Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take a daily multivitamin?

Comments

I take Vitamin C when I'm hungover or have a cold, and I take Pharmaton when I'm feeling rundown (usually just around exam time).

Be careful though, supplements are not absorbed efficiently by the body, so you should just use them as a bit of a crutch while you get your diet sorted out. Relying on food sources should be your goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was just going to order it online, its called CLA24/7 to any other obese people out there looking to tone up.

Surely it'll just be flabbing down.

:pac:

You'd need to exercise to "tone up."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The vast majority of multi-vitamins are complete balls.

Just eat some red meat if you are low in iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I take pharmaton, morEPA fish oils and a probiotic. After 2 months of getting every virus going I need a boost for a while! 2 weeks into this regime and I'm feeling much better; I'll keep it going for 4-6 more weeks and hopefully I'll be back on form by then.

I always thought that if you took in too many vitamins/minerals in supplement form, your body would just expel them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I drink some multivitamin juice each morning with a yogurt and an apple. Figure that'll do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Surely it'll just be flabbing down.

:pac:

You'd need to exercise to "tone up."
    Nah **** that, this pill burns all the fat away.
    There's one taken at lunch time to destroy all the food you eat, and another at night that eats your fat while you sleep.
    I'm hoping to get to 15stone by Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I take Vitamin C tablets and fish oil capsules.

Taking Acai berrys at the moment also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nah **** that, this pill burns all the fat away.
    There's one taken at lunch time to destroy all the food you eat, and another at night that eats your fat while you sleep.
    I'm hoping to get to 15stone by Xmas.

You'd need to seriously think about this. Considering the yanks are so big into taking pills to solve their problems. If there was such a pill and it did work, there'd be no fat Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Is there much in the way of proof that these mutlivitamin's work?

As far as I know, not really. There are some people whose diets don't cover all their nutritional needs, so if you get advised to take multivitamins by your doctor, then you should. Though generally you would be only advised to take specific vitamins you need.

But your body only needs a certain amount of vitamins or minerals, and it is possible to take so much that they become toxic. This is especially true of iron, so you shouldn't take iron unless you have been specifically told you have a deficiency. Multivitamins should not replace healthy eating, or make up for unhealthy eating and unnecessary long term use of vitamin A or E supplements may shorten your life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/apr/16/medicalresearch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have MS, so I take omega oils, vit. B complex and Vit. D.The vegetables we all eat tend to be less than farm fresh so you might not be getting all the goodness they should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

jokettle wrote: »
    I always thought that if you took in too many vitamins/minerals in supplement form, your body would just expel them?
    As far as I know only vitamin C. Other vitamins are not expelled and can do some damage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning

I had to take iron when I lost too much blood once and after birth (I was ok during pregnancy). I normally don't have any problems with blood and I also eat a lot of fruit, veg and fish at least twice per week, so I don't bother with any multivitamins, fortified milk or actimel and similar rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

err OP just take the iron, use cronometer to see what nutrients youre getting from your food, If I'm eating plenty of fruit and veg I'm fine but if I log my food with a multivitamin some of my vitamins are blown out tens of times over and taking too much of some vitamins can do you damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I take one on the days when I don't think I'll have the time or opportunity to get a good meal in, and wash it down with a bit of jerky and whatever carbs are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

why do centrum with the same amount of vitamins cost 10 times as much as the tesco equivalent which gives you the same rda per tablet?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i take a lot of daily multi vitamins.......they have been proved beyond doubt to keep you healthy...........they are called.....FOOD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I sometimes get injections for b12. Hospital notified me that I'm now vitamin D deficient, so I'll have to take supplements for that. Stupid body doesn't seem to be working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I sometimes get injections for b12. Hospital notified me that I'm now vitamin D deficient, so I'll have to take supplements for that. Stupid body doesn't seem to be working properly.

I can't believe they recommend tablets for this, instead of just telling you to get outside for 10 minutes a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I eat a reasonably varied and balanced diet, so probably get enough from food.

Unless you have a specific deficiency multi-vitamins probably won't make any significant difference to your health, they're just a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I take one with my cup of tea every morning and have done for the last few years. I've noticed a positive difference in my health since then which probably isn't directly attributable to this but I'm sure it plays its own small part. The bottle of 30 costs seven euros or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I can't believe they recommend tablets for this, instead of just telling you to get outside for 10 minutes a day.

It does seem a bit nuts, but maybe with the weather we're having... Having said that, if your body isn't processing the vitamin from the usual way (through skin for vitamin D, yeah?) maybe tablets are considered better. I can't physically absorb b12, hence the injections, so maybe it's something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Dave! wrote: »

Unless you have a specific deficiency multi-vitamins probably won't make any significant difference to your health, they're just a waste of money.

Not many eat a truly varied diet though, I'd wager most people no matter how healthy are lacking in something or other.

I take a multi vitamin and cod liver oil pills and I feel slightly more or less the same as before except better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Multivitamin and supplement pills are a multi-billion dollar industry, often with little or no proven benefits over placebo. I think some have even been shown to have negative effects compared to control. Beta-carotene & vitamin E have been shown to slightly increase the risk of developing lung cancer overall when taken as a preventative measure.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199404143301501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It does seem a bit nuts, but maybe with the weather we're having... Having said that, if your body isn't processing the vitamin from the usual way (through skin for vitamin D, yeah?) maybe tablets are considered better. I can't physically absorb b12, hence the injections, so maybe it's something like that.

I'm not claiming to have a medical background here, so I couldn't say if it's the same for vitamin D. I realise B12 is a problem for people, hence the injections. but no, as far as I know, it shouldn't be a problem like that. Though yeah persistent cloud cover may affect it, however I'm not sure that as much as people do like to complain about our weather, that we actually have it that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Did you see outside today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Dave! wrote: »

Indeed, and for somebody with a reasonable diet any deficiency will likely be as a result of an underlying condition, possible defects in absorption and metabolism - not always best treated by increasing quantity taken.

Also GDA/RDAs are just that - guideline/recommended. You won't suffer adverse health effect because you take 90% of your Vit C intake or 110% Vit A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Berocca is the greatest load of bollox.
    You can also get the exact same thing repackaged in Aldi for a fraction of the price.

I rarely take any vitamins because I have no idea if they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

A spoonful of Manuka honey every Morning does me. I wasn't sick at all during winter and I'd be the type that would pick up every bug going. Have found it very beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mooeygooey

I take a multivitamin and a flaxseed capsule every morning. I don't have a big breakfast though so sort of feel that I'd be lacking in nutrients if I didn't. If I had a big brekkie, like at the weekend, then I don't really bother!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Love how they sell them these days. The ads with the photogenic people being the best that they can be, high performance people, in the boardroom, in SPORT! and in the sack.

I was told after I had some blood tests that I had some deficiencies and was given tablets in the hospital, When they ran out I popped into the pharmacy where I learnt that the multivitamins had negligible amounts of what I needed, some of them were up there with homeopathy. Pharmacist sent me back to the doctor for a prescription.

I gather serious deficiencies are often symptoms of underlying conditions and that for most of us normal diets will do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Is there much in the way of proof that these mutlivitamin's work?

you dont need proof when there is science ;) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never did before but started taking omega 3 the other day as I dont think I eat too much of it.

I wouldnt take a multivitamin as that often has things you dont want to have more of as well as the thing you do want to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Yeah I've started taking Omega 3 lately too, I don't eat enough fish. Sometimes have to take iron tablets due to mild anaemia- they can be hard on your tummy though. Remember OP that you need to make sure to have plenty of Vit C if you're taking iron cos it won't absorb properly if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Just the recommended daily intake of vitamin A X 100,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

IM0 wrote: »

wat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

A spoonful of Manuka honey every Morning does me. I wasn't sick at all during winter and I'd be the type that would pick up every bug going. Have found it very beneficial

This the "proper" Manuka Honey from NZ? the €12 one?

Im on Green Tea capsules
    and Cod liver oil cos I dont eat fish

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Been meaning to start, was recommended to start it, apparently its helpful if your in the gym a lot, having bothered going to pick anything up yet though.

Guy I work with takes them, dunno why though he doesn't work out and eats ****e, I dont think they will do him much good

Just the recommended daily intake of vitamin A X 100,000

Too much vitamin A is toxic:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001390/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Approx 90% of all vitamins are made with synthetic chemicals and binders,hence the cheap prices .You should always go for a pure vitamin .
    most elderly people are deficient in B12 ,and B12 deficient elderly people have dementia...and the biggest robber of B!2?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chicken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

What's the name of that fat burner I see advertised on the Box. It's waffles on about a capsule and a pill or something making you lose weight.
    Would that work for me?
    They do not work and they will result in further weight increases after you finish them,this is proven to be the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

IM0 wrote: »

Ok :confused:

So is there any science that proves benefits from the taking of multivitamins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Ok :confused:

So is there any science that proves benefits from the taking of multivitamins?

You can't really generalise like that...

...I mean, you can, but it's kind of like, you know, meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MungBean wrote: »
    Not many eat a truly varied diet though, I'd wager most people no matter how healthy are lacking in something or other.

I take a multi vitamin and cod liver oil pills and I feel slightly more or less the same as before except better.

To be honest it's pretty hard to be lacking in a vitamin or mineral without a very strong specific stress on the body or a medical issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Peanut wrote: »
    You can't really generalise like that...

...I mean, you can, but it's kind of like, you know, meaningless

I dont even know how i was generalising and im not sure how to reply to you!

:eek:

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Approx 90% of all vitamins are made with synthetic chemicals and binders,hence the cheap prices .You should always go for a pure vitamin .
    most elderly people are deficient in B12 ,and B12 deficient elderly people have dementia...and the biggest robber of B!2?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chicken

How does chicken rob B12 ? Never heard that before. Explain please.

To be honest it's pretty hard to be lacking in a vitamin or mineral without a very strong specific stress on the body or a medical issue.

Makes sense.

If you have a bad diet or are dieting to lose weight though your not gonna be getting the amount of stuff you normally would.

As a dietary supplement they would be beneficial to someone reducing their food intake or not eating properly wouldnt they ?

• Advertisement

Come on Robbie lets not play games, fess up and let that be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

lol ok.. how about this..

Has it been conclusively proven that a bag of Tayto is good for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I never used to take vitamin supplements but I started about a year ago. I take a multivitamin tablet, fibre tablet, fish oil tablet and a calcium tablet every day. Have to say, my skin is in great condition now. Coldsores are a thing of the past aswell - I used to be prone to those feckers but not since I started taking vitamins and mineral supplements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

MungBean wrote: »
    Makes sense.

If you have a bad diet or are dieting to lose weight though your not gonna be getting the amount of stuff you normally would.

As a dietary supplement they would be beneficial to someone reducing their food intake or not eating properly wouldnt they ?

Losing weight with a diet that affects intake of essential nutrients is stupid. More often than not you would eat more veg and fruit which should actually increase the intake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement