Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take a daily multivitamin?

• 25-04-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

It is not something I have ever done, but after a recent visit to the doctor and on discovering my iron levels were very low, I took the advice given and bought some today.

So, anyone else take them on a daily basis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No, but I'll start. Used to as a kid, haven't done in years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Vitamin D when the sun is shining :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a vegetarian so I take a supplement.

eviltwin wrote: »

Do they taste like bacon?

Because if they don't taste like bacon you are seriously missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yakult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yes. Tesco 79c :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm a vegetarian too and have to take supplements - pork, beef and chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Used to, haven't for years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Why would you need a vitamin supplement with an iron deficiency? Surely it'd just be an iron supplement?

I've just started taking a b complex,it's meant to be good for lots of things that I could do with.and my diet isn't hugely varied so I could probably do with it.but I should really have checked up if I do need it first.

Oh and you can get sick from hypervitaminosis,so it's best not to take all these things full of extra vitamins if you don't need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I take a Vitamin B complex and a lutein supplement. There's AMD and dementia in my extended family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I eat bark and small pebbles to clean out my bowel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I can't believe no one mentioned Guinness .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I eat bark and small pebbles to clean out my bowel

I'll bet that stings on the way out.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

if your lacking in Iron you can buy like Iron tablets but the sachets of liquid gel tastes disgusting but it works! I use to take them because my iron levels were low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why would you need a vitamin supplement with an iron deficiency? Surely it'd just be an iron supplement?

I've just started taking a b complex,it's meant to be good for lots of things that I could do with.and my diet isn't hugely varied so I could probably do with it.but I should really have checked up if I do need it first.

Because my diet is lacking as I have have not been eating well in an attempt to save money (not ate much meat for instance) and it has come back and bit me on the bum.

My doctor thinks I should take it, so I have listened to him. I have not been eating as well as I should have for a while now and am physically wrecked from it.

If I had been eating better, I would have just got an iron supplement.

frogcheese wrote: »
    if your lacking in Iron you can buy like Iron tablets but the sachets of liquid gel tastes disgusting but it works! I use to take them because my iron levels were low.

Thanks, I heard of those!

Just wondering how you knew your iron level was low? I started noticing bruises that took longer to heal than normal, lost weight, tiredness.

The doctor looked at the skin under my eyes and looked a bit shocked. I saw why when I got home... instead of the pinky/red colour it was pale and white.

Am eating better now though.... hopefully it won't take too long for me to feel better again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Wow sunflower,hope you get better.doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Is there much in the way of proof that these mutlivitamin's work?

I drink loads of Guinness so no need to worry about my iron levels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes, although I probably shouldn't as the benefits are questionable if you're not aware of any deficiency in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

same. Tesco are good value on multivitamins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Thanks, I heard of those!

Just wondering how you knew your iron level was low? I started noticing bruises that took longer to heal than normal, lost weight, tiredness.

The doctor looked at the skin under my eyes and looked a bit shocked. I saw why when I got home... instead of the pinky/red colour it was pale and white.

Am eating better now though.... hopefully it won't take too long for me to feel better again. :)

Did he take blood tests ?
    How little were you eating ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't no. Always considered them to be for people with defieciancies and as far as I'm aware I don't have any.

Don't like the way they tend to be advertised as a way of boosting your intake and as a way to fix you up from something you lack in your diet.

I don't no. Always considered them to be for people with defieciancies and as far as I'm aware I don't have any.

Don't like the way they tend to be advertised as a way of boosting your intake and as a way to fix you up from something you lack in your diet.

Unless you're very conscientious about your diet you most likely are lacking in something, even by minute amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

It is not something I have ever done, but after a recent visit to the doctor and on discovering my iron levels were very low

How ironic.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had to take an iron supplement as baby is robbing all my good nutrients!

Galfer tablets are the ones I take. They are over the counter and a pharmacist can advise you if you need them or not. Just be aware that if you take a multivitamin that has iron in it that you might be doubling up and thats not good for you either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I don't particularily agree with taking daily vitamins. If you're run down, fair enough, or advised by a doctor to take a course of them, but not full time.

If you look at what is contained in some multi-vitamins, you'll see that some of them have over 100% of your Daily Recommended Allowance of some vitamins. Granted, this is only a recommendation, but you'll also get nutrients from your food.
    Overloading on all these vitamins in such an artificial fashion can't be healthy for you.

Did he take blood tests ?
    How little were you eating ?

I was eating hardly any meat and limited veg. I don't remember the last time I ate meat.... I was eating mainly carbs. Not a lot of them, but my diet was very carb-heavy - oatmeal, bread, rice.

I told the doctor I felt itchy on my back and arms but there was no rash and he said that can be the result of a high-carb diet. It can cause something called a fatty liver. It is somethingthat can fix itself easily when the diet improves. It really scared the hell out of me.

Paying my mortgage and bills is important, but not to the detriment of my health. It hit me last weekend. I was napping on/off all weekend. I knew something was very wrong.

I lost a bit of weight, too, but not a lot to warrant serious concern.

Concentration has been shot also.

In a nutshell, I have to eat a lot better and pay a few less bills on time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I do, but considering researching stopping. There was an interesting article in nutrition and diet about the interactions of some minerals and micro nutrients, not bad per se, but ineffective when taken together etc.

Oh sorry, no, no blood tests yet. I am to go back in 3 weeks if I am not feeling any better. He said from my description of my diet and the symptoms, a good diet will help improve everything.

He wanted to take them yesterday but I said please no (I have a mild phobia about needles and usually need to work myself up for a good while before I can have them done).

I will get them done if I don't feel better in a few weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

A daily dose of C but only combined with T and H.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I was taking some of that fish oil $hit for a while.
    Read the back and it says it increases estergen.

Now I just have to sit back and watch my new set of t!ts grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

It is not something I have ever done, but after a recent visit to the doctor and on discovering my iron levels were very low, I took the advice given and bought some today.

So, anyone else take them on a daily basis?

I've an old bike that im pretty sure is Iron you can have, bit of oil and it'l go down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Oh sorry, no, no blood tests yet. I am to go back in 3 weeks if I am not feeling any better. He said from my description of my diet and the symptoms, a good diet will help improve everything.

He wanted to take them yesterday but I said please no (I have a mild phobia about needles and usually need to work myself up for a good while before I can have them done).

I will get them done if I don't feel better in a few weeks. :)

According to your doctor you need the blood tests. Don't wait 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Due to the falling quality of food (particularly processed food), taking a multivitamin is a necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Yeah I've suffered anemia a few times so taking a multi vitamin with iron helps. You need to make sure you avoid caffeine when you're taking iron coz it will slow down the absorption but orange juice or a vitamin c drink will help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If I'm feeling rundown or am ill I'll take them. Found it helps me get over a cold that bit faster.

According to your doctor you need the blood tests. Don't wait 3 weeks

I think it is OK, the doc said whether I took the blood test there and then, he would tell me to sort my diet out and didn't think there was anything seriously wrong and that all my symptoms fitted in with a drastic change of diet and not eating well.

I will definitely go back if I don't improve.

Branbee - thanks for that tip about the caffeine. I do drink a fair bit of coffee so will curb that. Cheers.

Preddy, yeah, I'll take the bike. Don't have one of those! Can you drop it to me? I'd collect it, but I'm tired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

yup, I found the liquid iron ones to be good, my iron was lower than normal recently enough and took that. I was stressed at the time and found I had a lot more energy and jsut felt better in general when taking the iron supplement, but stopped taking it once iron levels returned to normal. They've stayed that way since. I'd usually take some kind of multivitamin, have digestive probs so am concerned about not always absorbing all the nutrients in my diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah
    Garlic, beetroot,
    And I eat like a pig which covers the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Yup. Perfectil Hair, Skin and Nails Fomula. They've really cleared up my skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

Yeah, I take multivitamins by Solgar. Two or three a day. You can get them at the Health Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What's the name of that fat burner I see advertised on the Box. It's waffles on about a capsule and a pill or something making you lose weight.
    Would that work for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I take those Centrum multivitamins because I don't eat meat, just fish. Tried to give blood a few weeks ago and was told my iron levels were low and I couldn't. Not sure if I should take the multivitamin because I probably get plenty of everything else in my diet. Not sure what to believe tbh. Seems to be lots of conflicting advice on the internet...like most things. One thing I noticed since taking them though is my hair and skin look much better than normal, so that's deadly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

What's the name of that fat burner I see advertised on the Box. It's waffles on about a capsule and a pill or something making you lose weight.
    Would that work for me?

Walking to the shops to get it would probably burn more fat than actually taking it.

/Honest opinion not based on medical evidence. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I don't think taking a full multivitamin every day is especially healthy, for most people.

It's taking vitamins in a format that is super-concentrated and may be missing other synergistic nutrients from food.

I think something giving on average 50% of the RDAs for most people would be good enough, perhaps better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Mickey H wrote: »
    Walking to the shops to get it would probably burn more fat than actually taking it.

/Honest opinion not based on medical evidence. :D
    I was just going to order it online, its called CLA24/7 to any other obese people out there looking to tone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Berocca for breakfast every morning. Bloody delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Yup, I take serious meds for my psoriasis & psoriatic arthritis. They've pretty much turned off my immune system and are like a mild form of chemotherapy. I take a vivioptal, b complex, folic acid and iron sachet (iron tablets like ferrograd give me constipation) every morning. I also have pernicious anaemia so need fortnightly B12 injections too :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement