Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take a daily multivitamin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Peanut wrote: »
    lol ok.. how about this..

Has it been conclusively proven that a bag of Tayto is good for you?

Do we sell bags of Tayto as being beneficial to health?

I never used to take vitamin supplements but I started about a year ago. I take a multivitamin tablet, fibre tablet, fish oil tablet and a calcium tablet every day. Have to say, my skin is in great condition now. Coldsores are a thing of the past aswell - I used to be prone to those feckers but not since I started taking vitamins and mineral supplements.

Did you make any other changes to your lifestyle in adddition to the vitamins, for example did you stop kissing trashy whores with cold sore riddled lips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm taking vivioptal at the moment. I go on it a couple of times a year for a boost. That's it though. Stuff is rocket fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I never used to take vitamin supplements but I started about a year ago. I take a multivitamin tablet, fibre tablet, fish oil tablet and a calcium tablet every day. Have to say, my skin is in great condition now. Coldsores are a thing of the past aswell - I used to be prone to those feckers but not since I started taking vitamins and mineral supplements.

Lysine is also amazing for coldsores. I took it daily and never got one for as long as I was on them (I get them sometimes when I'm hormonal - ovulating, or on the rag). I got bored sticking to the routine though and now just take a handful when I feel one of the little b&stards coming on. Makes them go away about 3 times as fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

AH really shows you the assumptions the general public makes and lack of research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

AH really shows you the assumptions the general public makes and lack of research

Its not like its unfounded assumptions though and its not limited to the general public. My Doctor actually recommended I take a multivitamin, I asked the local pharmacist and they recommended one. Now it seems my Doctor is uninformed and my pharmacist was after a quick buck. I made the mistake of assuming they were competent not assuming multivitamins were a miracle based on some bint with a sparkling smile on tv.

Its not just the ignorant masses that thinks/thought there are benefits. From the little research I did today it seems that scientific bodies actually backed multivitamins not so long ago and they have been marketed that way since. You cant expect opions to change along with a scientific study not widely talked about when it cost a hell of a lot in terms of marketing to establish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MungBean wrote: »
    Makes sense.

If you have a bad diet or are dieting to lose weight though your not gonna be getting the amount of stuff you normally would.

As a dietary supplement they would be beneficial to someone reducing their food intake or not eating properly wouldnt they ?

There is a pretty big threshold between base calorific requirement and minimum vit/min requirement though. Otherwise extended periods of poor nutrition or food deprivation would kill a lot quicker than they do.

I mean, no doubt if you are on a diet/restricted meal plan of long term sick then you can benefit from a multi-vitamin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Lack of iron can be a sign of caeliac disease. Where when your body takes in gluten it shuts down the bodies ability to digest iron , so a dose of iron wont help if you have this. Id ask for the test.
    AH response
    If a golfer lacks iron he uses his wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is this in reference to anything in particular ? Be specific - there's at least 5 different things being discussed in the last page alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I take a good amount of B12 everyday along with Omega fish Oil. Berocca and the like are good for a boost and I take them every so often. If I don't get enough Iron through my diet then I might take an Iron supplement.

B12 deficiency is something I've read up a lot on and it's something that can affect a person without them knowing. There are a lot of general symptoms that could indicate anything and people can have any number of symptoms. The body also compensates, or tries to, masking some symptoms.*
    I won't go into a great deal but physical and mental tiredness as well as depression/anxiety and fogginess of mind are all symptoms of B12 deficiency.
    B12 deficiency leads to Anemia.
    It doesn't seem to be something that a lot of doctors are aware of or something that anyone takes seriously but it should be.

*if you think you're unwell see a medical professional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Do we sell bags of Tayto as being beneficial to health?

It's irrelevant to the question, which was "Has it been proven that they are beneficial?"

Now if you are phrasing such a question expecting a simple yes or no answer, then the question itself is going to be a bit lacking, and any answers even more so.

Incidentally, a bag of Tayto contains at least some minerals, vitamins, carbohydrate, fat, protein and fibre.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Lack of iron can be a sign of caeliac disease. Where when your body takes in gluten it shuts down the bodies ability to digest iron , so a dose of iron wont help if you have this. Id ask for the test.
    AH response
    If a golfer lacks iron he uses his wood.

Caeliac disease blocks absorption of nutrients in general. Iron, B12 (as in my above post) and others. Eliminating gluten from a persons diet should show if it effects them in a relatively short amount of time.
    Also a lot of people can be sensitive to gluten without having full on Cealiacs. Taking gluten out of a diet isn't that much effort for a week or so, and then if there's an improvement in health, great.

Peanut wrote: »
    It's irrelevant to the question, which was "Has it been proven that they are beneficial?"

Now if you are phrasing such a question expecting a simple yes or no answer, then the question itself is going to be a bit lacking, and any answers even more so.

Incidentally, a bag of Tayto contains at least some minerals, vitamins, carbohydrate, fat, protein and fibre.

Dear Peanut, seeing as you are now attempting to question the structure of my question I believe I have a further question for you!

Why are you misquoting my question?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is this in reference to anything in particular ? Be specific - there's at least 5 different things being discussed in the last page alone.

Main ones that stood out are how RDAs work and the assumption that all multi's are equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Roxy.Randrome

Take a multivitamin and evening primrose oil in the morning. Coming up to exams and at the moment, take aldi version of berrocca due to being run down due to stress and getting theses in.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Shryke wrote: »
    I take a good amount of B12 everyday along with Omega fish Oil. Berocca and the like are good for a boost and I take them every so often. If I don't get enough Iron through my diet then I might take an Iron supplement.

B12 deficiency is something I've read up a lot on and it's something that can affect a person without them knowing. There are a lot of general symptoms that could indicate anything and people can have any number of symptoms. The body also compensates, or tries to, masking some symptoms.*
    I won't go into a great deal but physical and mental tiredness as well as depression/anxiety and fogginess of mind are all symptoms of B12 deficiency.
    It doesn't seem to be something that a lot of doctors are aware of or something that anyone takes seriously but it should be.

+ a MILLION!!!!!

Was unwell for years, was told I was hormonal, depressed, had the flu, was a hypochondriac, its all in your head etc etc.

I fainted after donating blood about 2 years ago, could hardly move the next day. Doc eventually did full blood workup, my b12 levels were ridiculously low, iirc the figure was in the 50s (it should be in the high hundreds!) I now inject b12 about twice a month!! B12 is just so fricking important people!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm not claiming to have a medical background here, so I couldn't say if it's the same for vitamin D. I realise B12 is a problem for people, hence the injections. but no, as far as I know, it shouldn't be a problem like that. Though yeah persistent cloud cover may affect it, however I'm not sure that as much as people do like to complain about our weather, that we actually have it that bad.

I checked vitamin D deficiency (online, so it must be true). Apparently it's the same as rickets, so there's an issue with bone degeneration and other fun things. I'm on steroids for a condition, and apparently the steroids can cause serious bone problems if I'm on them for any significant period of time. So, maybe they're just being overly cautious. Also, the condition and the steroids seem to make my body have difficulty performing basic functions, so maybe there is some sort of crazy affect on my skin absorbing the sunlight. /Boring personal story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

now more than ever people need multivitamins and minerals. caffeine, alcohol, processed sugar, soda have all been shown to rob vitamins from the body. i started taken multivitamins over a month ago and feel terrific. way more relaxed and my insomnia is beginning to disappear.

berroca is expensive becasue tesco can afford to undercut the these companies. you can make the same argument with dolmio sauce and tesco pasta sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I take "lecitin" granules to emulsify fats in the body and keep the blood flowing

• Advertisement

I was just going to order it online, its called CLA24/7 to any other obese people out there looking to tone up.

CLA is a scam. From nutrition forum:
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    I just this minute finished going through my notes on CLA for an exam next week and I cn tell you it's a waste of money.

From my notes (sorry it's so big I'm cutting and pasting them from a word file and can't seem to make it any smaller);

Animal studies show that CLA can reduce adiposity and increase lean body mass and these changes seem to be associated with t-10,c12

Studies in humans are contradictory.

Terpstra (2004) reviewed the evidence and suggests that results indicate that the effect of CLA on body fat is considerably less than that anticipated from mice studies.

A review of evidence suggests that CLA had no significant effect on body weight or body weight gain in humans [Terpstra, 2004]

Of 8 studies, only 2 found an effect on body fat mass (and the subjects in these studies participated in light or intensive training program) [Terpstra, 2004]

Furthermore;

In humans, CLA (as a mixture of isomers) improved fasting blood glucose, but CLA has also been shown to increase insulin resistance in mice and obese men with metabolic syndrome

In humans, t-10,c-12 CLA increased insulin resistance, fasting blood glucose levels and dyslipidemia.

Most supplements contain mixtures of two CLA isomers: the cis-9, trans-11 isomer (the predominant CLA isomer in milk and beef) as well as the trans-10, cis-12 (t10c12) isomer.

It is the trans-10, cis-12 isomer that is linked to many adverse side effects.

Research indicates that supplementation with t10c12 CLA dramatically increases rates of oxidative stress, to levels considerably higher than that observed in heavy smokers.

There are no effective OTC fat burners.

poppyvally wrote: »
    I take "lecitin" granules to emulsify fats in the body and keep the blood flowing

i excercise to emulsify the fats in my body. hows that working for ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There are no effective OTC fat burners.

I'm gonna bold that just because of the healthy dose of truth it contains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I take a concentrated fruit supplement called 'Amrit Kalash.'

YFlyer wrote: »
    I take a concentrated fruit supplement called 'Amrit Kalash.'

whats in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Am I the only one that thought Teddy's posts about the weight loss pill was a joke? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Am I the only one that thought Teddy's posts about the weight loss pill was a joke? :p

Tbh it seemed unusual for Teddy as he posts in the health & fitness forum but thought it best for others to see the info as well. Especially considering I passed several pharmacies on my way home whom were pushing that CLA product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i take vitamin C (immune system) everyday buy a tesco brand save few quid on the expensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Nodferatu wrote: »
    i take vitamin C (immune system) everyday buy a tesco brand save few quid on the expensive ones.

There's supposedly no definitive proof that vitamin c does anything for your immune system,but it's in quite a few fruits and vegetables so why not just up your intake of them,once you look into which have it?

There's supposedly no definitive proof that vitamin c does anything for your immune system,but it's in quite a few fruits and vegetables so why not just up your intake of them,once you look into which have it?

totally unsubstantiated claim

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »
    totally unsubstantiated claim

:confused: that there's vitamin c in fruits and vegetables?

To point a few things out about Vit C below. Vit C is important and it's good for the immune system. I don't see any reason to tell a poster that they should go looking at their diet. Their diet might be fine, they want that boost they feel they get from taking something extra. This is a thread about nutritional supplements after all.

The most prominent role of vitamin C is its immune stimulating effect, which is important for the defence against infections such as common colds. It also acts as an inhibitor of histamine, a compound that is released during allergic reactions. As a powerful antioxidant it can neutralise harmful free radicals and aids in neutralising pollutants and toxins. Thus it is able to prevent the formation of potentially carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach (due to consumption of nitrite-containing foods, such as smoked meat). Importantly, vitamin C is also able to regenerate other antioxidants such as vitamin E. Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of collagen, the intercellular “cement” substance which gives structure to muscles, vascular tissues, bones, tendons and ligaments. Due to these functions vitamin C, especially in combination with zinc, is important for the healing of wounds. Vitamin C contributes to the health of teeth and gums, preventing haemorrhaging and bleeding. It also improves the absorption of iron from the diet, and is needed for the metabolism of bile acids, which may have implications for blood cholesterol levels and gallstones. In addition, vitamin C plays an important role in the synthesis of several important peptide hormones and neurotransmitters and carnitine. Finally, vitamin C is also a crucial factor in the eye's ability to deal with oxidative stress, and can delay the progression of advanced age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and vision-loss in combination with other antioxidant vitamins and zinc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

To point a few things out about Vit C below. Vit C is important and it's good for the immune system. I don't see any reason to tell a poster that they should go looking at their diet. Their diet might be fine, they want that boost they feel they get from taking something extra. This is a thread about nutritional supplements after all.

The most prominent role of vitamin C is its immune stimulating effect, which is important for the defence against infections such as common colds. It also acts as an inhibitor of histamine, a compound that is released during allergic reactions. As a powerful antioxidant it can neutralise harmful free radicals and aids in neutralising pollutants and toxins. Thus it is able to prevent the formation of potentially carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach (due to consumption of nitrite-containing foods, such as smoked meat). Importantly, vitamin C is also able to regenerate other antioxidants such as vitamin E. Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of collagen, the intercellular “cement” substance which gives structure to muscles, vascular tissues, bones, tendons and ligaments. Due to these functions vitamin C, especially in combination with zinc, is important for the healing of wounds. Vitamin C contributes to the health of teeth and gums, preventing haemorrhaging and bleeding. It also improves the absorption of iron from the diet, and is needed for the metabolism of bile acids, which may have implications for blood cholesterol levels and gallstones. In addition, vitamin C plays an important role in the synthesis of several important peptide hormones and neurotransmitters and carnitine. Finally, vitamin C is also a crucial factor in the eye's ability to deal with oxidative stress, and can delay the progression of advanced age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and vision-loss in combination with other antioxidant vitamins and zinc.
    Do you actually work for Quali-C, or do you just swallow all their propaganda?!

http://www.quali-c.com/dn_vitamin-c-functions/
    The most prominent role of vitamin C is its immune-stimulating effect, e.g., important for defence against infections such as common colds. It also acts as an inhibitor of histamine, a compound that is released during allergic reactions. As a powerful antioxidant it can neutralize harmful free radicals and it aids in neutralizing pollutants and toxins. Thus it is able to prevent the formation of potentially carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach (due to consumption of nitrite-containing foods, such as smoked meat).

Importantly, vitamin C is also able to regenerate other antioxidants such as vitamin E. Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of collagen, the intercellular "cement" substance which gives structure to muscles, vascular tissues, bones, tendons and ligaments. Due to these functions, vitamin C – especially in combination with zinc – is also important for the healing of wounds.

In many countries, including our own, the supplement industry is completely unregulated. They can say what they want, or use weasel words if they want to avoid getting in legal trouble.

Vitamin supplements are helpful in specific cases or for specific deficiencies, but in general when you compare them to placebo there's no difference.

Dave! wrote: »
    Do you actually work for Quali-C, or do you just swallow all their propaganda?!

http://www.quali-c.com/dn_vitamin-c-functions/

In many countries, including our own, the supplement industry is completely unregulated. They can say what they want, or use weasel words if they want to avoid getting in legal trouble.

Vitamin supplements are helpful in specific cases or for specific deficiencies, but in general when you compare them to placebo there's no difference.

Yes I work for them. Or maybe I don't? Hmm. I would expect most of anyone to know a quoted block of text. The site it came from isn't as prominent an issue as the information included or if you have a problem with the site I decided to grab that from you can find a host data from different places.
    If anything you could at least address the content of the article in a less belligerent manner.

I never thought I'd be getting into a debate as to whether Vitamins were healthy or not. I never thought I'd see the day. Vitamin propaganda? Weasel words? Get real please. That is hyperbole of the highest order.
    Those Vitamin guys are some real loose canons, ya. :D

Vitamins are essential nutrients for a healthy body and mind. When compared to placebos, Vitamins are real and placebos aren't. That's in general and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Very true, I think this all started because a famous chemist, Linus Pauling - probably the greatest in the 20th century, extolled its virtues. Vit C is essential alright unless you want to suffer from scurvy* me maties, but immune benefits and curing/preventing colds & flu is complete bunkum.

Goes to show that scientists, no matter how famous, should always have their work and ideas critically examined.

*The fact that scurvy is extremely rare these days would indicate that people receive enough vitamin C in their diet already.

Though I didn't actually say Vitamin C does nothing, more specifically I didn't say that it has nothing to do with the immune system. I said supposedly it doesn't.

but anyway, with a simple google search...the Mayo Clinic have said it's very much not proven that vitamin c has any significant effect on the immune system

I use vit c for diuretic effect. 3 grams is usually enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

paky wrote: »
    i excercise to emulsify the fats in my body. hows that working for ya?

Brilliant! actually. I walk 4 miles most days & I attend the cardio gym twice a week. How's that for ya!

Vitamins are essential nutrients for a healthy body and mind. When compared to placebos, Vitamins are real and placebos aren't. That's in general and all.
    The comparison was between vitamin supplements and placebo. And by the way the placebo effect is real and well-documented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I don't take milk in anything, can't stand it, so I take a daily supplement with the rda of calcium. I do eat yogurt, a little cheese but not often enough to get enough calcium in my diet naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Do you suffer from anxiety, (not a smartass question by the way)?.

Do you suffer from anxiety, (not a smartass question by the way)?.

I wonder why you specifically ask about that? No problem answering but i'm wondering where you're coming from.

I wonder why you specifically ask about that? No problem answering but i'm wondering where you're coming from.
    I seem to get a lot of anxiety from time to time myself.
    For example tonight I couldn't think clearly or concentrate. I'm just completely on edge. My head seems to be moving a million miles a second. It's actually worse than more times.
    I just interested in what might stop this from happening.

I seem to get a lot of anxiety from time to time myself.
    For example tonight I couldn't think clearly or concentrate. I'm just completely on edge. My head seems to be moving a million miles a second. It's actually worse than more times.
    I just interested in what might stop this from happening.

try magnesium

Ok cool. Well I have been there. It can be fairly crippling and it's horrible when combined with depression. Also I would have had terrible focus and memory would be hit and miss.

I could be so scattered I would have a laptop in front of me and the tv on and a book beside me and just not be comfortable. Not feel able to just relax. Being social could be tough with the tiredness, anxiousness and the feeling down. Its one hell of a thing. I might not be explaining too well at the mo. Typing on my phone.

Anxiety was a big part of it I have to say. Knowing something was wrong or amiss with myself and feeling the worry about that was fairly awful at times. I don't suffer it anymore now that I know whats up. All i can say is having my health will never stop amazing and pleasing me.

Getting a test is the way to go. How are you doing. Not too bad I hope?

Ok cool. Well I have been there. It can be fairly crippling and it's horrible when combined with depression. Also I would have had terrible focus and memory would be hit and miss.

I could be so scattered I would have a laptop in front of me and the tv on and a book beside me and just not be comfortable. Not feel able to just relax. Being social could be tough with the tiredness, anxiousness and the feeling down. Its one hell of a thing. I might not be explaining too well at the mo. Typing on my phone.

Anxiety was a big part of it I have to say. Knowing something was wrong or amiss with myself and feeling the worry about that was fairly awful at times. I don't suffer it anymore now that I know whats up. All i can say is having my health will never stop amazing and pleasing me.

Getting a test is the way to go. How are you doing. Not too bad I hope?
    I don't suffer with depression so it's not as bad. I still have major anxiety right now though and just there I got a rush through my head as if I was drunk.
    I've diagnosed myself on this though ever only. How would I find out for definite?

I don't suffer with depression so it's not as bad. I still have major anxiety right now though and just there I got a rush through my head as if I was drunk.
    I've diagnosed myself on this though ever only. How would I find out for definite?
    ehhh.....a doctor perhaps?

Time to sleep then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Eh why is everyone liking those two vegetarian comments on page 1? I don't understand

Advertisement