Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Allocations

Options
  • 25-04-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me where I can look up which batches of potential mobile numbers are allocated to which networks/service providers? I know this info is available online somewhere, I just can't find it....

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As far as number ranges are concerned, after the prefix, each carrier can use any number. It used to be the case [a good few years ago] that ComReg [or whatever they were called] allocated a range of numbers to a mobile provider. No other provider could use these. This allowed for quasi number portability. So if you had O2 086 1234567, you could port over to Vodafone and be guaranteed 087 1234567. That's not the case anymore. Now we have full number portability so you bring your prefix to Vodafone too. every operator can use seven digit every number , generally speaking.

The prefixes

081 - Unused
    082 - Eirpage
    083 - Three
    084 - Unused
    085 - Meteor / eMobile [MVNO]
    086 - O2
    087 - Vodafone
    088 - Digiweb 4G [not sure if it's actually being used at the moment]
    089 - MVNO - Tesco, 48 Months, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can anybody tell me where I can look up which batches of potential mobile numbers are allocated to which networks/service providers? I know this info is available online somewhere, I just can't find it....

Cheers :)

What are you trying to do?

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/numbering_search.599.numbering.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RangeR wrote: »
    It used to be the case [a good few years ago] that ComReg [or whatever they were called] allocated a range of numbers to a mobile provider. No other provider could use these.

That's not quite true, my brother had a mobile number from one of the networks and he succeeded in getting the same number from another network for his wife so their mobile numbers differred only by the prefix. This was before full portability was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

coylemj wrote: »
    That's not quite true, my brother had a mobile number from one of the networks and he succeeded in getting the same number from another network for his wife so their mobile numbers differred only by the prefix. This was before full portability was introduced.

Really? Without pulling any strings or exerting "influence"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

O2 did have a "Choose your number" offer some years back. Maybe this was how they got it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I remember when I was on o2 I had to get my number changed and when I was in the o2 shop I was asked what number I want? I couldn't think of one straigth away they said what about your DOB 0861260412 (example) so they changed to that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RangeR wrote: »
    Really? Without pulling any strings or exerting "influence"?

I don't think Comreg or it's predecessor had any influence over or got involved with number allocation within each network i.e. Eircell in their day could allocate any 087 xxxxx number they wished. There might have been a gentleman's agreement between the networks that at least for the first few years of mobile networks they didn't assign overlapping numbers unless someone asked for a specific number but as soon as each network exhausted it's unofficial allocation, it was open season.

I recall that in the early days there was no mobile number starting with 0 or 1 but that's all changed now as well.

Advertisement