Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with this lump of HAM!

Options
  • 25-04-2012 4:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

A pal of mine in the food game dropped this in the back of me jeep the other day, and said to me "enjoy" - nothing wrong with it at all, just have it in the fridge wrapped up.

He told me it can taste a bit "soapy" in large chunks as its for deli slicing etc for ham sambos.......but I'd like to make a nice ham dinner/meal out of it.

Suggestions please (to avoid the soapyness), and btw- I'm no chef/expert cook......but can do the basics.;)

Thanks........

Ham.jpg

Ham2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The first idea off the top of my head is to heat up thick slices and serve with strong flavoured bechamel based sauce, maybe parsley and mustard sauce, or a white wine sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thick ham slices fried. Eggs fried soft. Boiled potatoes fried.

Breakfast/Lunch/dinner of kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

It looks like a smoked ham.... in that case you could bake it until hot (probably about an hour) and make a nice glaze for it - pour it over then continue baking for another half hour until the glaze browns:

Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the about 6 tablespoons of butter, 1 whole orange sliced thin, juice of another 1-2 oranges, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of water, and some cinnamon and cloves. Slowly cook the liquid down to a syrupy glaze; this should take about 30 to 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Pasta bake!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chicken and ham pie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Ham and olive cake

It's a nice savoury cake that work's well as a pre-dinner nibble or on the side with some soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Quiche Lorraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

How about a giant roll? If i had that I'd invite friends over and buy a whole baguette, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar and some hellmans. Id slice it as thin as possible and blanch it in beef stock to warm it up and get some life back into it. Top with the veggies and and make a little balsamic vinaigrette to finish it. A very good sandwich is difficult to beat.

Advertisement