by me. I did place two plates on the floor either side to rest the barbell on each rep but i still dont think this was ideal as it poses some balancing problems at the end. it was the best i could do tho. Im guessing years hunched over a desk doesnt help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SPBLuke

I found that I couldn't do barbell rows for SL properly until I use the biggest plates available, i.e 20/25kgs. Luckily my gym had 15kgs with very large diameter same as the 20kgs. But obviously I couldn't row 50kgs right away, it took quite a while to get to that point so until then I used two of those steps things in the gym to elevate the bar, see link.

Of course, don't do rows until you see the physio.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x170/f/a/fama0068-original_mini_fitness_step.jpg

• Advertisement

shizz wrote: »
    Well yeah, as per stronglifts instructions, each rep was to touch the floor.
    So that was a big mistake by me. I did place two plates on the floor either side to rest the barbell on each rep but i still dont think this was ideal as it poses some balancing problems at the end. it was the best i could do tho. Im guessing years hunched over a desk doesnt help either.

It's a mistake in the program! :)

SPBLuke wrote: »
    I found that I couldn't do barbell rows for SL properly until I use the biggest plates available, i.e 20/25kgs. Luckily my gym had 15kgs with very large diameter same as the 20kgs. But obviously I couldn't row 50kgs right away, it took quite a while to get to that point so until then I used two of those steps things in the gym to elevate the bar, see link.

Of course, don't do rows until you see the physio.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x170/f/a/fama0068-original_mini_fitness_step.jpg

Ah yes I must see if they are available. thanks man. How are you finding/found SL?
    It's a mistake in the program! :)
    I'm not sure if it's a mistake? As I understand it there are a few ways to do them.

This is a video they have as guidance

shizz wrote: »

This is a video they have as guidance

It's actually called a Pendlay Row after the guy who "invented it", but anyway...

The reason I said it's a "mistake" is because the program is targetted at beginners who don't realise doing it with 5kg plates is a terrible idea and end up hurting themselves, like you did. There should be an express qualification that they're only to be done with full sized plates, ensuring you've sufficient mobility and flexibility to do them safely! :)

It's actually called a Pendlay Row after the guy who "invented it", but anyway...

The reason I said it's a "mistake" is because the program is targetted at beginners who don't realise doing it with 5kg plates is a terrible idea and end up hurting themselves, like you did. There should be an express qualification that they're only to be done with full sized plates, ensuring you've sufficient mobility and flexibility to do them safely! :)

Ah sorry. I misunderstood the context you meant mistake in. Yeah I agree, but to be fair to them I remember reading that you should try get the 5k plates that are the same size as the large plates. But of course I went ahead anyway and hurt myself.

Thanks for your input :)

Advertisement