Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a UK bank account

Options
  • 25-04-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

I rent out a holiday home and I occasionally need to accept payment from UK customers who prefer bank transfers over PayPal. A lot of these don't understand that there's a difference between a domestic bank transfer and an IBAN transfer, I've lost a few customers who couldn't figure out the difference, and of those that do, some struggle with BIC codes etc.

If I could open a bank account in the UK/NI this would make things easier, anybody know if I can do this as an irish resident and citizen, and if any of the Irish banks have arrangements with UK banks?

I'm a PTSB customer -IEPBS ;-)

PS: I searched 'UK Bank account' on here and didn't find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I rent out a holiday home and I occasionally need to accept payment from UK customers who prefer bank transfers over PayPal. A lot of these don't understand that there's a difference between a domestic bank transfer and an IBAN transfer, I've lost a few customers who couldn't figure out the difference, and of those that do, some struggle with BIC codes etc.

If I could open a bank account in the UK/NI this would make things easier, anybody know if I can do this as an irish resident and citizen, and if any of the Irish banks have arrangements with UK banks?

I'm a PTSB customer -IEPBS ;-)

PS: I searched 'UK Bank account' on here and didn't find anything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74620025

Found this via boards.ie search, mabe this would be an option?

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

depending on how far away you live from the border, head to the North and all you need is a Bill with your address and passport and you can open a bank account in the North its very easy.. Yeah the BIC and IBAN has messed me up before trying go sell stuff online, paypal is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Yes. I think you can open a bank account in a country where you do not live usually. I've done it twice. It can take longer to do the admin. though. I think they have to do more checks. I was advised when I wanted to open a UK bank account back in 2006 that it might take up to 8 weeks, though in the end it was much less. Go online, look at a few UK accounts that might suit you, and contact the relevant bank to see what their procedures are.

PS - I didn't live anywhere near the border so walking into a UK bank wasn't really an option, but if you do, go with that.

Advertisement